View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: samba/smb and R5E50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:26 pm 
Couldn't get Samba to work with my previous smb.conf or default one that is installed.

Had to add to /etc/samba/smb.conf
passdb backend = smbpasswd

to get it to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:37 am 
Site Admin
Samba out the box should just work. Start it and you should be able to access it \\ip.of.back.end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:51 pm 
doesn't for me, smb panic's and dies with either the R5E50 installed smb.conf or my own smb.conf. Don't understand why cause "passdb backend = smbpasswd" is suppose to be the default when not specified. I added it to smb.conf and now it works. Thought I'd pass it along in case any else had the same problem.

I get this in the log:
Code:
[2007/01/28 23:13:00, 0] passdb/pdb_interface.c:make_pdb_method_name(174)
  No builtin nor plugin backend for smbpasswd guest found
[2007/01/28 23:13:00, 0] lib/util.c:smb_panic(1599)
  PANIC (pid 2950): pdb_get_methods_reload: failed to get pdb methods for backend smbpasswd guest

[2007/01/28 23:13:00, 0] lib/util.c:log_stack_trace(1706)
  BACKTRACE: 7 stack frames:
   #0 /usr/sbin/smbd(log_stack_trace+0x23) [0x822bdf3]
   #1 /usr/sbin/smbd(smb_panic+0x46) [0x822bee6]
   #2 /usr/sbin/smbd [0x81ead11]
   #3 /usr/sbin/smbd(initialize_password_db+0xe) [0x81ead5e]
   #4 /usr/sbin/smbd(main+0x591) [0x82c2771]
   #5 /lib/tls/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xc8) [0xb7bc8ea8]
   #6 /usr/sbin/smbd [0x8082b21]
[2007/01/28 23:13:00, 0] lib/util.c:smb_panic(1607)
  smb_panic(): calling panic action [/usr/share/samba/panic-action 2950]
/usr/share/samba/panic-action: line 53: mail: command not found
[2007/01/28 23:13:00, 0] lib/util.c:smb_panic(1615)
  smb_panic(): action returned status 127
[2007/01/28 23:13:00, 0] lib/fault.c:dump_core(173)
  dumping core in /var/log/samba/cores/smbd

Post subject: R5E50 Samba
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:38 am 
Thanks, you are a genius. I actually had:
Code:
passdb backend = smbpasswd guest

which didn't work, but removing the guest did

I am getting very frustrated that everything seems to be broken in R5E50. Don't know why I upgraded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:26 am 
Quote:
I am getting very frustrated that everything seems to be broken in R5E50. Don't know why I upgraded.

Glad to know I'm not the only one to feel this way. Though, to quote Cecil, and I know I will get hammered again...

Quote:
Yeah... I thought it more important to release than debug. Perhaps I'll get to it before the next release.

Thats a direct response to the boot color bar not working. Which I don't place much importance on, but things like working remotes, working sound, missing config files and such are important to a release, and these have all been issues.

I'll be honest, I'm no coder, I'm a user. I've been using KM since R5C7, and everything just worked (ok, I had to tweak an ATI card), this release, at least for me, and some others, has been a total disaster. Many of us made the choice to KM to stay away from Windows MCE. Many people are Linux novices with little or no experience. I know Windows (and Linux) users that see the mention of the CLI and say "forget it, it's too hard for me." We don't want to leave that impression by having to make fixes for broken stuff in a release, do we?

I remember talking with Cec on IRC kicking off the release of E50, thinking this was Xmas eve or the night before, and in that conversation I was told "I prefer to release quality, not quanity Dak." I was impressed to hear that.

And then comes the release... It's been one problem after another for me, and many others. My remote didn't work, and I had to manually create a modprobe.conf file. My remote still doesn't work, I grew so frustrated that KM is running as my backend only and MythDora is running on my frontend. Hey, at least my remote works in MD.

And I know I'll get this too from Cecil...

Quote:
Ok smart guy. Put up or shut up. What are you doing to improve KnoppMyth?

What am I doing? The same thing that all these other users are doing, telling you that things are broke and need fixed. And if you notice, when I do see a question I can answer, I answer it, smart guy. So I am trying to do something to support KM.

In closing, I love KM, but right now it has some problems, and rather than fight the problems, I've used another solution. Put another release out, and I'll even try it out. Maybe I can be 100% KM again, instead of running a hybrid system.

Sorry if I pissed anyone off. All I want is a working solution, nothing something that needs a gazillion fixes just to be made usuable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:30 pm 
Site Admin
I tested Samba and it just works. I stand by my statements. I try to put out a quality product. Don't mistake this with my statement about the progress bar in bootsplash. Lack of a progress bar is in no way shape or form a bug. It is an option.

You answered questions! Great, the community needs more of this. People that will come back and help others in the forum. But, you are trying to be difficult. I called you out in another thread and you respond in this one... It really seems petty. Like you are trying to point out issues with the release. Yes, R5E50 has a few bugs (2 by your count), some most users won't even encounter. If it is buggy for you, then don't use it. KnoppMyth is an option. You won't find me holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:55 pm 
Cecil, I'm not trying to be difficult by no means, but I am frustrated by the problems I have experienced with this release. I agree, the color bar is a non-issue, but it was your comment that galled me, that I had to call out.

If this is being "difficult" then I honestly do not know what to say. I know I would want bugs and issues pointed out to me, so that I could work on them for the next release.

It isn't just me that has had issues Cecil, look around the forums, I know you seen have the issues raised. Some of your own comments to others have been sharp in reply. Similarly, the message thread "So you want the kernel source code..." made me feel like we burdened you to have supplied it after users asked for it. And why was it needed? To fix something that was broken in this release (Something to do with lirc I think).

The whole point of MythTV is to provide an alternative to Windows MCE. And isn't the point of KM to simplify the process of getting MythTV up and running? I like KM, I don't like running MythDora as my frontend, I want KM as my frontend as well. But, try as I might, I have been met with nothing but problems with this release (yes, I know I am repeating myself), and it is most frustrating. If its frustrating for me, what is going to be like for a novice, installing for the first time and having all these problems? Can you see my point? Or am I still being difficult?

Dak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:34 pm 
Site Admin
Dak48 wrote:
Cecil, I'm not trying to be difficult by no means, but I am frustrated by the problems I have experienced with this release. I agree, the color bar is a non-issue, but it was your comment that galled me, that I had to call out.
Imagine my frustration when I do a release an find that something slipped by the testers and myself. No one is harder on me then me.
Dak48 wrote:
If this is being "difficult" then I honestly do not know what to say. I know I would want bugs and issues pointed out to me, so that I could work on them for the next release.
I've no issue with people pointing out bugs (better solutions are planned for bug reporting). However I wasn't happy with the approach you took. Then to follow it up with the post above. But let's get beyond that...
Dak48 wrote:
It isn't just me that has had issues Cecil, look around the forums, I know you seen have the issues raised. Some of your own comments to others have been sharp in reply. Similarly, the message thread "So you want the kernel source code..." made me feel like we burdened you to have supplied it after users asked for it. And why was it needed? To fix something that was broken in this release (Something to do with lirc I think).
If I'm sharp, that is because I take my work personally. So, you want the kernel source is by no means meant to be taken how you've interpretted it. The idea behind only including the headers w/ R5E50 was that is because in most cases, that should be all that is needed to compile. However, part of the headers got cut out doing that ISO build process. That is something I didn't note until later. This has been corrected.
Dak48 wrote:
The whole point of MythTV is to provide an alternative to Windows MCE.
I don't think so. I kinda like what Isaac has to say about it...
Quote:
I got tired of the rather low quality cable box that AT&T Broadband provides with their digital cable service. It's slow to change channels, ridden with ads, and the program guide is a joke. So, I figured it'd be fun to try and build a replacement. Yes, I could have just bought a TiVo, but I wanted to have more than just a PVR -- I want a webbrowser built in, a mail client, maybe some games. Basically, I want the mythical convergence box that's been talked about for a few years now.
Dak48 wrote:
And isn't the point of KM to simplify the process of getting MythTV up and running?
Part of it, yes.
Dak48 wrote:
I like KM, I don't like running MythDora as my frontend, I want KM as my frontend as well. But, try as I might, I have been met with nothing but problems with this release (yes, I know I am repeating myself), and it is most frustrating. If its frustrating for me, what is going to be like for a novice, installing for the first time and having all these problems? Can you see my point? Or am I still being difficult?
Dak
I glad that you like KnoppMyth. I myself have never tried MythDora. All I can say about folks having issues to to post details and have some patients. Perhaps you did, I don't know. I can understand and hopfully you can understand mine. You should note, while the entire idea behind KnoppMyth is to make things easy, I could care less about the problems a novice might have (if they don't post details). KnoppMyth isn't for the newbies. The idea is to make it easyl. We have folks on the forums that make far more computing experience than I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:47 am 
Arrgggh! I didn't post details because others beat to me it, and I tried the remedies offered, nothing worked to no avail.

Then Cecil, I see someone post about having all kinds of problems with their setup and rather than decide to work it out, they are leaving. You remember the post, the one about Ubuntu, KM and MythDora, don't you?

It was your response that just floored the hell out of me. Wasn't it something along the lines of "good we don't need you here!?" Cecil, that kind of an attitude is a real turn off. What the person was saying, was I'M FRUSTRATED AS HELL AND I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE! Granted, I read the message and was kind of put off by his attitude as well, but your response, well, were this the corporate world, it would have been out of line.

Granted I know alot of work has gone into KM, but for crying out-loud, lose the condescending attitude, huh? For some reason, a lot of developers seem to have that attitude. I guess its because users are lusers, huh?

I learned a long time ago, there is a right way and a wrong way to talk to your users/clients/customers/lusers. Whatever you wish to view them as, is up to you. I learned this lesson working for a Fortune 500 company, and yes, I'm a Harley biker and anything but politically correct, and I caught hell a lot for saying things like "grayware" or "no, you cannot do that with my LAN!"

And I stand corrected, it MythTV was a semi-replacement for Tivo, not Windows MCE. Tivo, MCE, still a piece of crap. I think MythTV though, is on the right track. I was over at the MythTV site the other day, looking at plugins, and am quite impressed by the plug-ins being worked on. And I am sure you are most frustrated with the bugs in this release, having gotten past you and the testers. I remember talking to you on IRC just before Christmas, and was pleased to have talked to you for a bit, and know about the upcoming Christmas release. I look forward to upcoming releases even, because I really wish to get away from my hybrid solution that I am using now.

I'll do anything I can do to help, that is within my means Cecil, but I will not tolerate being called "difficult" for expressing my opinion about bugs, attitudes and real issues with KM.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:58 pm 
This sort of conflict appears from time to time, and without commenting on this specific instance, I thought I'd offer my general perspective.

KnoppMyth exists because Cecil created it, and he along with many very talented people continued to improve it over the years. It is a labor of love - what other phrase could describe something that people spend their free time on? Because it is a labor of love, no developer is required to view the users as customers, and no user is expected to view the developers as employees or paid service providers. That does not preclude civility on both sides, of course, and civility is certainly encouraged to keep the project healthy, but this isn't an office environment and has few similarities to one.

People who are spending their free time working on a project that gives them joy tend to not appreciate it when someone who has benefited from their work says that they ran into too many problems and jumped ship to another solution. The typical post usually translates to, "I have been putting your hard work to good use for the last N releases, and now that I'm having trouble, I just wanted to fire a parting shot and say that this other project is much better." Certainly not every person who stops using KnoppMyth does this - but those who do are misunderstanding the relationship between open source contributors and users. They may even go on to alienate the developers of the other project.

Granted, people who lob grenades and leave probably think they're creating a stir among the project contributors who will try to fix whatever problems that person encountered, and in their own way, they think that they'll help to improve the project. However, because this is something people do for their own enjoyment, contributors are less likely to fix such a person's problems than they are to fix the problems of someone who says "I upgraded to version XYZ, and my FOO card isn't working. Can someone help me? If I get it working, I'll write up a HOWTO for others." I guess the best way to summarize this is that people tend to want to associate with people who don't frustrate them. It's just human nature. While I would encourage all contributors to abstract away any tone or harsh language they see in someone's post, focusing instead on the substance of what's being said, it's not always going to happen.

If KnoppMyth were perfect, we wouldn't still be working on it. The fastest path to perfection is a user base who appreciates the time and effort put into it by its contributors, and reacts accordingly when they encounter a problem. Nontechnical users can file bug reports, write documentation, and maybe help answer some basic questions on the forum to free up guru time. Technical users can become one-time or long-term contributors at any time by pitching in.

There's no "us" and "them" here, it's all just "us" - people who are here because of KnoppMyth. There's clearly a lot of passion in this community, and while that's certainly an indicator of a successful project, the downside is that it can cause friction between community members.

Any suggestions on how we can improve the situation?

Post subject: Apologies
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:12 pm 
My apologies to Cecil and everyone who contributes and makes KnoppMyth such a great open, free alternative that evolves and morphs to become better and better everyday. You all are doing a wonderful job and please keep up the good work!! I know that KnoppMyth is a labour of love and that everyone stands on the shoulders of giants. To have the support for myriad hardware is a tough thing to pull off, and KnoppMyth does it very well.

When I said that I don't know why I upgraded because everything isn't working now, I meant that everything was working so beautifully and reliably before the upgrade.

I would never jump ship to another distro, in fact I tried Freevo prior to using KnoppMyth with no luck. I have been a user of KnoppMyth for years and have found it to be very easy to configure, use, & upgrade. There are some pains/frustrations when I upgrade and some things get broken, then I have to remember how I fixed them last time (which usually was a long time ago, since KM is so stable) or do a little poking around on this forum to get the answers.

Keep up the good work!

Don't let the bastards crowd you down...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:45 pm 
So basically Human, what you are saying is that users don't have a right to express their frustration with a borked release?

If that is the case, Cecil, you can ban my IP, as if I can't speak my mind freely, then I want nothing else to do with borked releases or not being able to speak my mind.

I'll jump ship and go to the MythDora people, least they be more friendly than the folks here.

sign me....

pissed off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:51 pm 
Site Admin
Dak48 wrote:
So basically Human, what you are saying is that users don't have a right to express their frustration with a borked release?

If that is the case, Cecil, you can ban my IP, as if I can't speak my mind freely, then I want nothing else to do with borked releases or not being able to speak my mind.

I'll jump ship and go to the MythDora people, least they be more friendly than the folks here.

sign me....

pissed off!

My personal opinion is: "All constructive criticism, all bug fixes/improvements, and all helpful info are welcome".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:58 pm 
Dak48 wrote:

Actually, I'm not saying that. What made you think I was?
Dak48 wrote:
If that is the case, Cecil,

If you have issues with what I said, you can discuss it with me, as it was my post containing my views.
Dak48 wrote:
you can ban my IP, as if I can't speak my mind freely, then I want nothing else to do with borked releases or not being able to speak my mind.

I honestly don't see how you drew that conclusion from what I said. You should be frustrated if a KnoppMyth release has regressions on your hardware, just as the contributors are frustrated by it, and you should certainly report the problems you're having and try to help the contributors help you. Working with the contributors is the fastest way to make sure your hardware gets fixed in the next release. If I could summarize my post in a word, it'd be "empathize." If everyone tries to understand their relationship to the others on the forum, it'd correct assumptions and change the way people interact, avoiding blowups.
Dak48 wrote:

sign me....

pissed off!

I'm very confused. Dak48, I'm sorry if something about my post came off as unfriendly, and I'm really not sure what would have been the final straw for you. If you search for posts I've made, you'll see that I've been very friendly and helpful.

You obviously do care about KnoppMyth or you wouldn't be so upset right now, so please consider sticking around and helping us help you fix your regressions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:15 pm 
As with any kind of linux or OSS environment, the attitudes tend to be exclusionary, arrogant, and a bit antagonistic to the users/nondevelopers. The problem is certainly not unique to the knoppmyth forums but I've accepted that as something that won't be changing any time soon. I do find these forums to be a very valuable resource (in fact, they're essentially mandatory to get knoppmyth working right) and I try to contribute how I can, especially helping newbies - I think that's how people like us can help.

Go to page 1, 2  Next