View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:05 pm 
Hey all,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I've had and enjoyed my PVR-150 for the last few years. However, the recent change to digital-past-31 on Comcast has left me out of luck for recording (curse you, USA Network).

I'm looking for a simple inexpensive PCI card (or if one isn't available, USB) that will work with MythTV and replace my current one. Doesn't have to be fancy HD/HDMI - I just use my box to record the shows I miss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:13 pm 
The pcHDTV HD-5500 is my recommendation for a PCI card, but also consider one of the HD HomeRun network devices. You can often find the HD HR bundled with small 4/5 port Gig-E switches at a substantial discount.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:53 am 
Ravenium wrote:
Hey all,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I've had and enjoyed my PVR-150 for the last few years. However, the recent change to digital-past-31 on Comcast has left me out of luck for recording (curse you, USA Network).

I'm looking for a simple inexpensive PCI card (or if one isn't available, USB) that will work with MythTV and replace my current one. Doesn't have to be fancy HD/HDMI - I just use my box to record the shows I miss.

I don't know how they would work for your situation, but you might want to check out this thread.
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19799

I started out with a PVR-500. After getting some advice here, I bought 2 of these cards and after a minor tweak:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ATI_HDTV_Wonder#VE_Varient

I haven't had any issues with them at all. Not bad for a pair of cards that ran about $22 shipped.

As always YMMV.

L0o0ky

Post subject: I like both ideas...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:38 pm 
I think right now, given that my system is an ancient (by Moore's Law standards - 2003) Shuttle box with a 1.83 ghz Athlon and a 160 gig ATA-100 HDD, it's probably easier to put a quick band-aid on it and then start saving for a new build with HDTV than it is to buy an awesome card and then worry about cooler things coming down the line in a couple years.

Right now I basically use it as a cheap PVR to record SD shows I happen to miss/fall asleep during as well as a Linux host for Airfoil Speakers. Having DVB for all the standard channels would be plenty.

Thanks for the helpful ideas, guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:55 pm 
Almost forgot - I take it there's no remote with this? Not the biggest worry - I could just use my iPhone's MythTV control :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:17 pm 
The HD HomeRun will work with your existing remote from the PVR-150.

Having worked with and helped folks troubleshoot a lot of TV capture cards over the years I've got to say that the HD HR is a really great device and a breeze to setup and configure. It's not a cheapo solution, but the reliability and lack of difficulties made it money well spent IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:31 pm 
It looks like a neat little device, not to mention can be used from multiple PCs in a house (no need to go to the other room to watch the game while working).

I'm a little confused how it handles analog channels though. I take it that it doesn't do it, but then how would you get the lower (1-31) channels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:52 pm 
Comcast generally duplicates those in the digital set and that's where their converter boxes get them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:54 pm 
Ravenium wrote:
It looks like a neat little device, not to mention can be used from multiple PCs in a house (no need to go to the other room to watch the game while working).

I'm a little confused how it handles analog channels though. I take it that it doesn't do it, but then how would you get the lower (1-31) channels?

You would keep the PVR-150 in place, and add the HDHR to pick up the channels that went digital. This is exactly how my system is setup.

That being said however, there may be duplicates of the analog stations in the digital area, so the 150 may not get used any way, which is also the case for me. The only time the analog tuner gets used is when there are more shows being recorded simultaneously than the HDHR can handle.