View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:54 pm 
Based on my experience, no. I found a good page somewhere about how to test with aplay and it made things much easier. Just guessing that the chipset is going to behave the same on your card, make sure that the connected TV is on, unmuted, and turned to the right source, then try this:
Code:
aplay -D plughw:1,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

If you hear a woman's voice say "Front Center" then it works. If not go through the other devices # for card 1 (i.e. - 3, 8, 9) until you hear it.

Here is the output when I run it and what I ended up with in my /etc/asound.conf:
Code:
[root@black3 ~]# aplay -D plughw:1,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono

Code:
[root@black3 ~]# cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm "hw:1,7"
    }
}

That lets me play flash videos in Firefox and hear the audio. I'm still working on the Apple trailers and such, I suspect that needs the following options added to the mplayer command line:
Code:
-ao alsa:device=hw=1.7

Those work, as does adding this to your /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file:
Code:
ao=alsa:device=default

The config file is probably preferable.

Last edited by tjc on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:10 am 
tjc wrote:
Based on my experience, no. I found a good page somewhere about how to test with aplay and it made things much easier. Just guessing that the chipset is going to behave the same on your card, make sure that the connected TV is on, unmuted, and turned to the right source, then try this:
Code:

If you hear a woman's voice say "Front Center" then it works. If not go through the other devices # for card 1 (i.e. - 3, 8, 9) until you hear it.

Dang it... silence on each iteration....

Quote:
Here is the output when I run it and what I ended up with in my /etc/asound.conf:
Code:
[root@black3 ~]# aplay -D plughw:1,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
[/quote]
I get this response for each iteration, just no sound...

[root@black3 ~]# cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm "hw:1,7"
    }
}

The above was tried with this one (above) installed & rebooted.
should it be just in /etc ?
or /usr/LH/tweaker/fs/etc (where I had been putting it ?

I'm suspecting settings page problems..
I stayed on mythty setup general and the nvidia card can be selected. and it shows up in advanced settings too.. it just doesn't work when selected...

I stayed away from the LinHes configuration audio page 'cuz Stan said that may load an old driver, but I finally looked it over, and setting 'ALSA' 'digital' shows up only the ICH6 Intel card ??... (Backed out without changing anything...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:30 am 
You did this right? (card 1, device 3; card 1, device 7; ...):
Code:
aplay -D plughw:1,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
aplay -D plughw:1,8 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
aplay -D plughw:1,9 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

One of those should produce sound on the TV. You may want to run alsamixer and make sure that it sees the devices too and that they aren't muted. You are connecting the Nvidia card to the TV or AV receiver with an HDMI to HDMI cable right?

The MythTV setup was an oversight on my part, go into setup -> general, and the 4th page with the audio setting has a "Scan for Audio devices" bar at the top. Hit that then you should be able to select the same output that worked above. Beware that the 3, 7, 8, 9 will be mapped to 0,1,2,3. Mine which ALSA calls hw:1,7 shows up as ALSA:hdmi:CARD=Nvidia:DEV=1, it's digital audio so the Digital Dolby and DTS options show up and are checked. You should also be able to turn off the advanced options. On the next page check the box for "use internal volume controls", set the mixer device to "software", and the mixer control to "PCM".

As a late thought make sure the you're using the latest ALSA driver and utils.
Code:
[root@black3 log]# alsactl -v
alsactl version 1.0.24.2
[root@black3 log]# cat /proc/asound/versionAdvanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
Compiled on Mar 31 2011 for kernel 2.6.28-LinHES (SMP).

For reference I've included my aplay -l output, you can see that the Nvidia part matches yours.
Code:
[root@black3 log]# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

OBTW - the warning you were talking about is the LinHES config, not the MythTV config.

Last edited by tjc on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:54 am 
Sigh... I keep thinking of more things... At some point I should probably go back and write all of this up as step by step how to... Maybe some Saturday when I don't owe most of the day to my robotic overlords. :-/

To check the driver version do this (I built this driver myself under 6.04 so your date under 7.00.02 will be different):
Code:
[root@black3 log]# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
Compiled on Mar 31 2011 for kernel 2.6.28-LinHES (SMP).

When you run alsamixer be sure to hit F6 to switch cards and select your Nvidia card and unmute all the outputs. before retesting with aplay. You may also have to make sure the master is unmuted on the default page.

Until you can get sound out using aplay all the other settings don't matter, so focus on that. It's your "proof of life", once you have success there it's just a matter of transferring the settings that worked to the various config points:
    - /etc/asound.conf
    - /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
    - The AudioOutputDevice and MusicAudioDevice in MythTV settings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:14 am 
tjc wrote:
You did this right? (card 1, device 3; card 1, device 7; ...):
Code:
aplay -D plughw:1,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
aplay -D plughw:1,8 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
aplay -D plughw:1,9 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Yep !

Quote:
One of those should produce sound on the TV.

Dang !

Quote:
You may want to run alsamixer and make sure that it sees the devices too and that they aren't muted.

Yes. originally 4 spdif devices were muted... I un-muted them and they have remained un-muted through my bunchsa foolin' around....

Quote:
You are connecting the Nvidia card to the TV or AV receiver with an HDMI to HDMI cable right?

Right !

Quote:
The MythTV setup was an oversight on my part, go into setup -> general, and the 4th page with the audio setting has a "Scan for Audio devices" bar at the top. Hit that then you should be able to select the same output that worked above.

4 options:
ALSA:front:CARD=ICH6,DEV=0
NULL
/dev/dsp
ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia

Quote:
Beware that the 3, 7, 8, 9 will be mapped to 0,1,2,3. Mine which ALSA calls hw:1,7 shows up as ALSA:hdmi:CARD=Nvidia:DEV=1, it's digital audio so the Digital Dolby and DTS options show up and are checked.

Fly-in-ointment:
'Digital Audio Capabilities' shows up as a closed box, no checkboxes...
You can move down one and two lines that provide explanatory text about AC3 Dolby Digital, and 'if your amplifier supports DTS' .... but no checkboxes.. no checks possible.

Quote:
You should also be able to turn off the advanced options.

Tried on and off. 'On' third line:'use a distinct digital output device from default' ...ALSA:hdmi is an option, but doesn't work.
Most testing left this off after that.

Quote:
On the next page check the box for "use internal volume controls", set the mixer device to "software", and the mixer control to "PCM".

Done & Done... No Joy...

Quote:
As a late thought make sure the you're using the latest ALSA driver and utils.

Have 1.023, was standard with 7.00.02
Code:
Targets (1): alsa-lib-1.0.23-2

Total Download Size:    0.32 MB
Total Installed Size:   1.63 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages from core-testing...
error: failed retrieving file 'alsa-lib-1.0.23-2-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from disk : No such file or directory
warning: failed to retrieve some files from core-testing
error: failed to commit transaction (No such file or directory)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Where is 1.024 ?

Quote:
For reference I've included my aplay -l output, you can see that the Nvidia part matches yours.
Code:
[root@black3 log]# alsactl -v
alsactl version 1.0.24.2
[root@black3 log]# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

Quote:
OBTW - the warning you were talking about is the LinHES config, not the MythTV config.

Yes.. I stayed away from the LinHes setup until I ran out of ideas.. then found the Nvidia card wasn't showing up there... I haven't made any changes there yet.

So.. Problems identified: No checkboxes in 'Digital Audio Capabilities' and
Nvidia card not showing up in LinHes audio setup....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:31 am 
OK, I see two issues with the quoted parts below:

- Make sure to hit F6 and switch cards in alsamixer. Unmuting the outputs on card 0 won't help.
- In the setup you have card 0 (ICH6 is the Intel chipset audio) as your output again. It should say pretty much the same as mine, "ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1" and for the music output "ALSA:hw:1,7". You want the HDMI output as primary not a secondary digital output.

snaproll wrote:
Yes. originally 4 spdif devices were muted... I un-muted them and they have remained un-muted through my bunchsa foolin' around....

Quote:
The MythTV setup was an oversight on my part, go into setup -> general, and the 4th page with the audio setting has a "Scan for Audio devices" bar at the top. Hit that then you should be able to select the same output that worked above.

4 options:
ALSA:front:CARD=ICH6,DEV=0
NULL
/dev/dsp
ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia

Quote:
Beware that the 3, 7, 8, 9 will be mapped to 0,1,2,3. Mine which ALSA calls hw:1,7 shows up as ALSA:hdmi:CARD=Nvidia:DEV=1, it's digital audio so the Digital Dolby and DTS options show up and are checked.

Fly-in-ointment:
'Digital Audio Capabilities' shows up as a closed box, no checkboxes...
You can move down one and two lines that provide explanatory text about AC3 Dolby Digital, and 'if your amplifier supports DTS' .... but no checkboxes.. no checks possible.

Quote:
You should also be able to turn off the advanced options.

Tried on and off. 'On' third line:'use a distinct digital output device from default' ...ALSA:hdmi is an option, but doesn't work.
Most testing left this off after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:45 am 
Quote:
Where is 1.024 ?

I got the src packages from core-testing, hang on while I find the URI... OK, thank goodness for command history! Driver source:
Code:
wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.24.tar.bz2

I configured with the following option recommended in the ALSA install directions to avoid conflicts with the existing kernel drivers:
Code:
./configure --with-moddir=updates

These are the lib, utils, and firmware src packages (I only installed the first two!)
Code:
wget http://linhes.org/repo/src_packages/core-testing/alsa-lib-1.0.24.1-1.src.tar.gz
wget http://linhes.org/repo/src_packages/core-testing/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-1.src.tar.gz
wget http://linhes.org/repo/src_packages/core-testing/alsa-firmware-1.0.23-1.src.tar.gz

I don't remember having to tweak the PKGBUILD files for any of those, but if you run into trouble just yell, and I'll do a diff against the originals. The directions at the head of this thread already have the rest of the build instructions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:00 am 
Thank You !
I'll get crackin' on that ! ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:00 pm 
tjc wrote:
OK, I see two issues with the quoted parts below:

- Make sure to hit F6 and switch cards in alsamixer. Unmuting the outputs on card 0 won't help.
- In the setup you have card 0 (ICH6 is the Intel chipset audio) as your output again. It should say pretty much the same as mine, "ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1" and for the music output "ALSA:hw:1,7". You want the HDMI output as primary not a secondary digital output.

F6 changes to the nvidia card for unmuting, but the Intel card sticks as card 0, and nvidia remans card 1 after escape..... ??
This is with the Nvidia card selected in the setup page...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:14 pm 
That's sane, 0 and 1 should not flop around. If you want to get the HDMI output as 0, you can try disabling the motherboard sound in your BIOS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:26 pm 
tjc wrote:
That's sane, 0 and 1 should not flop around. If you want to get the HDMI output as 0, you can try disabling the motherboard sound in your BIOS.

I looked, that's not available ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:52 pm 
tjc wrote:
Quote:
Where is 1.024 ?

I got the src packages from core-testing, hang on while I find the URI... OK, thank goodness for command history! Driver source:
Code:
wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.24.tar.bz2

I configured with the following option recommended in the ALSA install directions to avoid conflicts with the existing kernel drivers:
Code:
./configure --with-moddir=updates

These are the lib, utils, and firmware src packages (I only installed the first two!)
Code:
wget http://linhes.org/repo/src_packages/core-testing/alsa-lib-1.0.24.1-1.src.tar.gz
wget http://linhes.org/repo/src_packages/core-testing/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-1.src.tar.gz
wget http://linhes.org/repo/src_packages/core-testing/alsa-firmware-1.0.23-1.src.tar.gz

I don't remember having to tweak the PKGBUILD files for any of those, but if you run into trouble just yell, and I'll do a diff against the originals. The directions at the head of this thread already have the rest of the build instructions.

I just wanted to share that this method with minor changes worked for me to get the HDMI sound working on a Zotac GT430 in Linhes 6.04. I'm doing this from memory as I actually got it working late last night so hopefully I'm not missing too much.

I downloaded the alsa-driver package and configured + make + make install just like TJC suggested above. Also setup the core-testing definitions in pacman.conf like was suggested earlier in the thread. However for the alsa-lib and alsa-utils I used pacman -Sy alsa-lib and pacman -Sy alsa-utils. Packages loaded were all 1.0.24.

After a reboot I verified the alsa versions using the cat /etc/asound/version and alsactl -v. Next using aplay -l I was able to verify that the Nvidia card HDMI devices were available. Using alsamixer I was able to switch to the NVIDIA card (#1) and unmute the 4 spdif connections (1-4) then use command alsactl store to save the setting.

Next I verified which device actually worked using: aplay -D plughw:1,9 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
(this was the one that actually worked on my card)

At this point I was really happy to hear something coming out of the speaker after messing with the system on and off for over a week trying to get the onboard sound working without success. Lastly I went into Service menu/ myth setup/ general and scanned for audio devices then set it up for the new device as well as in the audio setup in Linhes menu.

Thank you so much for the help and suggestions they were much appreciated in getting this box functional again after the upgrade from R5.5.

Box Stats: MSI 945 GM3 motherboard, 1G ram, 1TB Sata Drive, Zotac GT 430 video, Hauppauge pvr 250, Hauppauge pvr 500, Antec media server case, Linhes 6.0.4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:16 am 
Thanks for the info, glad to hear someone else got it workin' .....

I had pretty bad luck with that, ever since tjc tried to talk me through it....

Part of the problem was my 210 card, a 'BFG' (Sold by Fry's, & they no longer make video cards) kept overheating, blacking out, and crashing the machine. This didn't go well for WAF (was her production' machine.... :lol:

So for a while I had the 8400 back in that machine until I got around to trying it again by switching the MSI 210 card out of the Kid's 'production' machine (running 6.02, sound over HDMI not supported) [Wife's is latest 7]

This didn't work out either. The MSI card doesn't show up in the aplay sound devices list, although it does scan in the ALSA setup page (??).... and running tjc's checklist never went anywhere with it.

I may want to try a Zotac 430 card to see if I can follow your path.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:14 pm 
The Zotac 430 should work, and I love the zone edition silent one in my primary workstation, but it's HUGE.

The ASUS 210 card I used in the LinHES box works well too and is both cheaper and substantially smaller. It's still a slot width hog, but at least it's only half height, not full height plus.

OBTW - Worth mentioning, I switched to explicit card naming everywhere that the config needs the ALSA device. This after the card order flipped one day after a reboot and suddenly hw:1,7 was no longer my Nvidia video cards hdmi audio or even a valid card/device combo. Duh-oh! Everything now says "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1" instead of "hw:1,7".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:16 pm 
I am getting here late, but I am having problems compiling alsa-utils, wondered if anyone had seen this and can offer a suggestions:
Code:
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/alsa/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2/alsaucm'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../include -Wall -I../include -I../../alsa-lib/include    -g -O2 -MT usecase.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/usecase.Tpo -c -o usecase.o usecase.c
usecase.c:40:27: error: alsa/use-case.h: No such file or directory
usecase.c:47: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘snd_use_case_mgr_t’
usecase.c: In function ‘dump_help’:
usecase.c:104: error: ‘struct context’ has no member named ‘command’
usecase.c:105: error: ‘struct context’ has no member named ‘command’
usecase.c: In function ‘parse_line’:

Did some searches, can't find any references to use-case.h.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next