View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:07 pm 
Hi, yesterday after what should have been a routine reboot I suddenly lost all remote functionality from my HVR-1600 card. Neither blasting nor receiving works and the /dev/lirc0 device is gone. I tried rebooting and dropping power to the system in case that brought it back. I also tried creating the device manually but still no luck. Here's a snippet from /var/log/lircd showing the error both before and after adding the device:

Code:
Nov  1 18:03:47 paulsid-tv lircd: caught signal
Nov  1 18:03:48 paulsid-tv lircd: lircd(default) ready
Nov  1 18:03:49 paulsid-tv lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Nov  1 18:03:49 paulsid-tv lircd: could not open /dev/lirc0
Nov  1 18:03:49 paulsid-tv lircd: default_init(): No such device or address
Nov  1 18:03:49 paulsid-tv lircd: WARNING: Failed to initialize hardware
Nov  1 18:04:17 paulsid-tv lircd: caught signal
Nov  1 18:05:14 paulsid-tv lircd: lircd(default) ready
Nov  1 18:05:21 paulsid-tv lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Nov  1 18:05:21 paulsid-tv lircd: could not get file information for /dev/lirc0
Nov  1 18:05:21 paulsid-tv lircd: default_init(): No such file or directory
Nov  1 18:05:21 paulsid-tv lircd: WARNING: Failed to initialize hardware
Nov  1 18:05:22 paulsid-tv lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd

The only curious thing to me is that lsmod shows no modules loaded related to lirc... the only one even close is ir_common. Under R5.5 I remember there were a few like lirc_dev and lirc_pvr150 but I don't know if those are supposed to be there under the new R6 kernel. If there are modules missing does anyone know what they are called or how to get them back? I tried modprobe on those two above without success.

This wasn't the first time I've rebooted so I don't understand what went wrong. Does anyone else have any ideas? Unfortunately I'm unable to record anything without the blaster for my STB so I'm kinda stuck... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:11 pm 
Okay, I'm an idiot. There are indeed supposed to be lirc modules showing up in lsmod and they weren't for the very good reason that lirc was not installed! :oops: I finally wised up and grepped for lirc in the entire set of logs (not just one or two) and saw in the pacman log that it had very clearly been removed about a week ago and not reinstalled. This was just the first time I'd rebooted since then. Reinstalled it and all is normal.

So why was lirc uninstalled? I had to retrace my steps but I'm pretty sure it was because I was looking at trying to get the blasting for the HD PVR working, and I uninstalled the module so I could move to a source install for lirc to apply the patches. However it quickly became apparent that it was going to be a ton of work if it was even possible at all, so I gave up, but forgot to reinstall the old lirc package.

Oh well, live and learn...