View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Solid state disks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:50 pm 
I've just started messing with solid state disks and decided to put one in one of my frontends, since the wife is complaining that it's so slow and complicated to start things up. Well, the boot is still slow - no perceivable difference - but it's now very much more responsive to the remote. It even suits the stressful and impatient. :D

For this purpose, the smallest kind is fully adequate. They are quite reasonably priced, but forget to put your main repository on one!

I can heartily recommend the SSD:s, but buy them as you go along. The development phase we are in currently, means that even next week you can probably get a faster drive to the same price. I choose to see that as something very positive, but it can also be annoying... :shock:

For disk cloning I recommend Ghost for Linux, G4L: http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/
However, since your new SSD probably will be smaller than your current electromechanical drive, you will need to shrink your partitions with GParted first: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Good luck!

/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:26 pm 
I recently put one in my ASUS eeePC and found that it is awesome. Great piece of kit, although I could not see how this would go in a FE only machine if you could netboot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:27 am 
How does netboot speed things up? There is still a hard disk lurking somewhere, in addition to the network delay? :?:

Cheers,
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Post subject: Re: Solid state disks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:08 am 
cahlfors wrote:
I've just started messing with solid state disks and decided to put one in one of my frontends, since the wife is complaining that it's so slow and complicated to start things up. Well, the boot is still slow - no perceivable difference - but it's now very much more responsive to the remote. It even suits the stressful and impatient. :D

For this purpose, the smallest kind is fully adequate. They are quite reasonably priced, but forget to put your main repository on one!

I can heartily recommend the SSD:s, but buy them as you go along. The development phase we are in currently, means that even next week you can probably get a faster drive to the same price. I choose to see that as something very positive, but it can also be annoying... :shock:

For disk cloning I recommend Ghost for Linux, G4L: http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/
However, since your new SSD probably will be smaller than your current electromechanical drive, you will need to shrink your partitions with GParted first: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Good luck!

/Chris

I've been thinking about getting a +/- 30GB SSD for my MBE and then also use it to 'netboot' two other FEs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:54 am 
cahlfors wrote:
How does netboot speed things up? There is still a hard disk lurking somewhere, in addition to the network delay? :?:

Cheers,
/Chris

If the boot image is in RAM it could speed booting up tremendously with a fast, switched network.

Mike