View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:02 pm 
I'm currently running 6.03 and having some issues with sound and video on my Intel D945GCLF2 system.

First, I have problems outputting anything higher than 800x600 with the onboard graphics over VGA.

I was also having problems with low output over analog and switched to digital by building a S/PDIF Toslink header.

The only way I can get the card to output over digital is by using OSS analog. It works fine for the most part, except I can't use Firefox with sound and I have pops and gaps in my AC3 output.

I figure the D945GCLF2 is a pretty common hardware base these days but I haven't been able to find a fix for either of these yet. The board has Intel HDA ALC662 for sound and Intel GMA 950 for video. Has anyone run into this before?

Post subject: Intel Video....
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:30 am 
I have a simular board in a micro case that mounts to the back of a 22" ldc, to get any resolution other then the base one provided by Xorg or the install scripts you will have to edit and change the xorg.cong file.

Code:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

near the bottem of the file i removed all display options other than the color Depth i wanted. IE...

Code:
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth     24
        Modes "1680x1050"
    EndSubSection

that will get the screen sorted. As for the low audio.... Well, that still an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:09 am 
Thanks! That fixed my video issue like a charm. I tried changing some things in there before but the Modes line is what did it. I'm on a 720P/WXGA display so mine was 1366x768.

Got the digital audio output working under ALSA also. I feel kind of dumb. I ran alsamixer and the digital output was muted. I still have pops in AC3 audio but it's not as bad as before.

You say you have a micro case that mounts to the back of an LCD? I was looking for such a product. What is the model of the one you are using?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:53 pm 
@abbazabba I have the same kind of motherboard, and wanted to have digital sound as well, how did you build the header S/PDIF adapter? Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:44 am 
Here's some info on building one:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=997533

You will also need to know the pinout of your motherboard. Here is the manual for the D945GCLF2:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/16960/e ... nglish.pdf

You can also just buy a header like this and just change the pinout:

http://www.amazon.com/MOTHERBOARD-ACCES ... B000MM888W

Buying a header would be your easiest route, maybe you can even find one with a 3 pin header(I couldn't). I had an extra toslink header around from a previous project and I like to solder, otherwise I probably would have bought one.

I did also manage to eliminate the 'pops' in my AC3 audio by enabling 5.1 mode and setting AC3 to pass through. I only have a stereo configuration but I let the receiver/amplifier flatten out the sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:44 pm 
Wow, plenty of info there on S/PDIF and TOSlink, that's all new to me! I found out that I only need to connect S/PDIF and ground for Coax output, the 5 volts is to power the toslink adapter.

Much clearer now Thanks !