View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:19 pm 
Comcast is turning off analog cable in our area soon, so I now have a little DTA box that I will have to attach in order to keep my PVR-150 useful.

My main LinHES machine already has a homebrew serial IR blaster that controls the set top box... this was for recording the higher channels. Now, in order to control the DTA, I'll need another IR blaster.

As far as I can tell, I can't use the PVR-150's built-in IR transmitter anymore, since it doesn't have codes for the set top box or this new DTA box. But, since my machine only has one serial port, I need another serial port.

I'm a bit leery of just purchasing a serial port card... last time I did that, I had trouble getting homebrew hardware to work (problems with the card using 0v/5v logic, which does not conform to RS232 standard). I could purchase a USB blaster, but they are pricey, and I have more time than money.

But, I have another machine right next to my LinHES machine with an unused, real RS232 serial port. I don't want to use that machine as a slave backend (it has no tuner), but my thought is to just install a homebrew serial blaster on it and configure lircd to accept connections over the network from the LinHES machine.

The relevant options for lircd seem to be:

Quote:
With the --listen option you can let lircd listen for network connections on the given address/port. The default address is 0.0.0.0, which means that connections on all network interfaces will be accepted. The default port is 8765. No security checks are currently implemented. The listening lircd instance will send all IR events to the connecting lircd instances.

The --connect option allows you to connect to other lircd servers that provide a network socket at the given host and port number. The number of such connections is currently limited to 100. The connecting lircd instance will receive IR events from the lircd instance it connects to.

Anyone done something like this before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:12 pm 
First: I haven't used an IR blaster.
but I believe that there are USB IR blasters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:37 pm 
The 150's blaster should work w/ R6. In R7, the driver has change and is included w/ LIRC. If, I user the 150's blaster w/ my SBE running R7.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!