View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: ATI Radeon 9550
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:31 am 
Hi,

I am currently trying to install LINHES 6.04 with a ATI Radeon 9550 AGP card. It does not display any images/menus only text when booting the setup CD. The motherboard is a ABIT IC7 with an AGP Pro slot. Does anyone know if the 9550 is compatible? or would it be motherboard? I have run an old trident blade PCI card and it works fine, it displays the menus etc. for installation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:55 am 
It sounds like an X setup problem. Check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log for any errors. Your best bet may be an nvidia based video card since those are much better supported due to their XvMC and VDPAU acceleration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:55 am 
Thanks for the info, I have also tried a ATI 9600 card that I had, it does the same thing. I don't think there would be any log as I cannot get to the setup screen to start the install. I might try a Nvidia based card to see if that works (will have to buy one) I'm not to concerned about any acceleration as this will be a master back end with no monitor connected.

Post subject: Re: ATI Radeon 9550
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:28 am 
Finally got back to this... already :) I think it might be a motherboard problem? If I use the same video card (ATI 9550) in another computer and boot with a LinHES disc it brings up the menu ok. The motherboard that seems to be the problem has an AGP Pro slot but I don't think this would be an issue? just extra pins for power? I did manage to buy an Nvidia card off ebay but it did not work at all, I tried the card in another computer and it was the same so I think I got a dud card. I think I will just have to use the old PCI video card instead. Although I just tried using the computer the other day and it did not boot, seems to have one faulty stick of RAM. Good old computers such time savers!