View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:11 pm 
I used the 8.1->8.2 upgrade script to do what appeared to be a successful upgrade (after changing my pacman.conf to point to the -testing repos), but after rebooting, X-windows won't run on the console on my backend/frontend machine. I'm still able to connect via the web interface and ssh, though. I'm running on a virtual machine on vSphere. Any ideas why X might break during this upgrade?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:20 am 
Anything in the message.log? From ssh what do you see from:
Code:
sudo sv restart frontend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:52 am 
sudo sv restart frontend didn't print anything of note. I'm not getting X at all, not even for running the backend setup.

Another data point is that I created a new VM, nstalled a fresh version of 8.1.1, and then did the upgrade. X was working fine in 8.1.1 but never worked after the upgrade. I'll try to do some more investigation with the log and configuration files over the next few days if I have the time.

Are there plans to release an 8.2 ISO?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:49 am 
Also take a look at the /var/log/$DATE/$hostname_frontend.log for some clues.

I have done dozens of R8.1 to R8.2 upgrades in both VMs (VirtuaBox) and real boxes have have not run into losing X. So this is a new one. There was just an update to xconfig.sh so if you could try again and then run xconfig.sh manually. And the /tmp/xconfig.log.

Yes there will be a R8.2 iso but it isn't quite ready yet which is why we have not made 8.2 final.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:30 pm 
Here are another couple of data points: I used the 8.2 ISO to do an upgrade from 8.1.1 and also a fresh install and both resulted in no X. I'm running vSphere 5.1.0.

I'll do some further investigation on xconfig.sh and the log files.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:36 pm 
I have two installations set up side-by-side, 8.1.1 and 8.2, and I haven't been able to find any significant differences in the configuration or log files between the two.

I did stumble on something promising, though: I renamed /usr/bin/plymouthd to /usr/bin/plymouthd-bak to disable it on the 8.2 system and I got X back. Unfortunately, I don't know the correct way to disable it, but I thought that might be a good data point for someone who might know what's changed in that area in 8.2. I'll try to continue my investigation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:09 am 
plymouth is the boot splash. You can disable it on install from the iso by choosing the second option. It can also be disabled in LinHES Settings --> Advanced.