View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Resize boot partition
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:41 am 
Hey gang. I recently upgraded from 7.2 to 7.4 and now need to increase my boot partition size, as I am right on the edge. I have read several threads on increasing the boot partition using gparted. They were helpful, but I have some specific questions (I am working with a 2TB hard drive)

I successfully decreased the size of my /myth partition by 20GB, so now I have 20GB unallocated. Despite this, the boot partition will not allow me to increase the size. After some googling, I found that I may need to ‘move’ my boot partition to the end of my hard drive so it is sitting next to the unallocated space. I am a little leery to do this, as I am not sure what the implications are of having my boot partition at the end of my hard drive. My fear is that it will screw up GRUB and some other things, maybe even slow down the UI.

So basically I am looking for some input by someone who has done this before. What is the best practice? Is there another way that would be better? Could this somehow be down with Storage Groups? I also have an extra 500GB and 1TB hard drive I can use to get things done.
I am somewhat of a noob, so detailed info or step-by-step help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 pm 
tama103 wrote:
After some googling, I found that I may need to ‘move’ my boot partition to the end of my hard drive so it is sitting next to the unallocated space.

I've done this in the past, but the other way around - Moved the other partitions to the 'end' of the drive until the newly unallocated block was sitting right after the boot partition, then expanded the boot partition. The unallocated space and the partition you want to expand have to be contiguous.

Haven't had any problems with this method.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:05 pm 
Thanks! I am such a noob, that seems like an obvious solution now that you mention it.