View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:08 pm 
I am going to try one last time to install myth on a new box. I have tried mythbuntu and it fails to recognize any tuner card I have tried it with. I have heard that knoppmyth is better so I'm planing on using that one. I don't want to play games, I just want to buy a card that will work right out of the box.

I have tried with mythbuntu: Dvico Fusion HDTV5 RT GOLD USB and it fails to recognize it. Also, my twinhan 1027 DVB card is ignored.

So basically, what ATSC tuner card should I get? It has to be reasonably priced, work flawlessly with knoppmyth, good signal reception, and be still in production and supported. Oh, and also, it has to be PCI, not pciExpress.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:36 am 
I would suggest a HDHomeRun even though it's not PCI and it's more expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:28 pm 
As I've said in other threads:

Pinnacle 800i PC HDTV card.

There's not many if ANY PCI tuners made any more...so this is probably the best and the LAST of them. Hauppauge now owns the Pinnacle cards, so I'm not sure of their future.

I purchased two of them on eBay....about $40 each + shipping. They work very well with MythTV. I'm only using the ATSC tuner, the analog side is useless to me.

IF you can find them for sale....go for it!

The HDHR is great if you're looking for an external tuner, but you're looking for an internal card.... The 800i is your best bet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:02 am 
The HDHomerun is awesome. I highly recommend it!

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:27 pm 
Thanks guys. Now I'm off to download the latest. Lets hope it works this time.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:04 pm 
Well I downloaded R5.5 which is supposed to be the latest stable version. Things didn't go that well. The install got to the part where it says "Formatting /dev/hda1 as ext3...", jumped immediately to 14% and then got stuck with no disk activity.

I thought that the problem may be due to a pre-existing Windows NTFS format so I booted up with my Puppy Linux flash drive and used that to repartition and reformat the entire HDD as EXT3.

When I restarted the Knoppmyth install CD, it did exactly the same thing as before.

So it looks like my mini-itx asus AT3N7A-I motherboard is incompatible with knoppmyth. I will have to wait for the next release before I can do anything with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:28 pm 
You want LinHES R6.

ftp://knoppmyth.net/R6/Current/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:06 pm 
I've got a vague recollection that i had the halting at 14% problem, and from memory it was to do with the ISE/SATA settings in the BIOS. I think i changed from ACHI (or to ACHI), can remember... but I changed something on that, and I got past the 14% thing. That was with R5.5 too, but like the OP, please go to LH6, it rocks... im on 0.23 testing, and its rock solid!

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:16 pm 
Thanks guys, I'm downloading R6 right now. I'll post back what happens.

I'm kind of pissed that motherboard manufacturers can't get their act together and stick to one way of doing things instead of changing things all around so that you need a new OS for every motherboard they put out.

I loaded XP 64 on this MB and it worked really well until I needed a driver they don't make. Then I put regular XP on it and its acting funny. Puppy linux has been fairly stable, but won't recognize a big FAT drive. It works fine with the SATA drive (both EXT3 and NTFS), a thumb drive and a CD, but for some reason it doesn't like the big FAT drive (1TB).

So given my previous experience with this Motherboard, I'm not expecting it to work flawlessly.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:38 am 
I finally got my system backed up and tried to install LinHes Knoppmyth. I got as far as a yellow splash screen that says "Booting the system (100%)". And then it just sits there and flashes the screen every 15 seconds. There is also a "Press F2 for verbose mode" so I pressed F2 and all that does it throw me into a command prompt with no instructions as to what I should do.

I just don't think that linux in general is compatable with this motherboard. I guess its time to just throw it in the closet and go and buy a commercial unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:31 pm 
If I were in the position of buying a new MB, i'd be seriously looking down the ion path... small form factor, powerful enough for HD and commercial detection etc... zotac had a nice one a few months back, i'm guessing theres plenty more players in the market now.

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:51 am 
The MB I'm using is an ASUS AT3N7A which is a mini ITX (7"x7") with built in mpeg-2 and h.264 decoding with a direct HDMI output. Its also a dual core intel atom running at 1.6g. When running windows and decoding a 1080i broadcast, the cpu never got over 12%. It really sounds good on paper, but its just not quite ready for prime time.

I installed windows xp on it and it was a nightmare to figure out how to get hdmi sound working. If anybody is reading this and has the same problem, the solution is to NOT use the ASUS drivers that come on the CD or from their website and to download the nvidia drivers, all of them, directly from the nvidia site. Then go to system sounds in the control panel and select NVIDIA HD sound. Given that HDMI video came right up and worked out of the box with no drivers, the HDMI sound thing was very disappointing.

As far as the Linux distros, I haven't found one that can work with the HDMI sound properly.

I did finally get a hauppage 1600 because a guy claimed it worked with myth. Myth did recognize it, but it is extremely signal deaf. I scanned and it found no channels. I can get several dozen with my dvico and windows. Unfortunately, myth doesn't support dvico usb.

Anyhow, it looks like I'm just going to have to wait for linux to support this MB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:53 am 
I'm surprised you are having so much trouble with the Asus. Mine just worked out-of-the-box (including HDMI sound.... without tweeking asound.conf..... hdmi was a defined device after install).

Capture cards are a different story. The best solution is to just get one that a lot of people are already using successfully.

I'm currently playing with mythbuntu. Unfortunately, upgrading to 10.4 degraded my DVB card performance and I had to downgrade to 9.10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:40 am 
larrybpsu wrote:
As I've said in other threads:

Pinnacle 800i PC HDTV card.

There's not many if ANY PCI tuners made any more...so this is probably the best and the LAST of them. Hauppauge now owns the Pinnacle cards, so I'm not sure of their future.

I purchased two of them on eBay....about $40 each + shipping. They work very well with MythTV. I'm only using the ATSC tuner, the analog side is useless to me.

IF you can find them for sale....go for it!

The HDHR is great if you're looking for an external tuner, but you're looking for an internal card.... The 800i is your best bet.

Took your advice and bought one off Ebay for a machine using pci cards...
(My inside network is overrun with HDHR's for other machines...)

Works 100% !

Thanks !......

:D