View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Zotac ION and VDPAU
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:29 am 
I have a Zotac MAG ION system that I am using as a Frontend, loaded with LinHES 7.1 and it seems to be working well, with the exception of a few lockups now and then that I am attributing to some experimentation I am doing with DVD ISO's streamed off of the Master Backend. In any case, my question is, other than setting the playback profile to use VDPAU in MythTV, what else do I need to do in order to ensure that ION graphics is using full acceleration for the UI in Myth. It seems when I use certain themes that profess as being memory hogs or taxing on the hardware, that the little Zotac MAG lags when going through the menu selections ... pressing the button on the remote results in movement on the interface a half second or so later ... just a little irritating.

Any suggestions on checks I can make to the configuration?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Zotac ION and VDPAU
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:02 am 
Off the top of my head that should be it for most cases but if you use mplayer then you will need to add some parameters to the command line to execute vdpau. I don't have this in front of me at the moment but you should be able to google it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:52 pm 
I to notice some delays when I activate the menu when watching live TV. The video will pause for half a second, and then continue. Is this delay normal on a Zotac ION running an Atom processor at 1.6Ghz? :?: I know the system is not a screamer, but I was expecting a smoother functioning using VDPAU with the popup menu and video, etc. If this is normal, I can live with it, as the low cost of the system is worth putting up with a few delays and performance blips. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:13 pm 
I don't believe the UI is accelerated via VDPAU. You do need to add the following to your ~/.mplayer/config if using mplayer and wanting VDPAU decoding.

Code:
vo=vdpau,xv,
vc=ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffodivxvdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:27 pm 
I am not using mplayer, just the built-in (I think it is built in) player for DVD ISO's and live or recorded TV. The pause is not that bad. So I take it that the UI is just using the default nVidia drivers then? I have not noticed any issues, except for some audio/video sync issues once in a while with live TV. Otherwise, I have nothing but praise for this little Zotac wonder.

Do you or does anyone else know if there are tweaks to get the Zotac running better, given I am loading stock LinHES v7.2???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:06 pm 
I think it's pretty straight forward configuration wise. You might take to some google searching. Come to think of it, are you using openGL rendering in the UI? I dunno if that can take advantage of the GPU or not: Appearance>Paint Engine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:29 pm 
How did you verify that VDPAU-ION works?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:48 pm 
I used the Playback Data option when watching a recording or a video to see which decoder is being used. It is under the video options I think, off the main menu.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:54 am 
It's not just the MAG... I have 2 of them and another hog of a machine for a frontend. All lag a bit on certain menus. There is a thread somewhere in the forum about this ever since 7.X... Play with the themes - that is the best alternative. As you noticed, some work better than others...

BTW - VDPAU is used only for playback of Myth streams (including Myth plugins) - not UI.