View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:33 am 
Is there a way of finding out the IP Address the machine is currently using. My router decided to dish out a new IP Address for my LINHES 6.04 install. I managed to guess what the new one was and get it working but is there somewhere it is listed in LINHES?

Also in MythTV can you put in the hostname for the IP Address in the server settings? I tried and it didn't work. Just thought it would be better as then if the IP Address changes it does not matter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 am 
Ryan555 wrote:
Is there a way of finding out the IP Address the machine is currently using. My router decided to dish out a new IP Address for my LINHES 6.04 install. I managed to guess what the new one was and get it working but is there somewhere it is listed in LINHES?

Also in MythTV can you put in the hostname for the IP Address in the server settings? I tried and it didn't work. Just thought it would be better as then if the IP Address changes it does not matter?

Code:
$ ifcondig eth0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:22 pm 
Can you get the router to pin the DHCP assignment based on MAC address or hostname? I know my old LinkSys BEFSR41 could _not_, which is one of the reasons in now waiting to be recycled, but most more modern routers should be able to do this.

With my current RB750G it's just a matter of clicking on a "make static" button in the WebUI and then the DHCP server will always reserve and assign the same IP address for that MAC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:48 pm 
Thankyou both for the info.

tjc: I have purchased a new router (Billion 7404VNOX) but have not installed it yet so hopefully it will have a "make static" button or something similar.

graysky: For the $ ifcondig eth0 command how do I input that command in LINHES I'm guessing from the Terminal but how do you access the Terminal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:46 am 
Alt X from the keyboard will give you a terminal window

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:36 am 
My derailleur was recently re-indexed and so outputs a slight difference: ipconfig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:03 pm 
Good and bad news.

I did briefly manage to try out the ifconfig eth0 command by pressing ALT X (there is a typo in Grayskys post as ifcondig did not work)

It showed my ipaddress ok, so thanks for that.

The bad news is I was all set to use my system when it came up at boot with Overclocking failed press F1 to load setup or F2 to continue.

So after all that I think my motherboard is no good (ASUS P4P800S).

Time to start again :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:52 pm 
I get those errors if I reboot while the system is booting. Also if you have Plug and Play (PNP) turned on in your router you can type the name you gave your system into the address bar for example mine used to be Pippin so I can type Pippin into the address bar and boom it goes to the right IP.