View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Author Message
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:45 am 
Offline
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:59 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Sydney, Australia
I took a look inside lirc-reconfig.sh and found:

if [ `grep -c -e "^P: Vendor=0471 ProdID=0815 Rev= 0.00" /proc/bus/usb/devices` == 1 ]; then # New MCE USB remote:
check_for_multiple_remotes
if [ $? == 1 ]; then # there was already a remote detected
return
else
remote=MCEUSB-new
detected=1
fi
fi

if [ `grep -c -e "^P: Vendor=0609 ProdID=031d Rev= 0.00" /proc/bus/usb/devices` == 1 ]; then # Another new MCE USB remote:
check_for_multiple_remotes
if [ $? == 1 ]; then # there was already a remote detected
return
else
remote=AMCEUSB-new
detected=1
fi
fi

so I think this is why it's detecting it as an "AMCEUSB-new" rather than an "MCEUSB-new" but I'm thinking this should be irrelevant anyway, as long as the correct lircd.conf and lircrc files are in use?

I noticed that the lircrc in the zip file didn't contain any "remote = mceusb" lines for each button, so I thought that could be why nothing was working. I added the lines in, but it didn't help.

Also used irrecord to record a whole new lircd.conf, but still no dice.

Also tried a different (but identical) MCE USB receiver and remote, to rule out a faulty unit.

Finally tried an ATI AIW Remote Wonder (which is RF, not IR, but I think in other respects looks the same to the system) and that did work.

Not quite sure where to go from here as I don't think it will be practical to get another instance of lirc running (for channel changing the cable box) without the MCE USB receiver, which has sockets for two IR blasters?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:32 am 
Offline
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:59 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Sydney, Australia
I decided to try out the lirc files on my older (R5A30.2) box, and the MCE remote worked just fine with them, even though that box runs a serial port IR receiver rather than USB. I suppose this proves that there's nothing wrong with the files, and that they do suit the particular remote control unit.

So unless I have two faulty MCE USB receivers, I'm assuming this proves it must be a driver issue? Is it possible I need to load something other than the lirc_mceusb2 module after all?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:11 am 
Offline
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:45 pm
Posts: 391
Location: Fargo, ND, USA
I am guessing that AMCEUSB-new stands for Automated MCEUSB-new

I am grasping for straws here. In one release (earlier than R5.5) there was a problem with the usb.ids file
Check your usb.ids file
The version number is on line 12 or 13 .
The location may be /var/lib/misc/usb.ids
If not you will have to use (webmin - java file manager - search) to find it

I have no idea if there is any support online anymore for this statement.
Try running running update-usbids as root

Then to check to see if you have a newer usb.ids file.

If that fails compare to your R30 version.
If all else fails try http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

_________________
TVBox
LinHES R8.4


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:49 am 
Offline
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:59 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Sydney, Australia
Thanks TVBox - interesting...
I found usb.ids in /var/lib/usbutils

As you suggested, it looks like there might be a problem with it as I couldn't cat it, it was random characters, so possibly corrupted or compressed? But if it was corrupt - would any USB device be recognised?

So I used update-usbids to install a new one - that was random characters too though, and didn't work either. (tried update-usbids again just in case something went wrong with the download, but same both times)

Then checked the R30 version, at least it was readable, was v1.3, so I tried it out, but the remote still didn't work, even though it did have a line in it "0609 SMK Manufacturing, Inc."

Finally copied into a linux text file from http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids, which is v2016.07.12 - it is much bigger than the one downloaded via update-usbids, and contains "0609 SMK Manufacturing, Inc. 031d eHome Infrared Receiver" which seemed hopeful... yet still no response from the remote after rebooting (again, tried both of my receivers, in case one was faulty).

AMCEUSB-new stands for "Another new MCE USB" so looks like there were at least two versions of the "new" one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:14 am 
Offline
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:59 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Sydney, Australia
Eureka!! Found the issue - just as an experiment, in my hardware.conf file, I tried changing DEVICE="/dev/usb/hiddev0" to DEVICE="/dev/lirc0" and the remote worked, even with the original usb.ids file, or indeed with no file at all - it seems the file is just to give names to the devices when lsusb is run, but isn't actually required for the system to be able to use the devices?

Thanks for your help with this, TVBox, without which I wouldn't have got this far. My next step is to get a second instance of lirc running so that Myth can change the channels on my cable box, but I haven't started to search for that topic yet... our paths may yet cross again!


Top
 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2



All times are UTC - 6 hours




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Theme Created By ceyhansuyu