View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:22 am 
If your tired of mplayer or xine for playing your avi videos.. you can use myths TV player to play your mythvideo files. This is a VERY basic tip.. but it totally escaped me until tonight. under player Video Settings > Player Settings You can erase mplayers play command and type "Internal" *NOTICE the CAPITOL "I" Why would you use this you ask? Well it has a nicer OSD then xine or mplayer.. also if you setup caller ID it would ring through.. or maybe cause you want a change :) I dont know for sure when they put this feature in.. so if its not in .16. Wait till tomorrow night when .17 comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:44 am 
Cool 8) . Does it only work for the myth supported codecs (MPEG2, MPEG4 and RTJPEG?) What about skipping forward/backward in time (files in mythvideo will not have entries in the recordedmarkup table).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:16 am 
That is a cool tip. Now here is a question for you. I have some DVD's ripped "perfect" on to the HD. They are consuming tons of space.

If I use the internal viewer while watching a TV recording, I can press X and it starts transcoding. If I change to the internal viewer will that allow me to press X and transcode the video I am watching?

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:32 pm 
Well, I decided to try this myself so I went to setup -> video -> playback and wrote down the default mplayer command. Then I switched it to Internal (with a capitol I) and went to watch a video. Alls well.

So then I pressed "x" and sure enough the Internal video player apparently does start transcoding the dvd rip! The bad news is that it apparently stays there while transcoding because when I pressed pause the system stayed paused and appeared to be blocking input. So I quick dropped to command line and did a:

killall gdm ; gdm

to get it going again. Funny thing is that the transcoding daemon is still running in the background. I wonder if it is really going to transcode my perfect ripped DVDs into MPEG4?

Now that would be cool. Did everyone know this and I am just now discovering this documented feature or is this some wierd latent feature I uncovered?

Inquiring minds would like to know...

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

:-)

PS, big kudus on Cecil, Cesman, and the whole gang on the R5 alpha release. I am not exactly beating the door down to reformat my working V4R5 production KnoppMyth box with it yet but it sure sounds promising. Can't wait to hear the first field reports come in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:48 pm 
No, it doesn't really work. I checked it out again with some small videos and it does not transcode or at least write a new much smaller file. Bummer. The Internal viewer also had some wierd side effects like the videos were in SAP mode. Strange, I didn't know these videos had spanish sound tracks. That was weird!

Oh well, maybe its a start and someone could use the functionality that is there as a base. In the meantime, is there a utility to mass transcode perfect imported dvds in a directory? I would like to do that still.

I may just reimport them at the "excellent" transcode setting.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:15 am 
There were some posts a few weeks ago about putting nuv files back into the recorded database. If you did that for the vob from the dvd rip, It could well work. It's just mpeg2 after all. Come to think of it, a simple thing to try may be to record a short show, replace the nuv file in /myth/tv with a DVD ripped vob and then try to play it from the watch recordings interface and press X to transcode. If you end up trying this I'd be interested to hear how it goes. I don't have any DVDs ripped to try it with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:30 pm 
the "Internal" video player is great, however, they have got to mute the sound in skip forward or rewind. Having sound while skipping is annoying as hell.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:54 pm 
gr8nash wrote:
If your tired of mplayer or xine for playing your avi videos.. you can use myths TV player to play your mythvideo files.
<snip>

I tried this, but some .avi files looked crappy (particularly my daughter's cartoons) so I instead went to xine and re-mapped the keys so the remote did all the same things as the Internal player.

Is there a way of having it use the xine (or mplayer) video output plugins? Not that I'm going to change from xine, but I think this was what was causing the problem. It needed to use the xxmc output for the nvidia card.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:46 pm 
The xxmc output plugin for xine is functionally equivalent to selecting 'xvmc' for mythtv in the tv playback settings. Whether in xine or mythtv, using xvmc should only make a difference if you're playing back MPEG2 videos, otherwise both programs fall back to xvideo playback. There's no way to use xine's video output inside of mythvideo.