View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:38 pm 
Hi,

Not sure to understand how to install a RS232 homebrew IR receiver + remote control with R6.02.00. Installer provides no choice for such a configuration, am I right ? How to setup LinHES to get it working in that case ? Regular LIRC documentation does not help enough here.

I already discussed the point somewhere else, within the thread location of lircrc files under R6, but proposed workaround deals with USB IR receiver, not RS232.

Thanks in advance for any support.

Last edited by Golffies on Fri May 21, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:42 pm 
Hi Golfies!

nice to see you again.

I'm not sure which remote you are using but for the receiver in the LinHES config menu for remotes you have an option for "Serial" which I believe defaults to ttyS0 but you can change that value on the same page once Serial shows up.

Another option is to modify the lirc related files and use "tinker" which means "custom".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:38 am 
Hi Chris,

Thanks to our homes both being pinned on opposite side on the Earth, you have been kind enough to answer my question while I was sleeping. :) Well, it's my turn now. :D

Frankly, I missed that option for "serial" receiver. I am going to look for it in the LinHES config menu. ttyS0 sounds good, as I soldered IR receiver on the single RS232C port the motherboard is equipped with.

The remote I am going to use is labelled RCT311DA2 from Thomson. Its lircd.conf file already exists (cf. that thread).

But what comes next ?
How to create the corresponding lircrc file ?
Where to drop it into LinHES file structure, to avoid that file to be altered/removed when the next upgrade completes?
To which extend may I follow that advice (cf. that thread) :

jams wrote:
The easiest way for right now to fix this is to make your own remote.
Just make a dir in /usr/MythVantage/templates/$This_is_my_remote and copy in the lircrc and lircd and preview file.

After thats done it will be available as an option in the configuration menus, and it WILL NOT be overwritten by any system updates.

Bye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:48 pm 
Sorry for the delay. Traveling again. Off to Mexico city this weekend for few days as well (yes work).

Anyway, your references are good. Jams is a core developer and his advice is sound. If you do it his way, your choice will be in the menu. If you use tinker then you can bypass that method and directly replace the lircd.conf and lircrc files but why bother.

As for the lircd.conf and lircrc file creation. If you already have lircd.conf then you are well on your way. If not then the magic tool is irrecord.

If you have lircd.conf then it will have labels in it for each action. lircrc takes these labels and maps it to specific mythtv actions. I don't know your remote but in theory all of the latest lircd.conf files should be using standard labels. In any event find a lircrc that most closely represents what you like as behaviour and then modify the labels in either lircrc or lircd.conf depending on what makes sense.

Hope that helps.

Post subject: lircrc_RCT311DA2.txt
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:45 am 
Hi Chris,

Definitely, your message helps. You just gave me certitudes, in a MythTV world where so much speculation is floating around. Well, I created a customized directory for that remote:

Code:
sudo mkdir /usr/MythVantage/templates/remotes/Thomson_RCT311DA2

and added a write permission for members of the group whom directory belongs to. It makes later easier for non-root user to create and update the directory content.

Code:
sudo chmod g+w /usr/MythVantage/templates/remotes/Thomson_RCT311DA2

Then, I populated the directory with:

lircrc-RCT311DA2.txt file is empty still, as I am not sure which template I would better to start from. Is Jarod Wilson's lircrc file for RadioShack remote the wise choice ? LinHES makes it available in /usr/MythVantage/templates/remotes/RadioShack_15-2116-Jarod_Wilson. Or should I rather start with lircrc file for Harmony remote, as Ozdemon did ? It seems to be well commented, then easier to adapt to my remote. Is there a lircrc template which covers better LinHES features than another ?

I am curious to see my remote popping up in the Service Menu.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:47 am 
Well, thanks to lircrc templates made available by Jarod Wilson and Douglas Wagner, customisation of the file with the right labels was a no brainer. I will share my lircrc file for RCT311DA2 here and post it on redmine, after I took time to use it longer and possibly to tweak it further. For instance, I am not sure still what to do with the repetition parameter.

As Jams predicted, it has been enough to select the remote in the Service Menu, to make it installed by LinHES. Nicely designed, guys !

Irw confirmed at first run that all the buttons were correctly identified. I can now unplug the keyboard. Ssh from the laptop provides more universal access to the CLI.

Thanks to all for your support !