View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: LinHES and ZFS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:32 am 
I've been attempting to get the zfs-utils, zfs-dkms, dkms, spl, ... installed on R8.2 LinHes. I've been running into troubles, and was wondering if they could be added to the LinHES repo?

Thank you
Bill S.

Post subject: Re: LinHES and ZFS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:52 am 
Just as a follow up, if anybody cares...

My system configuration is presently:

A mix of 500G, 1TB and 2TB drives controlled by LinHES under /data/storage used for transient media, recordings and what not.

A group of 3TB drives in a mirrored BTRFS configuration which I want to switch to a ZFS Raid configuration since BTRFS doesn't have Raid. I actually wanted to use ZFS when I originally set up the driveset, but it wasn't available, and I had similar problems trying to make it available.
This driveset is currently used for long term media storage. 4 presently in use. This is not written to very frequently, mostly read access, and at present time, it is completely backed up.

A couple of 3TB drives holding backups and other archives from my years of running MythTV in various incarnations, which I just finished going through and moving everything I wish to keep out to USB drives, so they are available now.

And, two new 3TB drives purchased to replace recent drive failures.

So, I have a total of 8 3TB drives I wish to configure in a RAID array, and I'd like to use ZFS for that. Thinking I want 3 parity drives.

I picked up a Norco 4020 last year for a good price, which I promptly filled up with old HD's that I had rotated out of the server through the years. Of course those drives are now dying.... Lost 500G last month, and the two 2TB WD Greens went simultaneously in August (DON"T BUY WD GREENS!!!!)

Post subject: Re: LinHES and ZFS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:00 pm 
Dude that is a lot of drives!