View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:20 am 
I looked at the hints and tips for R5F1 installation and it mentioned that if I did a manual install for R5E50 then I had to do another to do the update.

The only reason I did a manual last time was because I only had a SATA drive. Do I still have to do the manual update or has the auto-upgrade been updated to recognize the SATA installation?

And if I have to do the manual update, what is the process? The hints/tips says to refer to the 'pamphlet'?

Thanks in advance - I know nothing about this stuff but would like to upgrade the software on my box.

jacques

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:12 pm 
The bit that you're referring to says:
Quote:
Please note, Auto Upgrade only works if you originally did an Auto Install. If you did a manual install you need to do a manual upgrade. The important distinction between auto and manual install here has to do almost entirely with your disk layout, and in particular if your root partition and swap are in the "expected" locations. Whether you've manually added new software or patches on top of that original install generally doesn't matter. On the other hand, if you had started with an auto install, done all the device name fixups required, and moved the disk to a different location on the IDE bus, auto upgrade wouldn't work. See the pamphlet for details on doing a manual upgrade.

If you have partitioned your disk in a standard KnoppMyth layout where /dev/sda1 is /, /dev/sda2 is swap, and /dev/sda3 is /myth then you can probably use auto upgrade. The location of /myth isn't actually critical since you can always pause at the start of Phase 2 and mount it. On the other hand, if your root and swap are not partition 1 and 2 of the drive you're SOL.

A link to Cecil's Pamphlet is provided at the top of the posting where it says:
Quote:
This is also intended to be a supplement to Cecil's Pamphlet and change list rather than a replacement. As a result it tends to skip issues they cover, so don't forget to review those before you start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:27 am 
According to df my disk is:
/dev/sda1 /
/dev/sda3 /cache
/dev/sda4 /myth

So.... I would follow the pamphlet's (thanks for the link!) instruction for manual install to the point where manual upgrade takes over?

Thanks again.... I hate to mess with a working system but I want to get to MythTV 0.21 for the storage groups function. I would like to add another big SATA drive and it looks like storage groups makes it easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:56 am 
KnoppMyth R5F1 uses MythTV 0.20.1.

MythTV 0.21 hasn't been released yet, and Cecil only uses "stable" released versions.

BTW - I suspect that you can renumber the swap partition non-destructively and then be able to use auto upgrade in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:42 am 
Ok, thanks. That takes the pressure off for the upgrade I guess.

Can I just add my new SATA drive and redirect /myth/recordings to be on the new drive? And not touch anything else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:26 am 
See the LVM HowTo pages on the wiki.

Doing a manual upgrade really isn't that hard, and R5F1 has any number of improvements over R5E50. I'd rank it up there with R5C7 as far as rock solid releases go. Definitely worth the price of admission...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:12 pm 
I second that, kudos to all involved. F is worth a hundred times the price tag.

500gb SATA
1x Plextor PX-M402U
1x HD5000
R5.5 Upgrade from F27

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:32 am 
I read through the change log but nothing sticks in my head. As a record stuff and watch it guy, what will I notice from the upgrade?

And given I have a working setup now, is there a WIKI entry or FAQ that describes going from a working system to one built on LVM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:13 am 
More themes, reliability improvements both at the MythTV and system level, recording quality improvements with the new ivtv drivers, improved hardware support, additional system monitoring capabilities, improved support for other media (music, videos, ...), improved streaming support, ... You may not care about the last couple, but there are improvements over such a broad spectrum that there should be something for everyone.

As for LVM, if you search the wiki for "LVM" the very first match it comes up with contains the details for doing the conversion. The basics are fairly obvious if you think about it, setup the new disk as LVM, copy the existing contents of the partition it will be replacing over there, add the space from the old partition to the LVM volume and extend the file system to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:42 am 
Thanks, that upgrade plan sounds good.

I just upgraded from a 250GB disk to a 500GB disk using dd and gparted.

So I have the 250GB disk as a backup that I know works.

I may go ahead and give the software upgrade a shot knowing I have something to fall back on should I screw it up.

Thanks for your help!