View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Author Message
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:12 am 
Offline
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:20 am
Posts: 389
HOWTO: Update FUPPES to SVN586 (for R5F27)

I could not get the version of FUPPES that came with R5F27 to work with all my gear. However, the latest development version of FUPPES is a really nice UPnP server that seems to support everything I throw at it (with is not very much so far).

I was especially interested in getting my iTunes collection properly shared. See my other HOWTO post on adding iTunes support.
http://www.knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17265

Change to root user and remove current version of fuppes:

Code:
su -
apt-get remove fuppes


Download and install the new version:

Code:
wget http://www.psicat.com/Nathan/downloads/fuppes-svn586_SVN-r586-1_i386.deb
dpkg -i fuppes-svn586_SVN-r586-1_i386.deb


Please let me know if you have any problems with this step. I built this package, so I am not sure if you will be missing anything (hopefully not).

Delete all the old config file(s):

Code:
rm /root/.fuppes/*


Get the new FUPPES vfolder.cfg file:

Code:
cd /root/.fuppes
wget http://www.psicat.com/Nathan/downloads/vfolder.cfg


Run FUPPES from the command line and it will ask you some questions and create config files for you.

Code:
fuppes


Answer all the questions and then type "q" to quit FUPPES.

Edit your new /root/.fuppes/fuppes.cfg file to make everything match your setup.

Optional -- download and look at my fuppes.cfg file (customized for KnoppMyth and my setup).

Code:
wget http://www.psicat.com/Nathan/downloads/fuppes.cfg


Make sure you follow the MythWeb page instructions on disabling UPnP in mythbackend and start FUPPES.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: Fuppes howto
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:02 pm 
Offline
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:49 pm
Posts: 26
Location: St. Louis, MO (USA)
Thank-you SO much for this!

I have a 60GB Playstation 3 I want to use as my MythTV front-end on my plasma TV upstairs (Myth is on a projector in my basement).

I had no luck getting the default uPnP client working right with the PS3, even though my PS3 has the latest 2.10 firmware on it.

I switched to Fuppes bundled with R5F27 and then the PS3 could see it on the network, but still couldn't get any content to stream between the two devices properly.

The build you posted here works!

Only problem I'm still having is, it doesn't seem like Fuppes wants to start up with Myth at boot. I have to manually SSH into the box and issue the fuppesd command as root. I've already tried following the instructions on the mythweb page to use update-rc.d to add Fuppes on boot - but for whatever reason, that no longer seems to be working since I replaced the original one with your version?

(I'm wondering if the fuppes startup script file in the /etc/init.d folder needs to be replaced/modified with a different one for this svn version of Fuppes, perhaps?)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: re: Fuppes howto
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:25 am 
Offline
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:20 am
Posts: 389
kingtj wrote:
Thank-you SO much for this!

You are welcome. I'm glad someone else found it useful.

kingtj wrote:
Only problem I'm still having is, it doesn't seem like Fuppes wants to start up with Myth at boot. I have to manually SSH into the box and issue the fuppesd command as root. I've already tried following the instructions on the mythweb page to use update-rc.d to add Fuppes on boot - but for whatever reason, that no longer seems to be working since I replaced the original one with your version?

(I'm wondering if the fuppes startup script file in the /etc/init.d folder needs to be replaced/modified with a different one for this svn version of Fuppes, perhaps?)

It should work... but I have not tested it, so thanks for the heads up. My box is running solid and I have not rebooted it in quite a while. Next time I need to reboot, I'll see what I can find out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Update ?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:10 pm 
Offline
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:49 pm
Posts: 26
Location: St. Louis, MO (USA)
Did you ever get time to look into this any further?

I haven't had a lot of spare time to play around with it on my own Myth box, but I did notice that among other things, Fuppes doesn't seem to automatically add new video entries in its database when they're added to Myth. It appears that right now, you have to manually add them by running fuppes from a command prompt and doing the update command.

It also appears that when I replace the version of Fuppes that came with R5F27 with your svn version, it breaks its support in mythweb. Is that something you've run across too, and have you figured out any fixes for that?


nharris wrote:
kingtj wrote:
Thank-you SO much for this!

You are welcome. I'm glad someone else found it useful.

kingtj wrote:
Only problem I'm still having is, it doesn't seem like Fuppes wants to start up with Myth at boot. I have to manually SSH into the box and issue the fuppesd command as root. I've already tried following the instructions on the mythweb page to use update-rc.d to add Fuppes on boot - but for whatever reason, that no longer seems to be working since I replaced the original one with your version?

(I'm wondering if the fuppes startup script file in the /etc/init.d folder needs to be replaced/modified with a different one for this svn version of Fuppes, perhaps?)

It should work... but I have not tested it, so thanks for the heads up. My box is running solid and I have not rebooted it in quite a while. Next time I need to reboot, I'll see what I can find out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Update ?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:18 pm 
Offline
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:20 am
Posts: 389
kingtj wrote:
Did you ever get time to look into this any further?

No, sorry. I have not been using Fuppes recently. My home setup has changed and it is no longer necessary.

kingtj wrote:
I haven't had a lot of spare time to play around with it on my own Myth box, but I did notice that among other things, Fuppes doesn't seem to automatically add new video entries in its database when they're added to Myth. It appears that right now, you have to manually add them by running fuppes from a command prompt and doing the update command.

I would suggest setting up a cron job (and putting it in cron.hourly) to update the database every hour. There are some examples of this on the Fuppes web site.

kingtj wrote:
It also appears that when I replace the version of Fuppes that came with R5F27 with your svn version, it breaks its support in mythweb. Is that something you've run across too, and have you figured out any fixes for that?

Do you mean the main KnoppMyth web launch page? Mine seems to work fine. Maybe you have it running on a different port?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:18 pm 
Offline
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:07 am
Posts: 1530
Location: California
Old thread but I thought I'd add the command line that can be used to trigger a fuppes database update from the command line / cronjob:
Code:
/usr/bin/wget -O /dev/null -q http://your_ip_address:port#/presentation/options.html?db=update

_________________
Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.


Top
 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 


All times are UTC - 6 hours




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Theme Created By ceyhansuyu