View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Looking for HTPC case
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:39 am 
Could people share there experiences with HTPC cases as I will be looking at building at least two (2) new frontend systems around Christmas or just after.

I know there are SilverStone and Antec to name a couple, but I am looking for particular experiences, e.g stay away from this that or the other, or This is awesome, get 10 of these as they do ...

Would be great to hear from yall!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:54 pm 
I'm pretty happy with the Mozart SX from Thermaltake that I use. I have the one without the Media Lab display on the front.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.a ... 28&ID=1434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:29 pm 
I mention Silent PC Review a lot, but they've got excellent information on such things. They regularly review HTPC type cases with a focus on both thermal and acoustic issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:18 pm 
I do use the Antec 430 Black which has the Veris LCD and IR receiver. The benefit is it looks a piece of home theatre and you get the nice LCD display of myth's status (titles, recording progress, media format, audio format, etc). It also solves the IR receiver issue. I use this setup in my main home theatre.

Also because this is a veris receiver, you can completely shut down the system and use an IR code to boot from cold. I do it this way.

In the LinHES forum, I have a how-to which teaches how to set up the LCD and IR receiver until lirc is updated to the current version. It needs to be at least 0.8.6.

I also use two Antec Sonata 3 boxes which have my myth gear in the closet of each room. I then use an Antec Veris Basic module to receive IR codes and because they are in the closet, I use Harmony 890s with the RF to IR transmitter module. In this set up, all you see is a TV mounted on the wall.

The Antec boxes are VERY quiet and cool due to the use of very large fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:41 pm 
This is the coolest FE system that I've built.

GMC AVC-S7 case. I picked up from pcalchemy.com. NOT cheap. They closed their doors in 2009. :(

here's the link in the GMC site:

http://www.gmc.co.kr/products/itemView_ ... 1&itemID=4

It was about $350 when I purchased it in 2008. I ended up replacing all the caps in the power supply last year....they were bulging up something serious, and one of the PS fans failed. :(

The only mod I've made is to bolt a 60mm fan over the southbridge to keep the temps down. If I wasn't folding, it'd be almost silent.

I have an ASUS M2NVP-VM board in it with an AMD 910e quad-core, 4GB of GSKILL RAM, and a WD 1TB drive for all of my OGG cd rips. I store all of my transcoded versions of Criminal Minds and The Defenders there. :) This box has NO tuners. It's for playback only. My MBE and SBE do all the recording.

I really don't use it much to watch programs, but I do run the Folding @ Home SMP client on it in the winter months. It's currently churning out about 5,000 PPD for the KnoppMyth Team! :)

To be honest.....It's NOT running KnoppMyth or LINHES....'cause there's no 64 bit version. It's a custom version of Slackware 13.0 and the MythTV code of Knoppmyth R5F27.

--

Larry

Post subject: Silverstone Case
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:47 am 
I am pretty happy with this one
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=LC10-E&area=

Also because its that big I can use my totally oversiyed cooling stuff - so its silent!

Mystique CaBiX-C2, PVR-350, PVR-250, Terratec CinergyT² & DBOX2