View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:37 pm 
I'm having a strange problem that I've been trying to figure out for some time. I'm running Linhes 6.03. I installed firefox through pacman. When I view a video in flash player through firefox in full screen mode it crashes with a segmentation fault. After some searching around I found that some users said the problem would go away after disabling the "hardware acceleration" option. My problem is when I right click to open the flash player menu I can't click on any of the boxes to disable it. Does anyone know what would cause this behavior and better yet how to fix it? It would be very appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:43 pm 
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've had the same issue before, and usually I just mash buttons until I either get it to finally respond, or else I will close firefox and try again. I did not have the crashing problem you're experiencing, but when I was full-screen sometimes it was easier to do than when it was not. You may want to try a few different sites and maybe one will work. I don't know of any other way. You can change the storage settings on a page on adobe's website, but not the hardware acceleration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:29 pm 
try adjusting flash on a normal flash object instead of a streaming video. Find some crappy splash page from 10 years ago that is less of a bandwidth hog. Just a suggestion I have no real insight on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:05 am 
Might not hurt to upgrade the browser and the plugin.

The ones currently available in the LinHes repository are pretty out of date, enough so to make me very nervous about known the exploits and holes, and make it worth doing the update by hand.

While the manual process is kind of a bother, firefox 3.6.13 and flashplayer 10.1.102.65 have been providing much better results than the older versions were.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:26 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll give them a try and post back my results.

Post subject: Success!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:04 pm 
I manually upgraded to firefox 3.6.13 and flashplayer 10.1.102.65 and full screen flash works now! woo hoo! Thanks tjc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:53 pm 
Yeah, it's very sweet to pop up a browser, go to your favorite streaming video site, tap the full screen button, and be watching on the big screen.

I'm getting much better with the pointing device on my cordless keyboard as a result. ;-)

OBTW - If you run into the new "load more" button on your favorite youtube channel, it seems to need the Java plugin installed to get it working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:06 pm 
I have run the firefox from pacman (3.5.?) and the 3.6.13. I have never seen your problem. I have also used several different flash players which may help. The test video I used was from http://www.flashvideofactory.com/test/DEMO720_Heima_H264_500K.html I tried to take the CPU usage at the same point in the video using top. That is much easier said then done.

With flash 10.0 in windowed mode, flash was 44% and X was 22%. In full screen mode, flash was 49% and X was 1% or less.

With flash 10.1 in windowed mode, flash was 39% and X was 21%. In full screen mode, flash was 44% and X was 1% or less.

With flash 10.2b in windowed mode, flash was 43% and X was 1%. In full screen mode, flash was 43% and X was 1% or less.

The flash 10.2 beta is at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

A good firefox install howto is at http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21925

Testing was done on a AMD X2 with all 4 cores unlocked. So your numbers will very. I have been running the 10.2b for about a week on both firefox and hulu with no issues so far. The hulu flash and the firefox flash are kept in two different places. You might want to make sure you update both of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:55 pm 
See my note here if you're running an older nvida card which doesn't support VDPAU: http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=131831