View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:47 pm 
As reported in the Installation forum, I went through a week-long process to get 7.1 to a working state. Everything seemed to work fine until today. Here's what happened:

The keyboard was more accessible than I meant it to be, and my son might have pressed some keys. My wife turned on the TV at 12:30 and saw the screen frozen on a program with an 11:05 timestamp in the corner. She had not been watching TV. In fact, the system had been idle since last night.

When she rebooted the computer, X would not start. I got home and found that X was having vmalloc errors. I added vmalloc=256M to my startup in grub and that seemed to work fine. I don't know why the system worked great for 3 days and suddenly today needs vmalloc=256M, but if it works I'm not complaining.

Now mythfrontend is crashing when we press the commercial skip button during playback. There is no error in the frontend log, but the backend log has this:

Code:
Nov 23 19:17:39 mythtv kernel: [   30.414704] mythfrontend[2021]: segfault at 340025 ip b2968cd6 sp aaef22f0 error 4 in libnvidia-tls.so.285.05.09[b2968000+3000]

I have this error multiple times, once for each time I tried skipping a commercial. I also see the following error:

Code:
Nov 23 20:28:34 mythtv kernel: [ 4285.909125] mythfrontend[6951]: segfault at bde44c97 ip b55e0778 sp bfcf1ef0 error 4 in libQtCore.so.4.7.3[b5538000+28a000]

Now, the last weird error: since I've been home, I've seen the background a lot since frontend keeps crashing. During that time the background changed itself from the R7 background to the R6 background! I'm not too concerned about seeing the proper version number, but it's disconcerting to me that the system is so unstable things like this can change themselves.

In summary, these problems might be unrelated or they might indicate a larger problem. The first thing I checked was disk space, and I'm sitting fine at 80% used on /. What else can I check?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:20 pm 
I am also experiencing a segfault in mythwelcome and possibly mythfrontend. Sometimes it launches and other times it segfaults. Sometimes the frontend crashes when I select a recording to play or select live TV. I haven't found anything besides the segfault yet. Running
Code:
sudo sv restart frontend
gives it another try.

Update: A Google search turned up this discussion, which indicates that the 285.05.09 version of the NVIDIA driver is not so stable. Perhaps we could change to a different version that is more stable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:54 pm 
I am also seeing mythfrontend issues where the front end just dies and goes to the LinHes screen. This seems to happen when I'am looking at the program schedule while while watching live TV.

I've looked in all the logs but have not seen any segfault errors, so this may be more related to Mythtv rather than LinHES R7.1

Not sure how to trouble shoot this one either. Any thoughts?

My dmesg.log says I'm loading

NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 285.05.09

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:22 pm 
My commercial-skipping shutdowns seem to have been related to a bad commercial seek table. I also was experiencing the problem where the show would randomly jump 10 minutes with no way to watch the content in between.

On advice from an older post here, I ran

Code:
mythcommflag --rebuild --all

In just over 24 hours it went through all my recordings and I was able to watch the troublesome shows again. No more segfaults, either, so I squashed at least one part of the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:46 pm 
chael wrote:
Update: A Google search turned up this discussion, which indicates that the 285.05.09 version of the NVIDIA driver is not so stable. Perhaps we could change to a different version that is more stable...
This thread details how to revert to a stable nvidia driver (280.xxx) in 7.1
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:46 pm 
Thank you. That is a quick fix to a very annoying problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:05 pm 
This seem's to have resolved the stability problems I was having as well.
Quote:
This thread details how to revert to a stable nvidia driver (280.xxx) in 7.1
Code:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22352&highlight=