View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: nas recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:12 pm 
Is anyone using oem nas hardware? If so would you recommend it?

I'm using an old pc with lots of drives as a nas but it's time to upgrade.

Thanks, Abs.

Abby

Post subject: Re: nas recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:50 pm 
I've used D-Link DNS-321's for several years. Reliable, cheap and reasonable speed - peak at around 130-140 mbit/sec. I used them to store mythtv recordings for many years. They will hold 2 drives. Draws 5 watts of power when the drives are spun down.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:48 am 
If you have an old computer hanging around, you can make into a killer NAS with the "FreeNAS" distro at http://freenas.org It is a purpose-built kernel of FreeBSD that turns any PC-compatible hardware into a NAS device that does... well... just about everything. I'm using one to provide everything from shared storage for my photos to Time Machine space for backing up my macs. It's awesome.

Marc is a "power hawk" because he pays 3x as much as I do for electricity. (And we both live in the Bay Area -- go figure!) Running a PC 24x7 for FreeNAS could have implications on your power bill, but those disks don't come for free no matter what you get for your storage platform.

One thing tho -- watch out for some of the "green" disks which like to spin themselves down and park heads on their own schedule. They can incur more wear than a plain old disk when you put them in a storage tank. There has been discussion around here from folks who have used them in Myth boxes with poor results as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:49 pm 
It's not PC but I'm not green. I still want all my statements on paper, I print my pay stub, and pay extra to get my cancelled checks mailed to me.

If the world drowns due to the ice cap melting, feel free to blame me.

On the positive side tho, I may buy 36 solar panels for my roof soon. So all hope is not lost.

Thanks for the advice.

Abs

Abby