View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:43 pm 
This is a branch from a previous thread found here.

I needed a serial port for a machine, so I bought a SIIG combo serial/parallel PCI card. I even checked in advance to make sure it would work with Linux, and everyone seemed to indicate there were no difficulties.

However, I have not been able to get the card to work. Right now I am still trying to test it with a serial mouse and haven't even gotten that far.

Details:

Code:
$ dmesg | grep tty
console [tty0] enabled
ttyS0: detected caps 00000700 should be 00000100
0000:00:10.0: ttyS0 at I/O 0x9800 (irq = 19) is a 16C950/954
ttyS1: detected caps 00000700 should be 00000100
0000:00:10.0: ttyS1 at I/O 0x9808 (irq = 19) is a 16C950/954

$ lspci
00:10.0 Serial controller: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd EXSYS EX-41092 Dual 16950 Serial adapter
00:10.1 Parallel controller: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd OX16PCI954 (Quad 16950 UART) function 1 (parallel port)

$ sudo setserial -bg /dev/ttyS*
/dev/ttyS1 at 0x9808 (irq = 19) is a 16950/954

$ sudo stty -a -F /dev/ttyS1
speed 1200 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>; eol2 = <undef>; swtch = <undef>; start = ^Q;
stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs7 hupcl -cstopb cread clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel -iutf8
-opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
-isig -icanon -iexten -echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt echoctl echoke

Relevant portion of xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "Microsoft"
#    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
#    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option      "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection

One slightly odd thing is that this card only has one physical serial port, but I guess the UART presents two to the computer, and it looks like the working one is /dev/ttyS1 (rather than /dev/ttyS0).

Anyway, I tested the serial mouse: works on Windows, works on my older Linux machine using an identical xorg.conf (in fact an overall identical software configuration, they both netboot from the same directory), doesn't work on this machine. I am at a loss here, other than to say that the problem must lie with the card rather than the mouse.

Also if you didn't read the previous thread, I don't need the mouse, I want the card to use with my LIRC serial receiver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:22 am 
Hi langelgjm,

I do admire how precisely you described the problem and completed the step for testing all the parts involved, through both old and new thread. I hope it will make someone able to give you a clue. Unfortunately, I am not that clever guy. I know how difficult might be to get a useful feedback form community members regarding such low level hardware problems, as so few people have knowledge on their intricate behaviour. I just post that comment to state that you deserve some help on that. :wink: