View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:57 am 
I feel like a moron because I can't figure out how to Migrate my backend from my virtual machine to a real machine. This is the definition of a first world problem
I have my Backend running in a VirtualBox VM on my Dell Windows 10 PC. The VM is on a secondary 1TB drive that I want to move to the Lenovo.
I just bought a used Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p with a 128 GB SSD and I have successfully installed R8.5.1 on it.
I have 52 recordings taking up 215gb of space in the VM plus a few GB of videos.
I have a third computer a laptop running Manjaro with less than 160 of free space.
I have an NTFS formatted 2TB USB drive with more than 1TB of free space.
So how do I move my files without running into any permissions issues.
I thought about moving my VM to the external Drive and booting it from there then I can move the 1tb drive from my dell to the Lenovo and reformat it in LinHES. Moving the 300 GB of data over USB takes a while and then I'd have to do it twice.
Currently for both LinHES installs to co-exist on the same network they have 2 host names. If I migrate my backend I will want to restore my original hostname and database through the Backup and restore function. I can see both network shares through my Linux Laptop, (Windows 10 broke something in a recent update and samba stopped working for me).

So there it is. What am I missing. I'm going to go mow the lawn and clear my head. hopefully someone smarter than me reads this.

MattBatt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:00 pm 
I forgot to mention that I have a Manjaro VM also in Windows that I can mount the LinHES vdi drives to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:22 am 
OK so here's where I'm at:
I moved my VirtualBox LinHES folder to my external drive (almost 4 hours), I confirmed that it was running just fine and I even had to stop tinkering long enough to record a show.
I added a dual boot install of Manjaro on my Lenovo computer. I wanted a full featured Linux to access my drives directly.
I moved my 1 tb secondary drive from my dell to my Lenovo. Due to some size constraints and right angle SATA connectors, making that work took longer than it should have.
I booted into my LinHES installation on the Lenovo and did a destructive
Code:
add_storage.py
to add my disk to it's repertoire.
I did some research and found this little gem How to mount a VirtualBox VDI image
Manjaro did have QEMU available in Pamac and I was able to follow the instructions as listed to mount my VDI image from my external Hard drive as a drive on the system. I mounted my 1TB LinHES disk in Manjaro and started a copy from the VDI to LinHES using
Code:
cp -a /run/media/mattbatt/media/UUID1/. /run/media/mattbatt/UUID2/
noting that "-a" "It attempts to make a copy that's as close to the original as possible: same directory tree, same file types, same contents, same metadata (times, permissions, extended attributes, etc.)." and the /. copies everything in the directory.
Several Hours later after 250 Gb of files transfer we will know if it works.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:55 am 
Only 18 hours later and everything is working. Well almost everything I have to go back and fix the storage directories and fiddle with some settings but 98% done and I'm going to bed.