View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R6 Hints
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:26 pm 
Previous versions of Knoppmyth/LinHES have had fantastic installation & upgrade guides written by tjc. However he is currently too busy to be able to create a guide for R6.

So at the suggestionof graysky I have created a new R6 guide on the ArchWiki. Currently it is just a copy and paste of the install steps from the main LinHES page because I really have no knowledge to add, but the beauty of a wiki is that you can all help flesh this out.

You can find the new guide at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LinHES_R6_Hints_and_Tips
It's lacking a lot of info at the moment but hopefully people will start to fill it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:54 pm 
Perhaps either of those wiki pages could be linked from the website (http://www.mysettopbox.tv/)? As it is now, people who install (or upgrade to) LinHES have no guidance like they did with former releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 pm 
I have restored the page and added the 6.02.00 instructions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:40 pm 
I have finally done the upgrade to R6 and encountered a few problems with grub and alsa, so I've add a troubleshooting section with some rough hints on how to solve the problems.

Is this still the best place for this info? Or should it be moved to the LinHES wiki?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:27 pm 
I would recommend putting it in the wiki and then notifying people here with a link to your wiki entry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:49 am 
The magic of the web is that you can put it one place (only maintain one copy) and link to it from the others. Getting people to follow the links is another matter, and something that used to just about drive me around the bend with the upgrade guides and the wiki. ;-)

My eventual R5.5 to R6 upgrade path was to make a backup (for the DB), copy the directory tree from the old multiple disk LVM setup onto a single external drive, replace all the internal disks with a single drive (and do some other minor hardware upgrades and cleanup at the same time), then do a fresh install of R6 onto that simplified configuration.

Once that was up and running (after lots of fiddling around with video drivers and video configuration) I copied all the media files back across from the external backup, and manually did a partial restore of just the TV recording meta-data and some other config files (e.g. /etc/hosts, my LIRC config, ...).

Transferring the TV meta-data was a fairly complicated job. Extracting the old data from the DB backup was easy enough, but the schema changes between R5.5 and R6.03 required some power hacking on the old SQL insert statements before applying them to the new DB. It took several tries to get it right and I had to reapply the inserts on a couple of the tables again later. At a guess either some of the inserts failed silently due to ordering and FK constraints or something in the system "helpfully" cleaned up on me.

There are still a handful of minor things on my cleanup list but by and large that's the "how-to".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:49 pm 
turpie wrote:
Is this still the best place for this info? Or should it be moved to the LinHES wiki?

What I should have said here is should we remove the info from the ArchLinux wiki and just have a link to the LinHES wiki?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:48 pm 
turpie wrote:
What I should have said here is should we remove the info from the ArchLinux wiki and just have a link to the LinHES wiki?

I would recommend that all LinHES related stuff is kept on LinHES. I agree that the ArchLinux wiki should point to the LinHES wiki.