View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:07 am 
Hi guys,

I have a couple of question relating to setting up my LinHES mythbox and getting it to play nice with my recently built freenas box. Has anyone done anything similar and can help me with this?

My music, movies and photos are on my FreeNAS box and I want mythmusic, mythvideo and myth pictures to pick up the server's broadcast. I set up firefly and minidlna correctly as they both stream to other devices successfully. However not, as far as I can tell to LinHES. In the short term I have set up NFS shares and mounted music and videos to a directory in /myth. However the performance has been horrible. The machine to get itself into a pickle, especially when trying to scrape metadata about the individual media files.
It could be my router and putting a switch between the system to remove the router's potential bottleneck, but I would like to stream the media directly which does work.

Anyone know how to get LinHES to play the dlna / daap streams and locally hold the relevent meta data?

Regards

Chris

Last edited by tophee on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:26 am 
Quote:
Anyone know how to get LinHES to play the dlna / daap streams and locally hold the relevent meta data?

I have not tried to do that. I have a similar setup -- a dlink DNS-321 NAS serving media files. I have done some benchmarking over the years with 3 different machines and found the following:

1. DLINK DNS-321 <-> LINHES: Samba/ CIFS was faster than using NFS.

2. DLINK DNS-321 <-> Networked Media Tank media player box: NFS was faster than Samba / CIFS.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:34 am 
Mmm, that makes interesting reading... perhaps I should just stream everything to my xbox. It'd be easier to convert all my files from mkv to something more xbox friendly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:59 am 
Here's an old thread with information on performance of various NAS servers. I don't know why it has a title about "Bladder problems" -- looks like it may have been corrupted at some point, but the key posts are still there. Look for posts by me -- "marc.aronson". I compare the performance of freenas vs. openfiler. There are also useful posts by other folks on that thread. It's an old thread, so the data is dated, but it may help. Some key extracts below.

Marc

Quote:
I've been exerimenting with freeNas, although I am not using it in production yet. The web interface for adminstering it is great and it has support for soft-raid. My box is an old dell XPS T500, P3-500mhz, 386MB RAM. I ran some experiments, and here is where it get's interesting:

1. Tranfsering a ~1GByte file via CIFS/Samba on freeNas, the sustained transfer rate was ~45mbits/second.

2. I then did a clean install of knoppmyth (R5D1), on the same machine, disabled the backend / frontend processes and tried to transfer the same file. The sustained transfer rate was closer to ~60mbits/second.

So my experinece is that the Knoppmyth install can be used to provide a higher-performing NAS server than FreeNAS. On the other hand:

1. freeNas defintely provides a very nice web-based admin tool, and i haven't found any webmin tools that could be used with a knoppmyth install that come close. (This is not a complaint -- Knoppmyth was not designed for this purpose.)

2. freeNas's "soft raid" capability will work with USB as well as fixed drives. The last time I tried, LVM would not work with USB drives.

Choices, choices, choices...

Quote:
I've run some tests on both freenas & openfiler -- here is my brief comparison between the two:

1. Openfiler is more complex to configure then freenas.
2. Documented hardware requirements for Openfiler is p3-500mhz and 256MB RAM min. This is more freenas requires.
3a. Openfiler Samba performance is 68mb/second on a p3-500 vs. 45mb/sec with freenas.
3b. Openfiler ftp performance is a mid-blowing 92mb/sec.
4. Openfiler CPU utilization is 50% during 1GB samba transfer vs. 75% on freenas.
5. Openfiler appears to be secure and placing it outside your filerwall may be safe. Having said this, I would recomend doing more research on this before trying it.
6. Openfiler allows the extra space in the boot drive to be joined into an LVM partition. LVM is an alternative to JBOD. On freenas, the extra space on the bootdrive cannot be linked into a raid JBOD drive.
7. Openfiler does not come with an out-of-the-box UPNP server; freenas does. Having said this, I suspect you can install a UPNP package onto the openfiler install.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:11 pm 
Cheers Marc, I will read through that and let you know how I get on.