View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:18 pm 
Mythphone is a defunct plugin that provided a basic SIP videophone. I am now using SIP telephony to replace my landline and it would be very cool if it was integrated with mythTV. Is anyone out there using their LH box to perform SIP Telephony?

I am considering adding Asterisk if there is no better suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:35 am 
If you set up an Asterisk (SIP) server, make sure to protect it carefully so that no one can connect to it from the outside. If they can, it could be used to make free phone calls at your expense or worse: Call expensive pay numbers (again at your expense) and thus rob you of just about any amount.

Cheers and good luck with the project,
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:24 am 
That's good advice.

I have my ports closed up and require sip peers to authenticate with my Asterisk server. I block traffic from known problem countries (such as Nigeria) and have a program on my router to check the logs and ban IPs that hammer on my firewall (similar to fail2ban).

To minimize risk associated with $, I store only $5 on an account and when it is burned, that's it. I would have to manually recharge it.

I am open to other specific and actionable security suggestions.

I was hoping that others have used the LinHES platform with Asterisk and share their experiences here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:20 pm 
I would love to hook up some of my myth front ends as a SIP endpoint. Somehow I think this may come back around at some point given the rise of add on boxes and "Smart TVs". But the interactions with existing functionality might be a little tricky.

I currently use Mitel's MCD (commercial package) on top of VMWare in the house which has good SIP support and I also use SIP only trunks. I use a border gateway (e.g. SBC) to protect my SIP trunks and allow for tromboning etc. This is also a Mitel product called MBG and it too is on VMWare.

While all of my stuff is commercial product there are a number of open source alternatives (albeit more basic). Asterisk is probably the most popular and it has several distros that will get you up and going (e.g. SAIL, freepbx, etc).

For a border gateway there are also open source variants such as OpenSER and OpenSBC.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:16 am 
christ wrote:
I would love to hook up some of my myth front ends as a SIP endpoint. Somehow I think this may come back around at some point given the rise of add on boxes and "Smart TVs". But the interactions with existing functionality might be a little tricky.

I currently use Mitel's MCD (commercial package) on top of VMWare in the house which has good SIP support and I also use SIP only trunks. I use a border gateway (e.g. SBC) to protect my SIP trunks and allow for tromboning etc. This is also a Mitel product called MBG and it too is on VMWare.

While all of my stuff is commercial product there are a number of open source alternatives (albeit more basic). Asterisk is probably the most popular and it has several distros that will get you up and going (e.g. SAIL, freepbx, etc).

For a border gateway there are also open source variants such as OpenSER and OpenSBC.

Hi christ,

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

Last edited by john1909 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:26 am 
john1909 wrote:
Did you ever end up hooking up your myth front ends as SIP endpoints? I am grappling with the same concept right now and can't quite figure it out.

I have not. Myth used to have sip end point support a while back (0.19 era iirc) but it was removed due to lack of support. I have not really looked into doing it myself as I have too many other priorities. But if someone else put the effort into a recipe or plug in, I would certainly use it and help validate it.