View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:29 pm 
Of course because I have 25 people over for the Superbowl, MythTV decided not to work right tonight. I started watching the game about 45 mins after kickoff, and the screen sat on "Please Wait" for 10 minutes without doing anything.

After a lot of unsuccessful troubleshooting, I wound up restarting the backend so that it would put a break in the recording and let me watch the already recorded part. When that part ended, I tried the new recording. It sat on "Please Wait" for about a minute, started to play, and then froze. I quickly restarted the frontend and then the backend to break the recording again and to be able to start watching again. I guess for the rest of the night I'll have to stop the game every 45 mins or so.

I have fairly high end hardware and have successfully watched HD programming while recording before. I turned off auto commercial flag, and there's no transcoding job running. Top is relatively low. Is there anything else I can try? I guess if no one sees this soon it will be too late anyway. The last time this happened it turned out VDPAU had been disabled when I did an upgrade, but I haven't had any upgrades recently. I guess I'll see if there's anything I can do in the background to verify VDPAU is running.

Last edited by DoomedTX on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:01 am 
Site Admin
This appears to be a problem with mythtv .27
some see stuttering while watching a in-progress recording, others see a very long stall when first attempting to start the playback.

I know it doesn't help much, but maybe knowing your not alone and there is a myth ticket open will take the edge off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:26 am 
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. In the end my guests convinced me it wasn't really a big deal (in retrospect, it really wasn't). Every 45 minutes or so when I reached the end of one recording, I would alt+3 to restart the backend and break off a chunk from the in progress recording. Then we watched that segment until it ended.

Apparently superbowl glitches are fairly common, like the light fiasco last year. This year the local cable company lost Fox for ~25 minutes. As far as I can tell, they managed to resume the broadcast from the stopped point, and our area watched the broadcast on a 25-minute delay.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:51 pm 
"I guess I'll see if there's anything I can do in the background to verify VDPAU is running."

Menu / Playback / Playback Data will show which decoder is currently running while the show is playing.

I'm not sure how to tell if Vdpau is running if you aren't playing back a show/video.