View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:17 am 
Hey all,

I'm using LinHES 7.04 as a FE to a 0.25.2 BE...

The FE is working fine -- but there's no volume control. (the slider moves around, but volume doesn't change)

I'm using OSS Drivers (the default) with the built in sound (will have to check chipset) on DSP0.

Anywhere else I should look?

Thanks,

-Ben

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:55 pm 
Did you check that box in setup that says "use MythTV to control the volume"?
How is your system hooked up? to a TV or amp?
For the life of me I have never understood why anyone would change the volume in MythTv. That's like changing the volume on your DVD player instead of your amp or you TV. I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:01 am 
I get it. My test machine uses computer speakers also the sound quality of the LED sets in general is hideous. After our CRT set took a dump we replaced it with a 22" LCD as short term solution. The sound quality decreased from the CRT but I could live with it. Then we picked up a bigger LED/LCD set to replace the 22" one. I could not believe how much poorer the sound quality was compared to the 22" set. Went back talked to the sales man and found out all of the LED set where that way. They already had taken many returns and sold them the same size non LED LCD set to make the customers happy. Now they won't sell a LED set without a sound bar unless you have alternative sound equipment. I myself dug out a old pair cheep computer speakers because I couldn't tolerate it. After few days until I remembered I had a Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 speaker system setting in a storage garage. They plug into the analog audio out jack and use the Mythtv volume control. This setup produces a very good sound stage without the clutter and complexity of a surround receiver. Logitech makes very good equipment for the money when you get above the $300 new range. Over the years I have had a lot of Pioneer, Marantz, and Technics equipment but over the last 15 years I have gotten rid of almost all of it except a pair of Marantz HD880 (bucket list) that are in storage and a Technics turntable. I have big hopes of converting some old vinyl to mp3 someday.

TVBox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:21 am 
bkamen wrote:
The FE is working fine -- but there's no volume control. (the slider moves around, but volume doesn't change)

I'm using OSS Drivers (the default) with the built in sound (will have to check chipset) on DSP0.

Often a matter of making sure that mythtv is controlling the right volume. DSP0 doesn't sound right. Master or PCM are the most common. Also make sure that you're controlling the right card. What is your audio hookup? HDMI to the TV? SPDIF to an A/V reciever? Analog audio to an amp or powered speakers? Have you run alsamixer (or the equivalent) and checked what other options are available?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:07 pm 
that makes sense now. my dad's TV has the same problem. The aesthetics love to make the TVs as thin as they can forgetting that sound needs space. As a sound engineer it drives me nuts.
like the guy said above make sure you are controlling the master volume.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:00 pm 
mattbatt wrote:
Did you check that box in setup that says "use MythTV to control the volume"?

Derp - not sure - will check and get back...

Quote:
How is your system hooked up? to a TV or amp?

Right now, some crusty computer speakers.

Quote:
For the life of me I have never understood why anyone would change the volume in MythTv. That's like changing the volume on your DVD player instead of your amp or you TV. I just don't get it.

because right at the moment, with the crusty computer speakers, I can use Myth to control the volume.

otherwise, into a TV, I would agree with you...

HOWEVER, keep in mind, not all amps have remote volume controls on them.

My stereo in my office has a pair of old professional audio amps meant to be run through a mixer/vol-controller.

Now that I think about it - I have some 100W Tube Amps that are from 1959. Guess what, they lack a remote volume control too. heheh.

Soooooooo.... having the flexibility in Myth is kinda nice.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll go look.

-Ben

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:02 pm 
tjc wrote:
bkamen wrote:

Often a matter of making sure that mythtv is controlling the right volume. DSP0 doesn't sound right. Master or PCM are the most common. Also make sure that you're controlling the right card. What is your audio hookup? HDMI to the TV? SPDIF to an A/V reciever? Analog audio to an amp or powered speakers? Have you run alsamixer (or the equivalent) and checked what other options are available?

Crusty speakers hooked to Audio out of the only sound card in the system.

Is AlsaMixer an option somewhere from the GUI (with OSS drivers installed)??

I'm not sure I remember seeing that.

-Ben

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:27 pm 
mattbatt wrote:
As a sound engineer it drives me nuts.

Once upon a time I worked at Shure Bros...

And between my and my colleagues, we'd regularly chucked at the people that would spend thousands on their car audio systems only to turn on the engine.

hahahah...

I hear ya brother.

:D

-Ben

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:28 pm 
Well, after switching to ALSA and making sure the mixer pointed to the alsa mixer, volume control now works.

In general, it seems like OSS (that I've used in the past) has fallen by the wayside as I also noticed horrid static when switching songs (in music) or fast forwarding through Videos...

t'was evil.. doesn't seem to be doing it with ALSA

-Ben

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:05 pm 
@ Ben
I actually started out in car audio...... I want the best sounding system wherever I am including in the noisy car.