View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: open-vm-tools success?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:39 pm 
Hi VM based LinHes folk,

As many of you know I have been running knoppmyth/linhes on vmware for quite a while and it is great.

One problem I have struggled with since we moved to ArchLinux is vm-ware tool support within Arch. This tool set goes a long way to optimizing the VM platform so myth runs as smooth as possible as well as enabling managed shutdowns.

The Arch solution seems to be to use open-vm-tools but it currently requires a kernel newer than what we have now.

Before I dig into this, has anyone already cracked this problem?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:27 pm 
christ wrote:
The Arch solution seems to be to use open-vm-tools but it currently requires a kernel newer than what we have now.

Is it just a matter of changing the kernel version in the PKGBUILD or is it something deeper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:18 pm 
I don't know yet. At the moment it is a package available at arch in the contribution section but the dependency was on a higher kernel version. I tried to load it in with pacman and it failed on some dependencies. Can't remember what now as it was a while back. But it was significantly changing my base which I didn't like.

I'm hoping to find a pre-built but failing that I will have to recompile it myself.

Arch is good but perhaps still a little too niche.

I'm just hoping someone can save me some time. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:16 pm 
If you can find an older version of the package you wish to use that "plays nice" with the shipped kernel in LinHES then you should be able to modify the PKGBUILD to pull in the older version.

The difficulty with adding packages that are outside the LinHES repositories is that the main arch repository is 6 month ahead and you end up in a dependency H3|| so bad you give up before you get started. I really, really wish Arch kept an archive of package builds from previous versions similar to the way Gentoo does with the ebuilds. It's extremely painful when you want / need a different version of something that what Arch is serving up that day.

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:43 pm 
christ:

I'm trying to work thru it for you here locally, but I'm in dep tree hell. This does seem very do-able if you're willing to work thru all the deps. For packages that LinHES has, but not the right version, you can probably just change the PKGBUILD to match the version LinHES has. I can send you the PKGBUILDs of what I got thru. Just PM me an email address or catch me in irc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:03 pm 
Martian wrote:
I really, really wish Arch kept an archive of package builds from previous versions similar to the way Gentoo does with the ebuilds. It's extremely painful when you want / need a different version of something that what Arch is serving up that day.

Amen brother. I'm used to CentOS as my main distro for my home server infrastructure. I rarely have any dep issues.

I'll probably pop into Arch's forums and find out why this is the case. But I suspect in this case open-vm-tools is in the contrib section which may be part of the issue.

mihanson wrote:
I'm trying to work thru it for you here locally, but I'm in dep tree hell. This does seem very do-able if you're willing to work thru all the deps.

yes. this is what I recall. But thanks for digging into it! I appreciate it. I'll see you in IRC.