View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:07 pm 
When I am watching recorded show, often my system becomes unresponsive to commands from my streamzap remote control. Eventually all the commands that I issue will be executed but that may take 2 minutes and then they will all go at once. When the system doesn't respond to the streamzap it will generally respond to my keyboard.

My system specs:
2.2GHZ core-2 cpu
2 GB memory
Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE video
Streamzap remote
HD5500 tuner
1 HDhomerun tuner

Linhes 6.0.1 with all available stable updates.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:27 pm 
Any chance that it's IR interference?
While warming up, my Samsung LCD tv will throw off IR interference that interferes with my Streamzap remote. The Streamzap receiver LED (directly under the tv) will flicker during this time.
My wife and I often have "remote wars". She's using the stereo remote to turn down the volume as I'm trying to do some with the Streamzap remote. The remote from my Onkyo receiver always wins and interferes with the Streamzap function.

2GB RAM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:54 am 
My Streamzap is delayed when I haven't been using it for a while. For example, in the morning, I'll go to Media Library -> Watch Recordings. The delay is around 5 or 6 seconds, and after the first response it's back to normal. I'm sure it's something new with LinHES (it never happened with Knoppmyth), and it seems like lircd is going to sleep. Doesn't bother me, though, and there are never any really long delays. My system is a Dragon 2, CPU is E6300 and
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

gives the line:
Quote:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz

So your host is probably faster than mine and the problem is unlikely to be CPU related.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:38 pm 
I experience what krmiller described pretty much exactly. I have a fully updated Dragon 2 system, using a Streamzap IR receiver (although I've replaced the remote with a universal remote).

I don't think that IR interference is causing this; that would make signals simply get lost, yes? Instead, its like they're building up in a queue, but not being processed until a minute or two later when they all fall through at once. The system is fully responsive to input from other sources the whole time.

I only notice this buildup of commands when I'm watching a recording. Sometimes in the menus myth will stop responding to the remote, but I don't see the same behavior of executing all the built up commands at once.

Post subject: more info
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:06 pm 
So today when I was having the unresponsive streamzap I ssh'd in remotely and ran top which showed me that the "X" process was taking 99% of the CPU. Is there some optimization I should turn on? Below is my cpuinfo

[root@klinhes ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 13
cpu MHz : 2399.859
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arc h_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_l m
bogomips : 4801.70
clflush size : 64
power management:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 13
cpu MHz : 2399.859
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arc h_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_l m
bogomips : 4801.96
clflush size : 64
power management:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:56 am 
Universal remotes sometime experience this kind of behavior. I know for a fact that my Harmony remote does this. Tweaking the remote setup can help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:49 pm 
Did anyone every figure out why X is sucking up the CPU for a few seconds after a period of inactivity? My delay is similar to manicmike's (about 5 seconds) and while it is not a show stopper, it is annoying.