View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:49 pm 
I had some problems building a new box from scratch using the latest 8.5.2 install media:

I have an existing LinHES server (let's call it Myth03), that's already running LinHES, and it was working perfectly and only one recent update behind (because I'd read there were LIRC issues and I wasn't ready to take that on just yet).

Over on the other side of the room, then, I built my system and went through the setup process. I intend to have two separate, independent MythTV boxes each running as a backend and frontend, self contained. The second machine had been Mythbuntu 12.04 (actually the THIRD was LinHES, the first, retired being MythDora), because I wanted two different platforms in case some issue killed one of them. (Genetic diversity, if you will, which paid off when MythDora and later Mythbuntu went extinct.)

So, the new system would be called Myth04-2, and again, run separately and independently from Myth03.

I was having some issues setting up the tuner cards, and as I went through the setup again, I noticed that it had set itself up to use Myth03 as it's backend. This is NOT what I wanted, so I changed it again to be a master backend and frontend. Sometime that evening, I finally got TV and sound on the new Myth04-2, got my NAS videos mounted and confirmed all was well, but all was not well.

The remote's "OK" button (MCE remote) would not select any menu choices. I figured I'd fix that later and went to watch TV on Myth03. The remote's "OK" button didn't work on that either! I rebooted it and the remote started working. I watched a couple of videos and went to bed.

Monday evening, I realized that Myth03 was not recording anymore. Mythweb shows NO upcoming recordings, although my recording schedules appears intact.

Suspecting an issue with the tuner card (because I forgot to stop mythbackend and the card was not accessible) I recreated both tuners in my Hauppauge HVR-2250. I can watch live TV, so that tells me the tuners are working again. Still no programs.

Attached is the mythbackend log that tells what happened, first in the afternoon, and then at or around 21:40ish.
Attachment:
myth03_mythbackend 20180120.log.gz [38.98 KiB]
Downloaded 608 times

Earlier, at about 17:26-ish, you'll see a reference to an NFL football game and an attempt to delete that. Remember, this is Myth03's log, and that system was supposed to be minding its own business, and I was across the room watching live TV to see if the tuner card was working. So, that's why Myth03 couldn't delete the associated file.

The question is, how do I recover from this cross contamination?

I'm not exactly a MythTV expert, especially with the database and all that, which is a testament to how reliable LinHES and Mythbuntu have both been up until now.

I just wish some dialog would have popped up asking me if it was OK for my new system to start talking to other systems on my network, especially if they were going to make changes.

At this time, I'd like to fix the current problem, and then resolve the LIRC issue on the new system before I apply the latest updates, so please don't ask me to update my broken system "just because". It's only one update behind, and the new one is less than a week old, I believe.

Thanks!

Dan
MythDora 10 (retired)
Mythbuntu 12.04 (needs to be retired)
LinHES 8.5.2 (need a second one)
Hauppauge HVR-2250 x 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:23 am 
MythTV 29 changed how backend and mysql selection is done to make things easier. In some cases it has made some things that LinHES took care of for the user harder.

Your systems are confused about which backend and sql server to use.

First double check that in MythFrontend Service Menu > MythTV Settings > Setup > General > Database Config > Hostname has the right IP or hostname. This should write to the /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml file.

Then in mythtv-setup check General > Host Address Backend > Setup check the Primary IP Address/DNS name and Master Backend Name are correct and This Server is the Master needs to be checked. In my experience the key to keeping the 2 backends separate is Listen on All IP Addresses needs to be unchecked and the IPv4 Address needs to be set to the current backend.

Do this on each of the backends.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:06 pm 
One thing I was looking for but unable to find on line was a LinHES version of instructions on how to restore from a specific file to get my system back to a state before the new LinHES box hosed me.

I wasn't able to find specific information on line, but came up with my own plan:

I learned that LinHES has its own script that creates backups of various files including the mythconverg database, which is done daily at (in my case) just before midnight.

The backups go to /data/storage/disk0/backup/system_backups

Each daily backup is in its own file. While I was hoping to find a way to run the actual command and specify one file, instead I created a directory called "hidden_backups" (or something like that) and moved newer backups there, so the most recent backup in the system_backups directory was the one I wanted.

Now, Mythweb shows my box (Myth03) is set to record programs according to my schedule!

If anyone wanted to write up a cleaner way to do this, or point me to where I missed it, please do.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:21 pm 
This wiki has more info on the automated backup in LinHES. /usr/LH/bin/lh_system_restore_job requires the name of the backup to restore and is what you were looking for to specify which backup. I just modified the wiki to add that info.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:58 pm 
... And another thing...

Now I know why the mythbackend security PIN is important.

When I ran multiple platforms, I never worried about my Mythbuntu latching on to my LinHES, or vice versa, so I just left the backend PIN at 0000, so I could play (like see if I can watch videos from my DIRECTV DVR, which I can't).

So now, after restoring my original LinHES (Myth03), I re-ran mythtv-setup and changed the PIN to something other than 0000 and other than blank.

Hopefully that will keep any future MythTVs from grabbing my mythbackend without permission! (#metoo ;-)

I type this for the next person who runs into this same problem, but if I'm honest, in a few years it could be me, having forgotten that I put this here!

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:09 pm 
brfransen wrote:
This wiki has more info on the automated backup in LinHES. /usr/LH/bin/lh_system_restore_job requires the name of the backup to restore and is what you were looking for to specify which backup. I just modified the wiki to add that info.

Thank you for that. Although, given my problems, I think it was best to stash those bad backups away anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 pm 
brfransen wrote:
MythTV 29 changed how backend and mysql selection is done to make things easier. In some cases it has made some things that LinHES took care of for the user harder.

Your systems are confused about which backend and sql server to use.

First double check that in MythFrontend Service Menu > MythTV Settings > Setup > General > Database Config > Hostname has the right IP or hostname. This should write to the /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml file.

Then in mythtv-setup check General > Host Address Backend > Setup check the Primary IP Address/DNS name and Master Backend Name are correct and This Server is the Master needs to be checked. In my experience the key to keeping the 2 backends separate is Listen on All IP Addresses needs to be unchecked and the IPv4 Address needs to be set to the current backend.

Do this on each of the backends.

I hate it when software tries to "make things easier", but doesn't tell you what it's doing, and actually makes things more difficult. (But, it did force me to learn more about how MythTV works.)

As far as hard coding IP addresses, I use reserved DHCP addressing, and the image I'm building is actually in a different system than it will be when finished, and when I finally swap out the hard drive, it'll pick up a different IP.

In the past, 127.0.0.1 has always worked with previous versions, so I'm hoping that if I'm careful to make the new system a combination front/back end, it should work, but if it goes poking its nose into other backend servers, the PIN will prevent access.

We'll find out when I decide to image the new LinHES again.

Dan