View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: HDHR3-CC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:29 pm 
I saw Newegg is selling the HDHR3-CC with the cablecard input for $119 on Newegg. I was curious if anyone has attempted to set this up on LinHES 7. I'm not sure if it's worth fighting Comcast to get the cablecard and activate it, etc. but I thought I'd check if anybody has successfully accomplished it yet.

Post subject: Re: HDHR3-CC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:25 am 
If this is the HDHomerun Prime (I think it is) then I got one and set it up last month running 7.4. One note is that I use Verizon Fios and not Comcast but in my research before buying, there were plenty of people using it with Comcast so I don't think that will be a problem.

Setup was easy as pie. Plugged it into the network. Loaded the utility software on a windows machine, it did a firmware update. Then went to Verizons website where the card was activated and the tuners were instantly available in the Mythtv tuner setup. I was recording from three new tuners in less then 30 minutes.

The only bad thing I have to report is the system seems to be very vulnerable to network traffic. About half of my recording are marked yellow and the backend log states that the HDHRStreaming.cpp is having issues. The result is the "yellow" recordings have a 1 or 2 second blip while watching them. Some have none but some have 2 or 3 in an hour. In doing some googling this weekend, I found some folks have resorted to putting a second NIC card in their backend and putting the HDHR on it own solitary network. I think I have an old NIC card and a dumb network hub sitting around somewhere so I may give it a try.

So... in general I am pretty happy with it. The above problem is not terrible but I want to try and get it perfect. Love the three HD tuners since I was coming off a single HD-PVR plus I returned the STB to verizon and saved a few bucks. Not too bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:47 am 
Thanks for the response. I couldn't decide last night and now the unit is back at full price on Newegg, so I guess it has been decided that I will wait, lol.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:59 am 
I pulled the trigger on this and it is supposed to be delivered on Monday. I will report my findings. The biggest issue for me right now is that I already have a Schedules Direct lineup configured for my standard def stuff and you cannot duplicate the same lineup with Schedules Direct. I will be getting rid of the standard def tuner once this is configured, but I don't want to go screwing with the lineup beforehand, so it will probably take me some time to find all of the HD equivalents of the channels.

I also have a gigabit switch that it will be connected to, so hopefully that will allow enough bandwidth. I have not yet decided if I will continue to use my 2-tuner HDHomerun as well or just eliminate it. I have already upgraded from 7.1 to 7.4 so that I have myth 0.25 and hopefully it will go as smooth as your experience.

Off-topic: I wish Verizon Fios was available here. The only competition to Comcast here is Dish Network or DirecTV. Comcast is having a rate increase the first of January and I have no leverage to try to lower my rates. I think it will at least feel like I am getting more for my money if everything is in HD.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:35 pm 
If you have a cable card you don't have to worry about finding the channels and figuring out the mapping. It's automatic. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Prime

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:34 pm 
Thanks for the link. I will need that on Monday! I will still need to create a lineup on SchedulesDirect, though, won't I? I've already got an account, but I don't have a lineup setup with the channels in both SD & HD.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:54 pm 
knappster wrote:
Thanks for the link. I will need that on Monday! I will still need to create a lineup on SchedulesDirect, though, won't I?

Yes -- look through the screen shots and you will see that this is required.

The key simplification of this vs. clear-QAM is that you do not need to spend time trying to guess which channel is which after a scan and any frequency shifts are taken care of automatically.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:06 pm 
Although my experience is limited to the one set-up, I don't think you need to worry about this too much. You will know quickly if the new tuner is working and you can burn the life boats and switch to all HD.

If you want to keep the SD tuner for now until you have more confidence, just use the SD lineup from schedules direct for the prime also. When your ready you can move to the HD lineup.

Finally there is a procedure for using one schedules direct lineup but limiting what channels each tuner can record. Set-up you schedules direct with SD and HD channels then use mythweb to eliminate the HD channels from the SD tuner.

BTW, my network errors continued despite trying to quite the network. I found some people suggesting to run a constant ping of the prime and that has solved it for me. I opened a x session and ten a ping of the HDHR prime and left it running. Hope.26 fixes it but it's good for now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:53 pm 
Big boy stan wrote:
BTW, my network errors continued despite trying to quite the network. I found some people suggesting to run a constant ping of the prime and that has solved it for me. I opened a x session and ten a ping of the HDHR prime and left it running. Hope.26 fixes it but it's good for now.

I read about that and wondered if it would be a problem. I get the impression when I was looking at Silicondust forums that this is more dependent on the networking hardware than the software viewing it. I already have a script that runs when my box starts up, so I suppose I will just add this constant ping to it. The Prime should be here tomorrow and I already picked up the cablecard. I'm starting to get excited.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:58 am 
Everything went smooth and I am returning the SD cable box today to save $8 or $9 per month. I didn't want to take a chance with the issue you noted earlier, so I configured my LinHES box to continuously ping the HDHR Prime on startup. Unfortunately my ancient router does not allow me to reserve an IP address for the HDHR, so I wrote a short script to locate the IP address of the HDHR from the MAC address and ping it. I should only run into a problem if the HDHR refreshes its IP address after the LinHES box is running. Since I am using Mythwelcome to conserve power, my LinHES box shuts down at least twice daily anyway, so I would only expect that problem to be minimal. I now have 5 HD tuners between the HDHomerun and HDHomerun prime... somehow I doubt that my single combined frontend/backend would be able to handle recording 5 streams at once while playing one back. Time will tell if I wind up with any bottleneck issues, but for now at least, I am glad that I upgraded to a gigabit switch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:04 pm 
Mazel tov!

I would be interested in seeing your ip identifying script since I have been doing mine the lazy man's way.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 pm 
Okay, but it's not pretty. I am using arp to find the I named the script hdhr-prime-ipfix.sh
A couple notes:
1) The MAC Address is reported by arp in lowercase, so use the lowercase MAC Address
2) My DHCP begins at 192.168.1.100, so it is always 13 characters. If you begin at less than 100, you could have 12 characters instead.
Code:
ipaddress=$(/sbin/arp -a | /bin/grep MAC_ADDRESS | /bin/cut -c4-16)
/bin/ping -q -n $ipaddress

I invoke this from another script that is run on startup by either mythwelcome or some other setup screen. Here is a sample of when I run arp:
Code:
arp -a | grep MAC_ADDRESS
? (192.168.1.111) MAC_ADDRESS [ether] on eth0

I was originally going to grab the IP address from between the parentheses, but the method I used was easier and seems to be working okay. Hope this helps!