View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:32 pm 
hello all, i'm very new to linux but i have a plan!

i've had an xp based divx box for some time now but i've wanted to explore linux for a while (all the cool kids are doing it!) and i was very interested with the idea of mythtv and freevo. - just to make the box easier to use and to learn a bit of linux.
i've been playing with knoppix for about a day! - so please bear this in mind when replying to me!!

the ultimate goal is to have a server under the stairs with a few boxes scattered about the house all wirelessly networked etc etc

step one however is to get a SIMPLE, STANDALONE box running for playing the occasional divx, mp3 and genesis rom - the same as i had with XP but under linux. (i don't intend to capture TV just yet but that will follow shortly)

i have knoppix installed to my hdd and running fine, all my divx's run fine as do my mp3s.

What i need your help with is the installation of some sort of front end, like myth or freevo because although i like the look of knoppix on my monitor it is too fiddly for the tv, i just want a menu that says

PLAY DIVX
PLAY GAMES
PLAY MUSIC

this instead of the desktop for knoppix - this is what i understand knoppmyth to do - however i keep reading that i need this and that and a tv tuner and mysql and a backsystem and a front one etc...

what i want to do should be simple, can anyone make it simple for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:57 pm 
well first lets define what knoppmyth is. It is not a program it is an entire linux distribution, so it would be installed instead of knoppix not on top of it.

Secondly mythtv, not knoppmyth does require a tv card, so it probably wouldn't work at this stage for you. I am unfamiliar with freevo. I looked at it before I started using mythtv, but it was not nearly as feature complete so I went with mythtv.

One other thing mythtv does require a frontend and a backend, but they can both be on the same box. This is the way I use it. The only time they are seperate is if you want to do as you explained and have a big server hidden somewhere and serve the data to "frontends".

One last thing if you are wanting to have one server and have the rest of the machines connected wirelessly then you will need 802.11g because 802.11b is not fast enough. This does pose a problem though as not many G cards are supported and I don't know of any that are supported without downloading and compiling a driver for them, as in they will not be supported "out of the box"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:00 pm 
They did. just download and install it [knoppmyth]. You don't need a cap. card, and everything else is setup for you. You can edit /usr/share/mythtv/<menu name>.xml to only have the 3 options you want. (Just comment out the others so you can add them back when/if you wish).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:29 pm 
thanks for replies.. quick too! :D
so if i understand you right you reckon i should just install knoppmyth.
this can be insalled from cd right?
also will it just overwrite my knoppix installation? - i'd like it to
also i wouldn't mind a bit of (simple) info on commenting out things as you suggested (is this just the linux version of using "rem" in and old dos bat file?)

again please excuse my stupidity!!

oh and partitions? - how many? what file structure should they be? (although it's not essential to have anything other than the primary and swapfile since everything i want to watch/listen to will be on cd)

EDIT
i'm downloading knoppmyth (it's an iso so that answers my first stupid question!) - i'll post more silly questions as soon as i fail to get it working!

and thanx for the info on wireless stuff, thats some way off for me yet so i'm not too worried! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:57 pm 
knoppmyth will overwrite knoppix, and you don't have to worry about the partitions it will create them for you if you use the autoinstall, but note it will erase everything on the harddrive.

Graysky do you know something I don't every person on this list that I've seen who has tried to install without a tv card has complained that the frontend will not run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:27 pm 
i'll let you know xsecrets because i shall be trying just that tomorrow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:39 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
Graysky do you know something I don't every person on this list that I've seen who has tried to install without a tv card has complained that the frontend will not run.

I ran the R4V2 auto install on my frontent machine wo/ a cap card and it installed just fine. I quit out of the setup script and configed it to use the master's db. Come to think of it, I believe I can run the frontend as long as mysql is running on the local machine wo/ having the correct IP addy in the mysql.txt file. You only run into problems if you ask it to watch live tv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:47 pm 
I installed the R4V2 version with out the capture card (PVR-250) in the computer, was in route, and it installed fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:57 am 
hmmm maybe something changed in R4V2 cause I know we had several people in the R4 days come into the forums and complain that it wouldn't work and they didn't have a capture card, and cesman at the time said it wouldn't work without it to his knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:56 am 
The version of Myth?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:43 pm 
graysky - elaborate please - you quit out of the setup script - during the setup or as soon as it was done? - configured it to whatty what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:24 pm 
uk-noob wrote:
graysky - elaborate please - you quit out of the setup script - during the setup or as soon as it was done? - configured it to whatty what?

I did the install quite a while ago, but as I recall, I did the install, and quit out of the setup script -- I learned the hard way not to run it or allow it to run on a frontend machine :) Anyway, quit out of the script. It will bitch about not being able to fetch program listings etc. At that point, I remember being able to load the GUI and change some settings around. After quitting, (my install was a frontend remember), I edited the mysql.txt to reflect the master server's info and corrected the password. Everything runs fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:46 pm 
pretty much lost me there! i've not tried to install it yet as i was playing champ manager most of tonight, very sad i know! - i was going to guess what that all meant but that would just annoy everyone i think so i'll install it first and use this info to try and muddle through, if i get stuck (when i get stuck) i'll post again.

thanks a lot everyone.... i will return