View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:23 pm 
I decided to retire my ancient combined front/backend to simply serve as a backend - it has been very faithful, but also has always been noisy and unable to play HD content. So I chose the EB1501, and decided to try a new distro as a frontend. As I have used Arch for some years now, LinHES in its current incarnation seemed like an ideal choice.

So far, it has been very good, but I'm struggling to get the built-in IR receiver to work. There are instructions here, but they're "in Debian", which I've never used. I tried to copy the needed file to /etc/modprobe.d, and did "echo activate > /sys/devices/pnp0/00:09/resources", but modprobing lirc_it87 only gets me "lirc_it87: no IT8705/12 found, exiting.." in dmesg. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, ideally I'd like to not use the keyboard at all.

On a completely unrelated note, I installed torrentflux as per the instructions found in the how to-section - that went flawlessly, but as I've configured this machine to be simply a frontend, MySQL isn't started automatically. I can do this manually with /etc/rc.d/mysqld start, but I noticed that adding mysqld to the daemons array won't start MySQL at boot. Similiarly, sshd is not there, but gets (thankfully, it's very handy) started on boot. So where do I add mysqld to be started on every boot? Sorry if this a stupid question, I know that while being Arch-based LinHES still has some differencies.

Last edited by alanmies on Sun May 09, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:53 pm 
Damn, I should never post a question so hastily - anyway, for further reference, if anyone should be having problems with this, the problem was that the version of lirc is too old in R6. The Arch wiki has a comprehensive description on how to build your own packages, but basically you'll need more current versions of both lirc and lirc-utils. Download the tarballs (PKGBUILDs and related files, not the actual packages) by searching for the packages from the Arch home page. All the dependencies you'll need will be in the LinHES repositories, except for help2man, which you can either download from the regular Arch extra repositories or build yourself. Some dependencies are not listed in the PKGBUILDs (at least make, automake and autoconf), but they're fairly easy to figure out.

As for building lirc and lirc-utils, simply change _kernver to 2.6.28-LinHES in lirc PKGBUILD, and modify depends to use kernel26>=2.6.28 and makedepends to use kernel-headers>=2.6.28 (you can omit the maxium kernel versions - do note that stock Arch uses kernel26-headers so be sure to change that). Comment out the patch for lirc as it is for 2.6.33. Then build both packages - when installing, you'll have to first remove lirc before you can upgrade lirc-utils, then upgrade lirc. And voilĂ , your bog-standard mce remote works with the built-in receiver. (provided that you've done the "echo activate > /sys/devices/pnp0/00:09/resources" part, if you get an error while modprobing lirc_it87, rmmod lirc_dev first - now who says Linux isn't user friendly? ;)

Anyway, I'm still a bit puzzled about starting daemons in LinHES, I know the /etc/rc.d-way but apparently I'm supposed to use add_service.sh - still, I'd like to know where the services that start at boot are listed, so I'm grateful if someone can help me there.