View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:19 am 
Wow Did I miss a string here. I have often read comments and thought they were a bit on the brutal side but then in real life I am that way too. I am also always willing to help out any of my co-workers sometimes with a bite of sarcasm. I am a tester and I did not test the R5E50 release until it was out, my bad. If I had I would have commented on my problems with video tearing and challenges downgrading my Nvidia drivers (source headers problem). Downgrading drivers took care of video problem. I would have commented on the lirc reconfig issues (changing lirc0 to lirc1, gave up on hauppage went to my all in wonder remote). My problems with mythstream (haven't figured that out yet, haven't tried to hard though). My xorg challenges (thank god for randr, ok god probably isn't to concerned about my tv watching issues). R5E50 has been a bit of a rough transition but my box has never been more solid my picture never better. I will take responsibility for not testing, my kids beg me not to because invariably I mess it up.
I am glad Cecil and Dale take it personally, I take pride in what I do also. When I post I know that if I give details I will usually get help.
R5E50 has a few significant challenges, solutions have been put forth, solve them and it is a worth while upgrade.

Craig

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:12 pm 
First off - Myth is awesome. I dont want to think about watching TV without it.

Second - Knoppmyth is awesome too. I've gone down the raw Myth install track and didn't like it. The SO and I like KM so much that we decided that on each upgrade, when I got it going, I'd donate to the KM folks. Not much, but its a show of appreciation. This is only my second upgrade and it is taking longer than I expected... (checks in the mail cecil :D )

Seems to me that we have two types of folks here:

- those who dont mind (or enjoy) getting their hands a little dirty - to get in and help out and solve problems and answer questions online. The early adopters.
- those who just want to install and move on (include me here). We prefer to wait for the early adopters to get the kinks out. The main market.

Given the size and complexity of KM releases, perhaps its time to look at splitting the release into pilot and general releases targetted towards these two audiences. Right now each release includes significant new functionality and lots of bug-fixes - which means that its a new entity with a significant testing load. This puts pressure on the KM team to get it right otherwise all us main market folks start getting snooty about the less than perfect release.

The process would be something of the form:
- release pilot. This is as clean as the KM team can get it
- collect and address issues for (say) 4-8 weeks. No new functionality!
- release general

Advantages are:
- more stable general release
- all the early adopters will help test it. Thats shared workload, more eyes and more unusual configurations
- a higher standard main release
- fewer problems for us in the main market
- a clear delineation of which release is best to work with.

Cheers.
Paul

p.s. the whole 'hating normal TV' thing is a real advantage. When we're on holiday (i.e. away from home) we never watch TV 'cause its just so awful.

iscraigh wrote:
Wow Did I miss a string here. I have often read comments and thought they were a bit on the brutal side but then in real life I am that way too. I am also always willing to help out any of my co-workers sometimes with a bite of sarcasm. I am a tester and I did not test the R5E50 release until it was out, my bad. If I had I would have commented on my problems with video tearing and challenges downgrading my Nvidia drivers (source headers problem). Downgrading drivers took care of video problem. I would have commented on the lirc reconfig issues (changing lirc0 to lirc1, gave up on hauppage went to my all in wonder remote). My problems with mythstream (haven't figured that out yet, haven't tried to hard though). My xorg challenges (thank god for randr, ok god probably isn't to concerned about my tv watching issues). R5E50 has been a bit of a rough transition but my box has never been more solid my picture never better. I will take responsibility for not testing, my kids beg me not to because invariably I mess it up.
I am glad Cecil and Dale take it personally, I take pride in what I do also. When I post I know that if I give details I will usually get help.
R5E50 has a few significant challenges, solutions have been put forth, solve them and it is a worth while upgrade.

Craig
[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:44 pm 
aa1979 wrote:
As with any kind of linux or OSS environment, the attitudes tend to be exclusionary, arrogant, and a bit antagonistic to the users/nondevelopers.

I just don't see that often enough to think of the KnoppMyth forum in that way. There are plenty of contributors who keep non-contributors in mind when making improvements, and there are a lot of very helpful, patient people here on the forum. I would say that the attitudes here tend to be helpful and inclusive, but perhaps your experience differs from mine.
aa1979 wrote:
I do find these forums to be a very valuable resource (in fact, they're essentially mandatory to get knoppmyth working right)

As I mentioned in my previous post, if this is your experience, then it's an unfortunate side-effect of the hardware the testers have to work with. I can tell you that I personally test Dragon with each pre-release and make sure it's working on Dragon for new installs and upgrades from the previous release. You wouldn't have to do anything to your Dragon to make it work, but your hardware may have gotten little attention in the previous development cycle.

The best way to solve this problem is to contribute the necessary fixes to make your hardware work and ask to be able to test pre-releases. Without contributed fixes, maybe your hardware will always need extra attention after a release.
aa1979 wrote:
and I try to contribute how I can, especially helping newbies - I think that's how people like us can help.

That is excellent, and I'm very glad to hear it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:53 pm 
iscraigh wrote:
I will take responsibility for not testing, my kids beg me not to because invariably I mess it up.

This is true, but consider the consequence - E50 doesn't work for you out of the box, because your chances to test it before release were not taken. Think of it like a flu shot - you may have some minor problems for a couple of days, but you prevent a major problem N weeks from now.
iscraigh wrote:

Very true, and there have been efforts to roll those E50 fixes into the next release. I haven't personally worked with most of them, though I did test the font anti-aliasing fix and submit a patch for it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:01 pm 
tuatara wrote:
Given the size and complexity of KM releases, perhaps its time to look at splitting the release into pilot and general releases targetted towards these two audiences. Right now each release includes significant new functionality and lots of bug-fixes - which means that its a new entity with a significant testing load. This puts pressure on the KM team to get it right otherwise all us main market folks start getting snooty about the less than perfect release.

That model seems to be what major Linux distros have done, and if it can work for them, it can probably work for us. I think we need to put some infrastructure in place before that can happen, but it's being worked on.

Post subject: Re: samba/smb and R5E50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:30 pm 
maverik044 wrote:
Couldn't get Samba to work with my previous smb.conf or default one that is installed.

Had to add to /etc/samba/smb.conf
passdb backend = smbpasswd

to get it to work.

Not to beat a dead horse, and just FYI for those whom it'd help, I had to use this tip in order to get my upgrade install of R5F27 to not immediately crash the smdb service.

Post subject: Re: samba/smb and R5E50
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:31 am 
balthisar wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse, and just FYI for those whom it'd help, I had to use this tip in order to get my upgrade install of R5F27 to not immediately crash the smdb service.

Same here. I don't know if crashing was involved, but adding that line caused my samba share to start working again.

Go to page Previous  1, 2