View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:22 pm 
After a few years without a working KM box, I decided to build a new one. Well, why not start with the bleeding edge... Anyway, my old Streamzap remote would give me 2 or 3 events for the up, down, right and left keys. It seems that X is installing it as a keyboard device. The workaround that I came up with is to blacklist it. I added the following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-quirks.conf

Code:
# We don't want X to handle the IR remote, let lircd do it

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Streamzap IR remote blacklist"
        MatchProduct "Streamzap PC Remote Infrared Receiver"
        Option "Ignore" "on"
EndSection

I hope this helps anyone else having this problem.

-Shawn

** Cecil, what about adding this (or something like it) in the next release?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:34 pm 
This was reported in http://linhes.org/bugs/issues/761 and has been fixed in the lircd run script. I have not tested it with the Streamzap since I don't have one but it worked on my mce remotes. You should just need to do a pacman -Syu to get the latest. You can then remove the lirc package (pacman -R lirc) as it isn't needed any longer.

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:46 pm 
Thanks Britney. I guess that I should have checked the closed bug list.
X doesn't see it as a keyboard after the update, but the remote seems much more sensitive now. I have to just tap the keys in order to not get multiple key presses. Adjusting repeat doesn't help (up to 100). irw is reporting multiple up/down events. Your patch shouldn't have affected that, maybe I just noticed it now. I'll hunt it down later. I need to make ALSA work a bit better over HDMI.

LH 7.00.02 (custom kernel K8 & PAE)| ASUS M4A89GTD PRO | AMD PhenomII 955 Black | 8GB Kingston DDR3 1600 | 2 x HDHR dual tuner | ASUS GT430 HDMI A/V out | 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB (sata) | ASUS DRW-24B3ST DVD-RW | GearHead KB3800TPW Kbd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:52 am 
Did you remove the lirc pkg? If not that could be why irw is seeing multiple up/down events. The patch that went in makes the in-kernel streamzap module use lirc so if you still have the lirc streamzap module installed each button press might be duplicated because the in-kernel streamzap module and the lirc streamzap module are both sending events to lirc.

What do you get with:
Code:
lsmod | grep streamzap

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:31 am 
Yes I did. The output from lsmod | grep streamzap is:

Code:
[root@New_Myth_Backend ~]# lsmod | grep streamzap
rc_streamzap             906  0
streamzap               4480  0
ir_core                12882  12 cx88xx,ir_common,ir_lirc_codec,ir_rc5_sz_decoder,rc_streamzap,ir_sony_decoder,ir_jvc_decoder,ir_rc6_decoder,ir_rc5_decoder,ir_nec_decoder,streamzap
usbcore               116696  8 usbhid,usb_storage,uas,streamzap,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd,xhci_hcd
[root@New_Myth_Backend ~]#

-Shawn

LH 7.00.02 (custom kernel K8 & PAE)| ASUS M4A89GTD PRO | AMD PhenomII 955 Black | 8GB Kingston DDR3 1600 | 2 x HDHR dual tuner | ASUS GT430 HDMI A/V out | 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB (sata) | ASUS DRW-24B3ST DVD-RW | GearHead KB3800TPW Kbd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:03 am 
Shawn,

Out of curiosity what do you get with:
Code:
cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols

Adjusting the repeat in the lircrc should change the sensitivity to keypresses. It does for my mce, I wonder why it isn't for your streamzap.

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:23 pm 
Britney,

Here is the output

Code:
[root@New_Myth_Backend ~]# cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz [lirc]
[root@New_Myth_Backend ~]#

I think that the problem is at a lower level. I don't always get multiple key presses. If I just tap the key very fast I will get just one up/down event pair. If I press the key normally, I will get 2 or 3 event pairs. I believe that lircd needs some more "debouncing" for this remote. Do you know if there is a configuration option somewhere to set the "debounce time"? If this isn't resolved after I fix all of the higher priorities i.e. good audio for all apps (including flash) over HDMI, odd decoding of audio (some programs lose the center channel), Schedules Direct associations, etc, Then I will dig out the scope and see what the remote is really sending and try to resolve it from there. Oh well, I just started this build Saturday and I guess it will take more than a couple of days to get all of the kinks worked out.

-Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:30 pm 
In my experience debugging is implemented in the keypad of the device. To confirm this, you could try using a new remote or try the suspect remote on another system. If the remote is older and inexensive, I would try a new remote.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:05 pm 
@ShawnEverson - found this on a google for 'streamzap double keys' - thanks so much for the info!

EDIT: more here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=St ... _PC_Remote

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:20 am 
ShawnEverson wrote:
my old Streamzap remote would give me 2 or 3 events for the up, down, right and left keys. It seems that X is installing it as a keyboard device. The workaround that I came up with is to blacklist it. I added the following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-quirks.conf

Code:
# We don't want X to handle the IR remote, let lircd do it

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Streamzap IR remote blacklist"
        MatchProduct "Streamzap PC Remote Infrared Receiver"
        Option "Ignore" "on"
EndSection

Running 7.1 and having double events with the streamzap after updating the nvidia driver. I tried this change but I still see the following in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Code:
[137607.277] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Streamzap PC Remote Infrared Receiver (0e9c:0000) (/dev/input/event5)

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:58 pm 
This was a self-inflicted wound. I edited the "lircrc" file in the templates directory using emacs. emacs left its usual breadcrumb -- "lircrc~". Somehow the file in /etc/lircrc got regenerated to #include both "lircrc" and "lircrc~". Thus the duplicate actions.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:33 am 
DOH!