View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:04 pm 
I thought I would put together this little posting to share my experiences with others who may have run into the same issues as I have.

My Setup:
• Athlon XP 2500
• 512 MB of RAM
• KnoppMyth 3.4v5
• KNCR17G Motherboard (nForce2 on-board video, sound, etc.) – I spent hours fiddling with X11 & BIOS configs / drivers, but never got the built in SVideo to give me anything other than a blank screen. My first clue should have been that not even the BIOS boot screen would display on the TV….
• AOpen nVidia FX5200 graphics board – SVideo worked pretty much right out of the box.
• Hauppauge PVR250 Capture board with remote.
• MSI PC11B Wireless Network card (rt2400 chip) - finally got that working reliably after hacking at it for a week.

Problem description:
For me the CNN news ticker was very jittery / choppy on the out-of-the-box config. The same thing is true for any smooth panning motions. My guess this issue happens everywhere, but it’s most perceivable in these situations. I also think I see the same problems when playing a DVD, but I could just be getting paranoid.

Things that I tried:
1) Lowering Screen resolution (no real change)
2) Changing the interlace settings (should be turned off when connected to regular TVs anyway)
3) Fiddling with the X11 modelines (nope)
4) Turning on XV hardware acceleration (possibly slight help, but only marginal – it also makes the on-screen displays grey and generally pretty ugly looking).
5) Playing video files over the network on Windows (video is much smoother – not that this is workable solution though).

What seems to have worked:
• I set overscan parameter in the XF86Config-4 file to 1. This actually fixed the problem but removed too much of the TV picture. It also cut off so much of the MythTV screens that it wasn’t really possible to use the set-up screens anymore.
• Since that’s no good, I set the overscan parameter to .7 and used the video scaling on the setup|TV|Playback config screens. Both X and Y scaling are set to 5%, and I left the X and Y offsets at 0. Note- it was not enough to adjust the overscan, the image needed to be scaled before it got smooth again.

This has given me excellent results. I can no longer tell the difference between the ticker running through MythTV and the live on taken from cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:43 pm 
sorry i tried it and it did nothing. =) thanks for the post though