View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:23 am 
I'm looking to replace my current wired SOHO boundary router with something more modern which will support things like IPv6, static DHCP assignments (MAC or hostname to IP), GigE, ... and stumbled across some info on the RouterBoard brand while looking for a low power SBC to run one of the BSD or Linux based router distros.

http://www.roc-noc.com/mikrotik/routerboard/rb750g.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:12 am 
I would have also suggested something like SME Server (www.contribs.org) or one of the other distros as well but for the price the MicroTik stuff looks very interesting and quite powerful. If it had a SIP SBC/BorderGW, it would be perfect.

I will be quite interested to see what feedback others may have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:13 pm 
Right, the original idea was to find a small low power single board solution with a couple GigE ports and run any of several router distros. There are dozens and dozens of them out there all tailored for one application or another.

My first hit on the RouterBoard stuff was the 450G boards which are essentially a naked router which you can dress up as you like. http://www.routerboard.com/pricelist.php?showProduct=52 They come with Mikrotik SW but you can load any of a dozen or so BSD or Linux based distros which support the Atheros CPU.

Post subject: ASUS RT-N16
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:05 pm 
I recently bought an ASUS RT-N16 because it has two USB ports and is supported by DD-WRT. It also has the ability to run Optware and various services. The USB ports are handy for printers / memory. I am running Asterisk on this box and it provides VOIP (at the magic price no less) in the form of a Gtalk XMPP JABBER channel.

Last edited by gatorback on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:55 pm 
I had a Dlink DGL-4100 till I recently sold it to a customer. 4 Gigabit ports wired and really nice and fast.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127060&Tpk=dgl4100

I give it the thumbs up :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:54 pm 
tjc wrote:
more modern which will support things like IPv6, static DHCP assignments (MAC or hostname to IP), GigE.

As far as I can tell the DGL-4100 does not and will not support IPV6. Notice it's absence from this list http://www.dlink.com/ipv6 Direct questions on the topic in their forums go unanswered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:07 pm 
I'll second the ASUS RT-N16. I have one running dd-wrt. I'm going to order another in just a few minutes. Newegg has them on sale for $74.99 and a $10.00 MIR with free shipping for a total of $64.99. I want to replace my smaller asus router that does my DNS server, e-mail server and web servers for the 4 domains that I run here at home, I'll probably bring up asterisk on it as well. So the new router won't actually do router duties, just a cheap linux box. As a wireless router it works very well. It has no problem running a 320Gb notebook drive in a USB powered enclosure.

LH 7.00.02 (custom kernel K8 & PAE)| ASUS M4A89GTD PRO | AMD PhenomII 955 Black | 8GB Kingston DDR3 1600 | 2 x HDHR dual tuner | ASUS GT430 HDMI A/V out | 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB (sata) | ASUS DRW-24B3ST DVD-RW | GearHead KB3800TPW Kbd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:50 pm 
Went out on a limb and picked one of these up (RB750G) and so far I'm quite impressed. Tiny, reasonably priced, but still has professional level capabilities. If you need a small wired router you could do a lot worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:41 pm 
FWIW the RB750G kicks butt and is a serious bargain at under $75 delivered.

The firewall router is now the household NTP server, caching DNS server, smart DHCP server (handing out stable assignments by host name or MAC address). It has all kinds of network monitoring capabilities, like usage graphs, logging connection attempts, and so on. Basically it providing all of the network services more complex than switching that you might want in a SOHO router. Finally for all it's capabilities it's tiny, roughly a third to a quarter of the size of the LinkSys it replaced, and seems to use very little power.