View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:27 pm 
How does your setup comapre to this? I'm expecting to see different version numbers and hostnames but the rest should be similar.
Code:
root@black2:~# mysql -u root mythconverg -e "select * from settings where value='PreferredMPEG2Decoder'"
+-----------------------+------+----------+
| value                 | data | hostname |
| PreferredMPEG2Decoder | xvmc | black2   |
root@black2:~# cat /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
/usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
root@black2:~# ls -altr /usr/lib/libXvMCN*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 170732 Oct 19 21:45 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.8776
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     25 Mar  7 22:12 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.8776
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     25 Mar  7 22:12 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1 -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.8776

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:26 pm 
root@mythtv:~# mysql -u root mythconverg -e "select * from settings where value= 'PreferredMPEG2Decoder'"

| value | data | hostname |
| PreferredMPEG2Decoder | xvmc | mythtv |

root@mythtv:~# cat /etc/X11/XvMCConfig

root@mythtv:~# ls -altr /usr/lib/libXvMCN*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Mar 10 11:37 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 - > libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.9746
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 178924 Mar 10 11:37 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.9746
root@mythtv:~#

Initially "libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1' had only read permissions.. I fixed 'em..
But it still runs with a stutter & a colored OSD. I wonder if the permissions got damaged, could the file have too ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:20 pm 
snaproll wrote:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Mar 10 11:37 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 - > libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.9746
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 178924 Mar 10 11:37 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.9746

Initially "libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1' had only read permissions.. I fixed 'em..
But it still runs with a stutter & a colored OSD. I wonder if the permissions got damaged, could the file have too ?

It only needs read permissions, so that didn't "fix" anything. The permissions were fine the way they were. I would recommend putting it back the way it was, adding the other symbolic link, and restarting the front end:
Code:
chmod u=rw,go=r /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.9746
ln -s /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.9746 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1
pkill xinit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:25 pm 
Thanks tjc !!

I put it back the way it should be according to your examples:
root@mythtv:~# mysql -u root mythconverg -e "select * from settings where value= 'PreferredMPEG2Decoder'"
| value | data | hostname |
| PreferredMPEG2Decoder | xvmc | mythtv |
root@mythtv:~# cat /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 178924 Mar 10 11:37 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.9746
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Mar 12 20:22 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1 -> /usr/l ib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.9746

I still get a blue OSD (?)
I'll try with the other de-interlaces (was trying 'onefield')

As a progress report on the testbed, It does digital SD (6g/h) files fine. Top shows that as 33% cpu, 31% to mythfrontend, 3% to xorg.
1080HD (CBS 7.2g/h) dramatically runs that up to 98%cpu, 88 mythfrontend, 10% xorg. [xvmc selected but not working entirely..]

About the same figures for libmpeg2 and kernal (or onefield)

OK, a 2 ghz machine won't quite do smooth HD, but it does define the bottom edge. I use a 3.2 ghz machine to 'be sure' but it looks like 2.8 an maybe even 2.4 machines are prospects.

I'll keep playin'.. maybe even find that 'magic bullet'.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:42 pm 
snaproll wrote:
I'll try with the other de-interlaces (was trying 'onefield')

That may well be it. I'm pretty sure bob2x is one of the few that works with XvMC. At least that's what I was using when I tested this.

For SDTV XvMC dropped my usage from 14-16% for the FE and 3-4% for the X server to 10-12% for the FE and 1-2% for the X server. Call it a 25-33% decrease in CPU usage. For HDTV the gains should be even bigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:47 pm 
snaproll wrote:
So much or a fleet of lower cost HD mythboxes.... :lol:

On the plus side, lower cost WILL come in time. The requirements are not a moving target (like on Windowz, where you have to beef up the system every year just to keep up with the anti-malware and have enough left over to be able to use the thing). The requirements for HD playback should stay constant, so the systems WILL be cheap eventually. In a year, a solid 3.0 Ghz CPU/Mobo combo should be pretty cheap. In two years, you'd be hard pressed to find something that doesn't meet the specs for HD. In 3 years, you should be ok with junk from the yard sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:08 pm 
tjc;

Changed to Bob & rebooted.. still got the color. I wonder if something small got bent in that recompile for 20 seconds and stop with ctl-C in the prep for nvidia upgrade procedure,
From the numbers you have, the 'magic bullet' may be worth pursuing still.

thornsoft:
I know.. the HD requirements are pretty much fixed at 3 ghz, and by next year, the only thing that will run Windoze will be 6 ghz....
:lol:

I've been buying ex-office IbMs off ebay, & the slow ones are cheap & getting cheaper every day... I made two NTSC Mythboxes from 1 ghz NetVistas and they work fine. But NTSC is on the way out & I turned to HD, built the first one on a 1,8ghz IBM... Hitched a bit, but showed the potential...

So I was going to build my girls a fleet of HD boxes, but can't find enough cheap 3.2s yet, hence my low-power box exploration...

The 3.2 box has taught me that nothing succeeds like horsepower...
& HD has one more hurdle to be ready for prime time.. as noted in the 'random pause' thread...
Probably caused by 'housekeeping swamping the entire I/O channel, I'm thinking about next building a 2 drive model, one running Myth and the other the handling the HD content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:41 am 
snaproll wrote:
& HD has one more hurdle to be ready for prime time.. as noted in the 'random pause' thread...
Probably caused by 'housekeeping swamping the entire I/O channel, I'm

I have had great success with using the "delete slowly" in the backend setup. My "random" pauses were not random at all. Leno and Letterman would start recording at 11:30, and the pauses would start and continue for 2-3 minutes until the old shows had purged. I'd see the same with other shows, especially when two or three shows started recording at the same time, each with old shows that needed purging.

By setting to "delete slowly", the problem goes away. The side-effect: you delete stuff, and the free space doesn't show up until several hours later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:50 pm 
I'm already at 'delete slowly'.
It demoed an improvement when I induced deletes while HD was playing, using Mythweb.

The random pauses are really random, not 'end of day things..
That's why I suspect Linux housekeeping, that grabs the I/O channel completely for a moment, & chokes off the HD stream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:47 pm 
tjc:

So I noticed there's a NEW Nvidia driver (1.9755)
& WTH this thing's a testbed... So I did the install...
Without the merge the kernal & modules... Hey already done- right ?

Long story short the video is up & running with the NEW nvidia driver.... (looks fine..)
but still no black OSD, & top shows 89 Mythfrontend & 9 xorg trying to run xvmc & Bob.

I figure now this is a YMMV thing based on this hardware...
or a dropped stitch in the kernal & modules merge (which I didn't re-do...)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3