View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:27 pm 
Just wondering the state of BR playback. Will it work out of the box with R6? Seems the drives are getting very reasonable pricing and I have a dvd that's needing replacement (so what's a guy to do??) . Looking at this as it will burn DVDs too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:22 pm 
Unencrypted ripped content will work, but nothing encrypted (i.e. just about anything store bought). It's not a LinHES issue, it's Linux in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:46 pm 
mihanson wrote:
Unencrypted ripped content will work, but nothing encrypted (i.e. just about anything store bought). It's not a LinHES issue, it's Linux in general.

(SIGH) again, linux users are treated like pirates huh? :evil:

I was thinking the keys were in mplayer from a couple years back. I remember a ubuntu wiki or something. I was thinking things had progressed since I last researched this...

.. and looking at the myth wiki it seems ripping is easier then playing!!! WHY? why can't I just put in a disk and play? i hate drm! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:16 am 
I was looking into this a while ago too. Found this on the mythtv website.
Quote:
Work towards MythTV 0.24 is in full swing, and has be progressing very well for the last several months. If all goes according to plan, MythTV 0.24 will bring a new MythUI OSD, a nearly rewritten audio subsystem capable of handling 24 and 32 bit audio as well as up to 8 channels of output, Blu-ray disc and disc structure playback, and various other performance, usability, and flexibility improvements.

I'm assuming that also means unencrypted discs, but in this forum , iamlindoro claims to be the dev working on blu-ray support (post 2)
Quote:
The libbluray project *is* working on two libraries (libbdplus and libaacs) that are like the libdvdcss that DVD playback uses for encrypted playback, but these libraries are "babies" still and I wouldn't expect to be able to get/find a copy for a little while yet.
(post 8 )

So it looks like it might be coming some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:07 pm 
Huh? It works. It would be great if it was out of the box but for now it just takes a little effort.

This is what I do from a fresh install of LinHES 6.02 in the /home/mythtv directory as mythtv.

sudo pacman -S make

Down load makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_bin.tar.gz and makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_oss.tar.gz from
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

tar -zxvf makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_bin.tar.gz
tar -zxvf makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_oss.tar.gz

cd makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_bin
make -f makefile.linux
sudo make -f makefile.linux install
cd ..
cd makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_oss
make -f makefile.linux
sudo make -f makefile.linux install

I then have a little script in the /home/mythtv directory named bd.

bd

#!/bin/bash
makemkvcon --upnp=0 stream disc:0 &
sleep 90
mplayer http://127.0.0.1:51000/stream/title0.ts -channels 6 -fs -zoom -quiet -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau
killall makemkvcon

A couple of notes on the script. The sleep is to make up for the time it takes makemkv to read the BD. They seem to take between 45 to 90 seconds. So set it accordingly to your hardware. Sometimes the title is not on 0 and you have to change it. Also I use vdpau. Remove the vdpau parameters if your system does not support it. If the makemkvcon is not killed at the end it will restart on a different port next time you us it. If anyone wants to write a better script, please do and post it. I'm not a coder.

Then I tried to put a menu button under the Optical disks menu between the DVD and VCD buttons. I failed miserably. Not sure what the problem is. Probably something simple. I hate those. But anyway I modified the Online Stream menu and it works.

sudo nano /usr/share/mythtv/is.xml

add in

<!--#BD-->
<button>
<type>STREAM</type>
<text>Play BD</text>
<action>EXEC /home/mythtv/bd</action>
<button>
<!--#BD-->

If someone could fix the button problem, I would be most grateful. What I have works, it's just ugly.

I run this on my test mythbox and the real one. The real one is:
NF2-Nview motherboard
NVidia 9400 video card
AMD 4200+ X2 cpu
1 gig mem
LG Blu-ray burner

The test box is:
Zoltac ION motherboard
2 gig mem
LG Blu-ray burner

On the main system it runs about 20% cpu for makemkvcon and about 10% for mplayer. On the test box it runs about 60% cpu for makemkvcon and about 20% for mplayer. It plays beautifully on the main system but is choppy and unusable on the test box. These numbers are an encrypted BD playing in the BD rom on the mythbox and being displayed on a 1080p monitor.

References:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=67420

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:54 pm 
I recently got a windows 7 computer and I was playing with the Window Media Center. It's pretty good and with blue-ray support and and cable card support it's looking better every day. I love my LINHES box it's too old to run windows 7 but I don't know......that grass on the other side of the fence is looking mighty green.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:48 pm 
mattbatt wrote:
I recently got a windows 7 computer and I was playing with the Window Media Center. It's pretty good and with blue-ray support and and cable card support it's looking better every day. I love my LINHES box it's too old to run windows 7 but I don't know......that grass on the other side of the fence is looking mighty green.

Sorry, but I'm not drinking the M$ cool-aid these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:18 pm 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
Sorry, but I'm not drinking the M$ cool-aid these days.

Me neither.
Think about why you went open source. If you did it for freedom, then (ironically) you don't have the choice to go Windows without giving it up. If your new favourite OS were free (in the real sense) none of us would bother to use Linux.

Why not try wiping the new machine and running LinHes on it, or at least gparted it and dual-boot?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:01 am 
You can't do fronted - backend with windows 7 (unless you buy a Xbox or dedicated hardware)

You can't legitimately convert recordings to avi/mp4/mkv (at least you couldn't in Vista with DVB recordings).

I don't mind windows 7 but I do mind limitations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:30 pm 
I changed jobs and moved to a different state. I forgot about this post. If there just happens to be someone else running Blu-ray on their LinHES box this might help. I updated the script a little to make the WAF a little better. I just added a display so they know its working.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

killall makemkvcon
makemkvcon --upnp=0 stream disc:0 &

c=1
COLOR="red"
TEXT="LOADING"

while [ $c -lt 100 ]
do
((c+=1))

if [ $c -gt 20 ]; then COLOR="magenta"
if [ $c -gt 40 ]; then COLOR="yellow"
if [ $c -gt 60 ]; then COLOR="green"
if [ $c -gt 75 ]; then COLOR="cyan"
if [ $c -gt 90 ]; then COLOR="blue"
fi
fi
fi
fi
fi

osd_cat -p middle \
        -f "-adobe-helvetica-bold-*-*-*-34-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" \
        -A center \
        --color=$COLOR \
        -b percentage \
        --percentage=$c \
        --shadow=4 \
        --text=$TEXT \
        -d 1 &
sleep 0.9
done

sleep 1
mplayer http://127.0.0.1:51000/stream/title0.ts -channels 6 -fs -zoom -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau %s
# The mplayer above is for vdpau, the one below is for non-vdpau. Uncomment only one.
# mplayer http://127.0.0.1:51000/stream/title0.ts -channels 6 -fs -zoom -vo xv -vc ffh264 %s

killall makemkvcon

I think it looks good. To add a button and icon under optical discs you will need to change two files. I suggest you back them up first.

The first one is for the menu theme. I use the "default" menu.
sudo nano /usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/opticalmenu.xml
Right after the part that looks like this "<mythmenu name="OPTICAL_DISK">" You will need to add this code for a button.
Code:
    <button>
        <type>BD_PLAY</type>
        <text>Play BD</text>
        <description>Play a film on BD</description>
        <action>EXEC /home/mythtv/bd</action>
        <depends>mythvideo</depends>
    </button>

To add an icon you will need to modify the ui theme. I use the "LinHES" one.
sudo nano /usr/share/mythtv/themes/LinHES/menu-ui.xml
This file has several sections to it. Look for the part marked "<!-- mainmenu.xml -->" At the end of that section add the following code.

Code:
            <state name="BD_PLAY" from="DEFAULT">
                <imagetype name="watermark">
                    <filename>watermark/cd.png</filename>
                </imagetype>
            </state>

Now I just need a bd.png that looks like the other icons. Anyone good with Gimp?

Post subject: Editing menus
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:38 am 
Quote:
sudo nano /usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/opticalmenu.xml

I have been editing the menus for some time and discovered that rather than editing them in place, you can override them with a copy in ~/.mythtv. This has the advantages of not getting blown away on upgrades, not requiring root access to edit, and allowing easy reversion to a stock configuration. So, instead of editing the files in place, I suggest:

Code:
cp /usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/opticalmenu.xml ~/.mythtv/
cp /usr/share/mythtv/themes/LinHES/menu-ui.xml ~/.mythtv/
nano ~/.mythtv/opticalmenu.xml
nano ~/.mythtv/menu-ui.xml

Just don't forget that you're using your copy when menu change don't show up on upgrade. It is usually easy enough to integrate your changes into new versions.