View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:13 pm 
I appear to have upgraded to R5D1 ok. I have a PVR-150 card and as tjc said, it wasn't working upon install. However, I "dropped all cards" in mythtv-setup and then just set them up again and I was able to watch TV on both tuners again.

The only frustrating glitch so far is that the wireless driver I need for my USB nic does not seem to want to compile on this new kernel (but worked fine on 2.6.15!) I'll ask about this in another thread.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:34 pm 
timmayk wrote:
what do you mean by dropping your card definitions? how do you do this?

Described in detail in step 11 on the CompileIvtv page which it refers you to.
timmayk wrote:
do you mean to only do steps 8-11 on the page? http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=CompileIvtv

Yes, steps 8, 9, 10, and 11 are "the last 4 steps" in that procedure.

I've thought about breaking those out into their own page, but getting people to follow links seems to be impossible, as shown by the troubleshooting pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:28 am 
Pardon my ignorance to the install procedure, but you note in step 2. After install from cd and reboot:
Code:
- If you're using LVM with the standard volume group name of "vg" use the recreate_lvm.sh script to restore it. Otherwise you'll need to edit the script to use the "right" volume group name for you system.

If I do the test, does it offer an option for upgrade, therefore not reformatting and wiping out my hda3 partition. I already have LVM running. Does the "test" method of booting not see that, or does it have an option not to "re-create" the partition, causing cfdisk to reformat it and what not. I am only asking because I have not yet tried the "test" mode of booting, but before I do, I do not wish to lose my recorded shows. Just a question?

:shock:

Biostar GeForce 6100 Motherboard M109
1x Air2Pc rev.2 1x PVR150MCE
Maddog DVD/RW-DL Drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:16 pm 
The recreate_lvm.sh script is "content safe" it simply gets the OS to recognize the exisiting volume group. It basically just does a scan, activates the group, adds the appropriate init actions, and corrects the fstab entries. If your vg is named something other than "vg" edit the script and substitue the right name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:55 pm 
so far, this has been the most painless and easy upgrade since I've been using KnoppMyth(almost 3 years now?) still running the same hardware minus the drive and video card upgrades.

Thank you TJ for the thorough instructions, worked perfectly from R5C7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:32 am 
I am planning on doing the upgrade from R5C7 to R5D1 this weekend. And then on to myth.20, however, I did not see in the beginning of this post. And although it may seem a stupid question, when I boot the disc with the Testcd option, I then want to perform an "Auto Upgrade" correct. I don't want anyhthing to do with an "Install" choice.

The option I choose should be something in relation to "upgrade" preferrably "Auto Upgrade". Then once that reboots, Ctrl-Alt-F1 and set up my LVM, NFS, and verify a working Xfree config.

Please let me know if this is the correct way.

:-)

Maddog DVD/RW-DL Drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:38 pm 
Auto upgrade only works if you did an auto install. If you had to do a manual install you need to do a manual upgrade, see Cecil's instructions in the pamphlet for that. These tips are silent on that count because they apply in either case, and are only intended as a supplement to the pamphlet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:26 am 
ok. I did in fact do an autoinstall. So the auto upgrade could be an option. But doing a manual upgrade may let me see whats going on, So I guess I'll have to decide the best way. Thanks for the input. I guess now all I have to do is search the forums, to see if R5D1 still has issues with AMD64.

Maddog DVD/RW-DL Drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:34 pm 
You really don't to do a manual upgrade unless you have to. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:45 pm 
Hi

To add to tjc's comment, the manual install is for when you have multi boot or serial drives, the sort of "abby normal" setups.

Example would be is I have Ubuntu also installed and an auto anything would over write my mbr. With manual install I can tell it to put lilo into a partition therefore protecting the original grub boot loader. The system is happy and therefore I am happy:)

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:40 am 
Thanks for this post - very helpful!

Just another note for those who are doing the upgrade for the first time (like I am currently) - I was a little worried when doing the auto-upgrade about its warnings regarding erasing /dev/hda1 completely - After doing some checks in a virtual console shell, I realised that the my relevant data would be okay as it was stored on /dev/hda3. This might be obvious to anyone who's spent a bit of time with knoppmyth, but thought it was worth mentioning for those that might be scared of the prompts during the upgrade.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:26 am 
I did a clean install of R5D, and had
Code:
 tuner 2-0061: tuner type not set

in my dmesg. Inserting options ivtv tuner=55 into /etc/modprobe.conf worked great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:51 am 
For future readers, don't do this blindly. Forcing that setting should be based on a specific set of symptoms seen in the logfiles as described in the issues section of the first posting in this thread, or on this wiki page: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... ptureCards

For a general capture card setup troubleshooting checklist see this wiki page: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... WatchingTV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:43 pm 
Unstick me...

Go to page Previous  1, 2