View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:11 pm 
Shortly I will be assembling and installing my first mythtv system ever using the following hardware:

Hauppage WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual digital HD Tuner PCIe x1 (internal) (Purchased new)
PNY GeForce GT 220 1024MB DDR2 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card HDMI (Purchased new)
AMD Athlon X2 7750 Dual Core 2.5 Ghz (purchased new as barebones kit)
2GB DDR2-667 RAM (already have on hand)
500GB PATA/100 WD Hard Drive (already have on hand)
PATA DVD/CD Player burner (already have on hand)

My main question is should I install 06.04.00 or 07.00.02? I have downloaded both .isos and want to maximize the chances of everything working flawlessly OOTB such that deinterlaced 1080i/p video renders perfectly and I can watch one hd program while simultaneously recording another.

I have read several How Tos on how to get teh HVR-2250 working with mythtv. Will I need these?

Also, will either version automatically detect and install the right Nvidia proprietary graphics drivers for VDPAU or will I need to do that post install? (VDPAU was a very important consideration for me.)

Thanks so much, new LinHES / mythtv friends. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:02 pm 
The home page still says "R7.00.02 should only be used for testing." On a personal experience note, there were some things which were quite cooked with it when I upgraded my hardware a while back. Other people are using it though, so YMMV. I'd start with 6.04 and just treat the first install as an experiment.

The installer will support VDPAU with that card without any hassle, you may have to select the appropriate VDPAU playback profile afterwards, but that's trivial. Given the hardware listed either one is going to require some extra fiddling to get the audio over HDMI working, but it's not all that hard now that it's been documented.

What is the motherboard? The big thing to watch for there, and which caught me unaware during the hardware refresh, is the NIC chip. Having an unsupported NIC is pretty miserable.

Don't know anything about that capture card so hopefully somebody who does will chime in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:09 pm 
Depends on what configuration you're going to use.
I have 7.00.02 (with the latest updates.. change the repos in /etc/pacman.conf) set up on a production machine, (IBM) using HDHRs for OTA HD, and it runs as good as any of the older distros.

Some of the more ambitious hardware and ir blaster may still need some work...

Last edited by snaproll on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:58 pm 
Thanks so much for the replies, friends. :D

The motherboard is an ECS GeForce6100PM-M2 v3.0

from http://www.outletpc.com/bare16.html which is now being shipped to me and should arrive by the end of the day this Thursday.

It has an integrated 10/100 NIC and I have not been able to find any detail at all on chipset.

Briefly test drove both .isos under kvm, I noticed that 06.04.00 is cranking a customized 2.6.28 kernel while 07.00.02 is cranking a customized 2.6.37 kernel which is frankly a big difference and could greatly impact recent hardware working OOTB (such as, perhaps the HVR-2250, which came in a kit including an MCE ir remote and receiver.)

Also, I recall reading that the BFS patches were applied to the custom kernel (maybe on both -- or maybe just 07.00.02) which I find to be very cool.

Thank again for the responses. I have been reading a little about Mythweb and would like to be able to access my box from the internet but it will be behind my router on my LAN so I am wondering how that will work (will have a 192.168.10.x type IP address via dhcp.) Will I need some kind of dyndns service?

Also my use will be OTA HD live home viewing and recording as well as Hulu and whatever else streaming is available perhaps (I read what a bear streaming netflix is to get going -- via XP VM IE Silverlight DRM -- not worth it.) Streaming Amazon should work (via Firefox / Flash.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:52 pm 
stlouisubntu wrote:
It has an integrated 10/100 NIC and I have not been able to find any detail at all on chipset.

Mfcr website says "Broadcom AC131 10/100 Lan Phy" which has been around long enough that it should be well supported.
stlouisubntu wrote:
Briefly test drove both .isos under kvm, I noticed that 06.04.00 is cranking a customized 2.6.28 kernel while 07.00.02 is cranking a customized 2.6.37 kernel which is frankly a big difference and could greatly impact recent hardware working OOTB (such as, perhaps the HVR-2250, which came in a kit including an MCE ir remote and receiver.)

Yes, the newer kernel is one of the big differences. I found it easier to compile the 1-2 modules needed for my hardware (ALSA and LAN) than to work around some other issues. IIRC even the newer kernel wasn't new enough on one of those.
stlouisubntu wrote:
I have been reading a little about Mythweb and would like to be able to access my box from the internet but it will be behind my router on my LAN so I am wondering how that will work (will have a 192.168.10.x type IP address via dhcp.) Will I need some kind of dyndns service?

Your firewall router will have to be setup to NAT the port. I'd strongly recommend using an encrypted (SSL) tunnel unless you want every script kiddie, creep or crook on the net using your LAN.