View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:36 pm 
So the new CPU/old drives thread was timely...I had my master backend die last night, luckily one of my SBEs was running the identical motherboard, so I popped it out and used it in the MBE.

Booted up, changed the static IP routing in my router and everything was looking good...until I went to play a recording, it started and within ~2 seconds the MBE rebooted.

Tried it again and same, tried live TV and same, seemed like any time I try and view Live TV or a recording on the MBE it causes it to crash and reboot. I repair the DB after each crash as it shows various table with users who are using or did not exit properly. Using any of the 3 SBEs allows me to view TV, recordings, basically they act normally with every test/trial I've tried with them.

I burned the latest ISO to a USB drive and upgraded all the system, and see the same results. BTW great job on the ISO's, I was able to get an Intel video MB setup that I have previously throw into the "some day" pile and am using it as the replacement MB for the SBE system I robbed the MB from to get the MBE working.

Luckily I don't use the MBE for viewing, other than when testing/setting up the system, so not using the FE side of the MBE is not a problem short term.

So with all of that said, I'm really not sure where to start troubleshooting this.

Anything come to mind from the described symptoms?

Thanks in advance!
Bruce.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:23 pm 
With the reboot on playing back a video my first guess would be video drivers. When you swapped the SBE and MBE motherboards did you change video cards? What video card and playback profile are you using?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:36 pm 
brfransen wrote:
With the reboot on playing back a video my first guess would be video drivers. When you swapped the SBE and MBE motherboards did you change video cards? What video card and playback profile are you using?

They are both ionitx boards with nvidea drivers, vdpau normal, literally identical board, so no change in video driver or cards.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:39 am 
If this helps trigger any ideas, it appears that I can play all recordings on the MBE made with the new MB, when I try and play recordings on the MBE made with the old MB, the system crashes after 3 to 5 seconds of playback. I reflagged commercials on one of the old recording, but when I tried to play it on the MBE the system crashed.

Checked the display setting and all appears normal (vdpau normal used), I did not change these to another type for testing, perhaps next test window I will give that a try.

On the live tv side, doing a brief initial test, if I start live tv and immediately pause it I can then change inputs and it appears to work, but did not have time to let it run for more than a minute or so. This was long enough to see a difference in symptoms, not long enough to point an issue back to a specific input. Next chance to troubleshoot I will test each of the 6 hdhr inputs to see if there are any anomalies in operation.

My SBEs can play either recordings (and live tv) without causing crashes.

Checked the settings on the MBE, and there seemed to be a difference in audio outputs used. I changed them so that LinHES and Mythtv audio both tested fine. I was getting audio out prior to making the change, so I had hope this may have been the issue, but testing after the changes I'm still seeing the crashes outlined.

Anything come to mind with this additional info?

Thanks!
Bruce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:24 pm 
Have you checked the Xorg log or mythfrontend log?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:07 pm 
I did, but really didn't see anything that jumped out at me, but not really knowing what I'm looking for....

When I'm able to spend time troubleshooting, I will note times and investigate the logs immediately after a failure to see what I can see and preserve them so I can ask more specific questions.

Thanks!
Bruce.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:58 pm 
So in the interim, I've had some unusual failures on the MBE, not hard crashes, more like gentle failures and reboots. I gave it some thought and puzzled over the lack of anything I could readily identify as an issue in the logs and thought to myself, I had one hardware failure (old MB) and replaced it with an exact replica/vintage board...what are the chances that both of them are starting to flake.

So I had time to either troubleshoot or swap hardware, but not both.

I once again swapped out the MBs. Basically the Intel Graphics MB that I had installed to replace the Nvidea MB from the SBE, was swapped into service as the MBE, while the Nvidea MB went back to its original position as the SBE. Again, thanks for the upgrade ISO pointer, I can attest to that being a very easy way to preserve your recordings and migrating from one MB to a very different one (multiple times :) ).

So, currently everything appears to be working normally, we will see what happens to the MBE once it gets hit with having to deal with multiple recordings while streaming a recording.

I will keep an eye on the Nvidea MB in the seldom used SBE to see what the logs show and bite the bullet and replace it down the road when it fails.

Bruce.