View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:25 am 
Found a minor gotcha for users of Mythwelcome (otherwise, R5F1 upgrade was my smoothest yet!).

If you are using Mythwelcome and have disabled "backend waits for frontend to connect before shutting down", right after the mythrestore, the backend will shutdown the computer after the timeout. Unless you are very fast completing the setup, you won't complete it :shock:

To solve the problem, right after the restore database completes, <ctrl><alt>F1 to go to the console, log in and execute "mythshutdown -l" (that's a small "L") to lock the shutdown. Then <alt>F7 to get back to the install process. Once the install is complete, "mythshutdown -u" will unlock the shutdown (this can also be done from the mythwelcome menu).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:22 pm 
See this thread for information about an issue with bootsplash scrambling the virtual consoles when using an nVidia card with the nVidia drivers: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10793

To fix this you can disable bootsplash by re-running the /usr/local/bin/config_bootsplash.sh script.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:27 pm 
tjc wrote:
See this thread for information about an issue with bootsplash scrambling the virtual consoles when using an nVidia card with the nVidia drivers

It should be noted that only some nVidia chipsets seem to have this problem. 6200, 7300, and 7600 in particular do not have this problem, in my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:59 pm 
tjc, I suggest adding an item to your excellent guide that folks who are using the JFS filesystem on their system should install "jfsutils" ASAP after installing R5F1.
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install jfsutils

This package includes fsck.jfs, which is needed to replay the filesystem journal during recovery after a crash/power-fail/etc.

I've had 2 "events" this week, and each managed to bork one of my JFS filesystems. R5F1 refused to mount the damaged system each time (since it couldn't perform the journal recovery). Fortunately, I'm running a dual-boot setup, and after re-booting to R5D1, the journal file was applied, and R5F1 was then happy to mount the drive.

Linux Registered User #79908

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:06 pm 
I think you just did. ;-) Good work. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:09 am 
Known Changes #5 says:

Quote:
if you are upgrading from a version older than R5E50 the DB configuration contains references to the obsolete names

but the Post Install Setup instructions referenced (#1) say:

Quote:
If you are upgrading from a version of KnoppMyth before R5D1, and you have a PVR card, you must drop all of your card definitions and recreate them!

So... which one is it? R5E50 or R5D1? (I'm on R5D1.) And thanks so much for the HowTo :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:33 am 
Site Admin
Delete the cards and recreate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:58 am 
What the man said.

It was an editing miss when I produced the updated version of the hints for R5F1 which I'll correct ASAP.

Edit - DONE. Ugh. Where am I going find time to update these for R5Fx? :? :( I should really be at the office right now getting the new workstation box they dropped on me this week into usable shape before it destroys my productivity next week too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:25 am 
tjc wrote:
Ugh. Where am I going find time to update these for R5Fx? :? :(

Just make a note that it may not be comprehensive until you get more community feedback. And relax, this is your hobby, remember? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:19 pm 
Thanks for the clarification and update :-) I really appreciate your quick responses. Unfortunately, I've got another one:

Known Changes section, #1.3 references a /myth/backup/restore.list file. I've performed a mythbackup, but I'm not seeing this file. Is there some other action that produces this file? And if so, could the 1.3 paragraph be clarified (when you get a chance ;-)) to indicate that? Thanks :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:28 pm 
cmshawn2 wrote:
Known Changes section, #1.3 references a /myth/backup/restore.list file. I've performed a mythbackup, but I'm not seeing this file. Is there some other action that produces this file? And if so, could the 1.3 paragraph be clarified (when you get a chance ;-)) to indicate that? Thanks :-)

Please see the "Taking advantage of the enhanced backup and restore scripts" posting linked to above, under the "Using the supplemental backup and restore lists" heading. The backup.list and restore.list files are (optional) inputs, not outputs. They don't exist unless you create them.

The Hint's are already large enough to frighten people off as it is, without duplicating more information which exists elsewhere and which we've provided links to. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:34 pm 
Ah, sorry. I saw the Wiki link, but not this one.

I think perhaps some of my problems with interpreting the post is that I've never done a backup or upgrade of a KM system before. Much of the language feels like it assumes a certain level of KM admin mastery. (While I'm a decent Linux admin, I've not done much with my KM box besides install and manage recordings through the FE.)

That said, I'm immensely appreciative for the Hints writeup at all, as well as your quick responses :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:36 pm 
It might be worth mentioning, even if only in this comment ;-), that when Auto Upgrade issues dire warning that it's going to format ALL of /dev/hda it's not actually going to format your /myth directory (where the mythbackup you made before upgrading resides).

That one was good for a heart-stopping moment :shock: (I'd told it to go ahead - forgetting that /myth/backup was on /dev/hda.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:54 pm 
Site Admin
You must have missed something. The Auto Upgrade process specifically mentions which partition it will wipe clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:25 pm 
Does it mention the partition by device or mount point? It's entirely possible that I mis-read /dev/hda1 as /dev/hda.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next