View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:06 pm 
Hi All,

Just a quick general question of what people use their machines for. I know there is a lot more functionality than what I am using, and am looking for suggestions about what I should try to get setup.

I have a self-built dragon 2.0 box - Core 2 Duo E6400, 2GB Ram, Geforce 7600GS, and 2 HD5000 tuners. I only record OTA stuff (although do have Dish, but we have a vip722 receiver for recoding on it) to my myth box.

I have a xbox360 for streaming netflix and watching dvds. I do occasionally copy tv shows from my windows box and import them into the main myth recorded listing for watching them.

So, my question to all of you, is what else do you do use your system for? In other words, what should I try to get running? Thanks for any thoughts.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:36 pm 
LinHES is designed to be an appliance, so the emphasis is on the Myth and multimedia capabilities. However, I use it for much more than this. Few things you might be interested in:

For video stuff:

MythVideo
Ipod conversion
DVD burning of recordings and other videos

For unrelated stuff:

Web-based torrent client such as torrentflux, torrentflux-b4rt, or rtorrent & wtorrent. Since your box is likely on 24/7, might as well make use of it; these clients allow multiple users, bandwidth limits, quotas, etc. There are a few HOWTOs floating around the forum and elsewhere.

Automatic ebook conversion. I have a Kindle, but Amazon charges money to convert files and send them directly to your Kindle. I wrote a few scripts that make use of calibre (a great open-source ebook suite) so now I can send an e-mail attachment to a magic gmail address; my LinHES box checks the e-mail every 15 minutes, downloads the attachment, converts it, and rsyncs it over to a password-protected website hosted on a university computer. Then, I browse to that site from my Kindle and can download whatever I converted for free.

Shared files. I set up a SMB/CIFS share for our budget and related files. This in itself is useful, but I also wrote a script that checks if the files have been recently modified; if so, it e-mails us both a copy (from an address that GMail filters to a specific folder). This alerts us both of budget updates, etc., and allows us to have a historical log of budgets every time a change is made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:02 pm 
dns nameserver cache

dhcp server

squeezebox server

FE: Linhes 8.4, Mythbuntu, Linux Mint DE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:43 am 
I spent quite a bit of time researching and setting up various torrent setups on my Mythbox. I finally landed at a custom rtorrent build patched for magnet link support and rutorrent for the frontend.

Prior to that I had Vuze (which also supports magnet linnks) setup to run headless with torrentflux-b4rt as the web frontend which worked but was not user friendly.

If anyone has interest in either of these setups let me know as I kept some notes (ok, they are more like chicken scratches but better than nothing).

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:39 am 
i use it for torrent and games , i actually dont watch TV or tape TV with it - i use it for everything else - music, games (mame and nintendo), watching movies, burning DVD's, internet etc.