View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:57 am 
Been a long day of testing crap.. since I've tried so much I thought I'd record this so all the Googleites could find it and not have to go through what I have in the last 18 hours..

As of this writing I'm on LinHes Kernel 2.6.39 and Myth .24-21. I upgraded my HDPVR 1212 to 1.6.29199 and 1.6.29207 and they both resulted in a very over saturated, red shifted image. Very unwatchable. I resorted back to 1.5.7.0 and everything was clean again. I can say that the 29xxx firmware also resulted in much quicker channel changes and much less HDPVR-blue-light popping on and off while it figures out what to do with itself.

I plugged my HDPVR directly into my PC with 29207 and use the included Arcsoft Total Control Extreme and the colors looked fine.

I used a "cat /dev/video0 >> test.ts" and it also looked horrid under the 29207 firmware.

I used a HDPVR driver cleaner on my PC to make sure there was no HDPVR Driver contamination. This utility it designed by Hauppauge feel free to use it.

http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software ... wclear.exe

For Reference, the last 4 versions of HDPVR Firmware..

http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software ... .29207.zip
http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software ... .29199.zip

http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software ... .5.7.0.zip
http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software ... .5.6.1.zip

If someone knows how to adjust the saturation/hue/brightness from the mythtv/linux side in such a way that it would be persistent, I'd go back to 29207 in a heartbeat.

Ether..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:25 pm 
This is what I do. I hope it will help out or at least point you in the right direction.

In the mythtv-setup I go to #4, Input Connections. Find your HDPVR and enter it's setup. In the "External change channel command:" I have /home/mythtv/hdpvr.sh. The hdpvr.sh script looks like this"

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Uncomment this for debugging
#set -vx

DEVICE=0

# controls:
BRIGHTNESS=134 # Picture brightness, actually the black level. [0 - 255]
HUE=128 # Hue or color balance. [0 - 255]
SATURATION=128 # Picture color saturation or chroma gain. [0 - 255]
CONTRAST=128 # Picture contrast or luma gain. [0 - 255]
SHARPNESS=128 # Sharpness picture control. [0 - 255]
AUDIO=4 # Control for audio encoding [3=AAC - 4=AC3]
VIDEO_BITRATE_MODE=1 # Control for video biterate mode [0=VBR - 1=CBR]
VIDEO_BITRATE=6500000 # Bitrate control over recordings in bits [1Mbit/s - 13.5Mbit/s]
VIDEO_PEAK_BITRATE=9000000 # Peak bitrate control in bits [1.1Mbit/s - 20.2Mbit/s]

CTL_OPTS="-d /dev/video$DEVICE"
echo ; echo Settings before:
/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video$DEVICE --get-ctrl=brightness,hue,saturation,contrast,sharpness,audio_encoding

/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl $CTL_OPTS --set-ctrl brightness=$BRIGHTNESS >/dev/null
/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl $CTL_OPTS --set-ctrl hue=$HUE >/dev/null
/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl $CTL_OPTS --set-ctrl saturation=$SATURATION >/dev/null
/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl $CTL_OPTS --set-ctrl contrast=$CONTRAST >/dev/null
/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl $CTL_OPTS --set-ctrl sharpness=$SHARPNESS >/dev/null
/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl $CTL_OPTS --set-ctrl audio_encoding=$AUDIO >/dev/null
/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl $CTL_OPTS --set-ctrl video_bitrate_mode=$VIDEO_BITRATE_MODE >/dev/null
/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl $CTL_OPTS --set-ctrl video_bitrate=$VIDEO_BITRATE >/dev/null
/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl $CTL_OPTS --set-ctrl video_peak_bitrate=$VIDEO_PEAK_BITRATE >/dev/null

sleep 2

echo ; echo Settings after:
/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video$DEVICE --get-ctrl=brightness,hue,saturation,contrast,sharpness,audio_encoding

I use it because everytime we have a power glitch, my hdpvr resets the audio to AAC and I prefer AC3. Now when ever I do a recording the hdpvr's setting are set to my personal preferences. The idea I had from the old days with a TJC script for fixing the tinny audio on the pvr-250 cards. If you are using a change channel script, you can modify that script to call this script or add it to a custom change change channel script. Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:06 am 
Thanks for the tip.

As to the HDPVR, if ya got it working, 'don't fix it if it's not broken' ...... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:23 pm 
Penguinpwr, the script look pretty sharp, thanks!

but...

According to the Mythtv HDPVR Wiki: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR

Under the section "Bitrate and Picture Controls" it says, "Note that the picture controls currently do not have an effect as of kernel 2.6.31."

According to my testing they are correct, attempting to adjust saturation/hue/brightness resulted in no change in my environment. Wonder why this is? The new HDPVR Drivers had a very fast signal lock which would make watching live-tv more effective, I'd like to use them but it looks like they've changed the color defaults which would be why I'm seeing the shift in color. Who writes the HDPVR drivers for linux these days? Wonder if and where I could open a bug report.

Thanks again!