View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:57 am 
Can somebody point me to a post/wiki for correct configuration of widescreen aspect ratio?

I had this working in the past, but since the knoppmyth/LinHES switch i've had some issues. I'll describe:

-i'm running on a 16:9 panel, but it's one of those wonky resolutions. Via the display settings in the LinHes menu i've set output to 800x600.

-the frontend menus (non playback) all fill the screen correctly.

-if i try to display over-the-air 16:9 content, it gets letterboxed top/bottom like it was a 1:2.2 recording. WRONG :(

-If i set the display override to 4:3, 16:9 content fills the screen. Looks correct.

-If i try to playback something that is 1:2.2 and SHOULD be top/bottom letterboxed, that fills the screen as well. WRONG :(

-In the past, I needed to set a DisplaySize in the "Monitor" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. That value doesn't seem to do anything anymore. I've put in some insane numbers to test :)

Any hints on where in can tell mythtv/X11 that the panel IS 16:9 so content will be displayed correctly for all aspect ration?

big thanks!
j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:04 pm 
Well it looks like the root of your problem is that you are outputting a 4:3 video signal to a 16:9 screen your screen is stretching the signal sideways. So if you selected a 16:9 video and squished it to 4:3 and then your screen is stretching it back out to 16:9. Why do you have the LinHES setting at 800x 600 instead of 1920x1080 or 1280 x 720 ?
How is the mythtv connected to the TV?
What is the maximum signal the TV can handle?

Set those things in the LinHES Display settings do a ctrl alt backspace to reboot the front end (important)
Set the the GUI settings in the Mythtv Apperance tab to 800 x 600 and work your way up to the resolution of the video you are outputting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:00 pm 
Yes, I understand all that.

To Recap:

Doesn't matter what resolution I output at.
800x600 (which is as close as possible to the native panel res) or 1280x720.
Using DVI.

UNLESS I force the aspect ratio to 4:3 in mythtv, a 16:9 video doesn't fill the 16:9 screen. It gets letterboxed at the top/bottom.

In knoppmyth, I could fix this by telling X that the screen *really* was 16:9 using DisplaySize in the monitor section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

That setting doesn't do anything in LinHES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:50 am 
What tuner are you using for over-the-air 16:9?
What country are you in?
Is your 1:2.2 source from an over-the-air recording as well?
Are the letter box bars for 16:9 exactly the same size as for the 1:2.2 stuff?

Last edited by jzigmyth on Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:06 am 
What jzigmyth said. Definitely "what country are you in" and "what is the tuner for the 16:9 content."

Here in the States there is no such thing as true over-the-air _analog_ 16:9 content. All analog signals are 4:3 with no option to stretch anamorphic signals (like you have with anamorphic DVD), thus all analog "16x9" material is letterboxed.

Digital broadcasts could be true 16:9, or they could be 4:3 letterboxed, or even worse, 16:9 broadcasts of 4:3 letterboxed material, hence you'd get black boxes all the way around.

In Europe apparently there's something called PAL Plus, which gives broadcasters an option of sending either 4:3 letterboxed (what it sounds like you're recording) or 4:3 anamorphic (like from a DVD, and what it sounds like you want to record). Not being in Europe, I'm not sure what the issues are for recording/playing back that type of signal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:50 pm 
If you need to input a special output resolution there seem to be two ways of doing this. Service Menu>LinHES Configuration>Display settings.
At the top of the page there is check box labeled "advanced xorg configuration" if it is checked then you will see some options about what driver to use what output connector and what kind of monitor it is ATSC NTSC DVD (that Might be an anamorphic output not sure). Under those you can set the output resolution to set values. just under that there is a button called Display settings. That button gives you more control and you can set a unique output resoltuion if you can figure out what two numbers they are.
If the Advanced Xorg configuration box is unchecked there is a new option to use "user supplied config" it then tells you to make edits to the ~/templates/xorg.user file. Hope that helps. What resolution is the monitor? and how do you have it connected?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:44 am 
mattbatt wrote:
If you need to input a special output resolution there seem to be two ways of doing this. Service Menu>LinHES Configuration>Display settings
This feature of the Service Menu did not work in R6.01. Seeing as the Flyspray ticket is still open, I'm guessing it still doesn't work in R6.03.
http://linhes.org/bugs/issues/559
Modifying the xorg.conf is best done manually without using these Service Menu features.

(by the way, at the flyspray web site you can add your vote, up or down, if tickets are important to you)