View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Any success with FireTV?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:29 am 
We have a Toshiba FireTV in our living room. It's connected to our network and able to successfully play content off our NAS using Kodi, including HD programming. However, it doesn't seem to be able to play HD or SD MythTV recordings. I installed the Mythling app and was able to see my library immediately, but all of the videos fail to play back. I usually get a frame or two with lots of green. No audio either as far as I can tell. I'm aware the Myth recordings are in a different format than the mkv files on the NAS, but I was surprised even the small SD recordings failed. Is there anything else to try, or is this TV not powerful enough to playback Myth?

If the TV can't work on its own, I'm considering a Pi 3 or 4 to serve as the frontend. Any feedback about using it as a client?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:33 pm 
I believe I tried a fire stick with kodi briefly. I dont remember tv completely failing, but I thought it was difficult to navigate and very sluggish. I'm not sure if a fire tv would be more or less powerful.

I ultimately got a raspberry pi 3. I installed raspbian and the mpeg2 decoder and mythtv light and was not real happy with the performance. I installed kodi and playback was much better, but it was still a bit sluggish at times. I have a number of cron jobs on this pi and so I didnt really want to try a new OS or do anything to break it.

Just about a week ago I got the pi 4 with 1 GB ram and installed libreelec on it. It seems more responsive (not sure if it is because of the hardware or libreelec). I have not used it extensively as it is on a secondary tv. It might be sufficient for a main tv, especially if you have cec so that you can control it from the tv remote. It does not have the ability to hardware decode mpeg2, which is a mild problem for me since my recordings are mpeg2. Also, it is in the official rpi case and idling at 54C (ambient temp is 63F) and playing back mpeg2 video I've seen it reach 74C which is significantly higher than the pi3. Throttling would begin at 80C.

If I were in your position, I don't know which version of the pi I would select, but I would probably use libreelec as the OS. Mythtv light may have improved as my recollection is that it was quite new when I tried it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:36 am 
Thanks for the reply. Kodi works quite well on the FireTV so I was hoping Mythling would as well. The part I haven't tried is installing the myth-pvr-addon to see if somehow that's able to play MythTV recordings better than Mythling. The other variable I'm hoping to eliminate soon is the network. I'm in the middle of a whole-house ethernet install, but until it's complete the FireTV and backend are connected via a wifi extender. No doubt that is much slower than I'll want for HD programs, but I was hoping SD programs would play wirelessly.

I have a Pi4 that will eventually become a Pihole, but for now I might install Openelec on it to see how it fares. We've been using Openelec successfully for years on the ION box in the bedroom; hopefully it will go just as well on the Pi4.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:04 pm 
I have not used mythling. I have only used pvr.mythtv which has worked very well. If you have the means to get it on your fire TV, definitely try that first.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:02 pm 
I tried myth PVR in Kodi and it works great! Even with the less-than-ideal network, it was able to play HD content from the other room.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:23 pm 
Great to hear. Not sure if it will be a problem for you, but I find that pvr.mythtv does cause a problem with mythwelcome shutting down my machine. I presume that kodi will be exiting when you turn the tv off, so maybe it wont be an issue for you. On my raspberry pi I have a script to disable pvr.mythtv each night as a workaround and then I enable it whenever I want to use it.